Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumours are rife that Toyota has a secret "skunk-works" operation developing and testing plug-in hybrids for commercial release in the near future. However, they are still officially denying this.

But this website: http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/toyotadreamhousepapi.html talks about Toyota's ideas for future houses (built by themselves). They said:

"the house can supply electricity to the battery packs of the vehicles via the stand in the middle of the garage. "

In the picture showing the stand, a Prius is parked next to it....

Does that mean Toyota are considering a plug-in Prius in the future? :wink: 8)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I don't know where they get their garages but I want mine to look like that! Not just some wooden building with walls and a concrete floor.

·
Registered
298 Posts
There was something on the news yesterday that quoted someone from Toyota as saying they'd had an attitude shift about plug-ins. They are now interested in talking to people who are ahead of them in developing the technology. They are also apparently interested in alternative fuels. As far as I'm concerned more knowledge leads to progress and this is an excellent thing. :D

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don't believe the hype & speculation.

Toyota has already designed a system capable of supporting the plug-in ability. It's what we are driving now. There's just a couple on add-on components not included.

The problem is the battery technology. It's simply too expensive still. That cost/duration reality currently makes it impractical.

They're waiting for that final piece to the puzzle. It just doesn't make any sense taking that next step yet. Today's market is preoccuppied with other matters anyway.

It will come... someday.

Patience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
the 'plug-in' vehicle is not a solution to the problem, but rather, an alternative.

last time I looked, my electric bill was no cheaper than my gas bill. it too, is increasing.

i would like toyota to focus more on alternative fuels--perhaps the ones that emit h20 as their biproduct.

water is good!...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have question. what will happen if we have 2 billion vehicles emitting water vapour?? Won't that do something to the water cycle?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Those of you worrying about water need to realize that gasoline burning engines already put out a lot of water. It's not like this is something new and unusual. If something bad were going to happen because we double or triple the water output (while eliminating the carbon dioxide output), I think we'd have seen hints of it already.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Have you ever seen a fuel-cell vehicle in operation? I was surprised to see a steady stream coming out of the tailpipe.

And those supporting the technology have hardly been forthcoming. It wasn't even until last year when Honda released their "sub-zero" that people become aware of the fact that fuel-cell vehicles didn't work in the winter. And still, 20F is no where near close enough for winter operation. Most northern states see temperatures below that every night. Heck, in Minnesota we can go a whole month without seeing a daytime temperature that high. They tend to avoid revealing how long the warm-up process takes before the vehicle is ready to drive too.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well, I haven't seen one in operation, but I was under the impression that the water came out as vapor. But if you're saying that it comes out liquid, maybe they should just capture it in a tank for you to empty somewhere besides on a frozen road. Hmm, is the fuel cell the new James Bond car? :p

·
Registered
582 Posts
fuel cells, was plug-in

Sorry to continue drifting from your topic, clett.

Regular ol' ICEs (like ours) emit most of the water as vapor because of high combustion and catalyst temperatures. As I understand fuel cells, they are not nearly as hot. If so, most or all of the water will appear in the liquid phase.

DAS

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
In a rough attempt to get this thread back on track....

Unfortunately, this doesn't necessarily mark any shift. Toyota has publicly talked about plug-in electric-only, short-range communting cars. Just like the one shown NEXT to the Prius. They're probably just using a Prius also to show the 'see, you can have your electric, OR your long-distance hybrid!' factor.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Takes about 30 seconds (for the Focus FCV) to start and get to READY mode.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Takes about 30 seconds (for the Focus FCV) to start and get to READY mode."

Isn't this about the same as the glow-plug on a diesel?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
If the camera had swept further around the garage it would have shown the Prius was parked in out of the rain in the golf cart garage at the local club.
Not much sense plugging in the almost completely charged batteries in the Prius when shutting down for the night when they will be fully charged after five minutes of driving the next day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
According to the article, the Prius can power the house for 36 hours or the house can charge the Prius. Pretty cool technology. I've already cleaned out the freezer twice this year due to power outages, would be great to plug in the Prius and keep the refrigerator and A/C running for a day.

I agree that charging the batteries in the current generation of Prius doesn't seem to make a lot of sense - however, if the plug-in Prius had more battery capacity it might. Combined with the EV switch it would allow short trips in EV mode, combined with a larger electric motor it should provide better FE.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
548 Posts
RSnyder said:
Well, I haven't seen one in operation, but I was under the impression that the water came out as vapor. But if you're saying that it comes out liquid, maybe they should just capture it in a tank for you to empty somewhere besides on a frozen road. Hmm, is the fuel cell the new James Bond car? :p
I saw the Honda fuel cell vehicle on TV a few weeks ago, and it kinda drips out. It's not like a faucet turned on, it's more like a faucet that won't turn off all the way and just dripdripdrips. It's probably comprable to the water output caused by condensation from a car's AC unit. The cool thing about it tho, is the water is clean. You could drink it if you wanted (and if you were sure the inside of your exhaust didn't have road crap blown up into it). :)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
KTPhil said:
"Takes about 30 seconds (for the Focus FCV) to start and get to READY mode."

Isn't this about the same as the glow-plug on a diesel?
No idea. Don't think I was around for those or just really young to not understand how cars work :oops:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts