Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my daughter a Prius and decided to get one for myself as well. Is there any way that we can program both cars work with all 4 smart key fobs?

I guess another way of asking: Is the key fob programmed for a specific car code... or is the car programmed to recognize more then one key fob code?

I am hoping the later. I would like to be able to operate her car when necessary without carrying (and buying) a key fob for her Prius.

/Jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sharing Smartkeys

I purchased two smartkeys off e-bay ( 2004-5 Prius was totaled by each previous owner ). I own a Toyota dealer scantool with dealer software ( also purchased off e-bay $4K ouch!)

The immobilizer ECU accepted the ‘used’ (programmed for another car) smartkeys but the smartkey ECU would not. I have to use the metal key to unlock the car, after that, the car starts and runs on the used keys in my pocket. I purchased two new metal keys and had them cut for the same car. End Result: 4 dirvers can access and drive the same car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply... even though I was hoping for a different answer. I think we might have to order an extra key or two for each car :(

How many "master" keys do you need to program each ECU? Just one or two? I want to be sure that if we end up losing one key... that we can still get a replacement key from Toyota using the one remaining key. If this is the case... maybe we will figure out a way to live with just two keys for each vehicle.

/Jim

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If the car will start via SKS, then it should unlock via SKS and remote.

There is no subkey on the new prius. That's a throwback from the classic, which had a master key and a sub key. A master key could initiate a registration of another key, but a sub could not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
RE: "If the car will start via SKS, then it should unlock via SKS and remote."

Two different ECU modules and two different programming procedures.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Not for SKS it is not. The immobilizer calls on the SKS for authentication. As for remote, the same receiver is used. If I am not mistaken, SKS ECU is used to authenticate remote as well if you have it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now I'm completely confused (which isn't too difficult) - but can you program a used SKS SmartKey for your Pri that will let you open the doors AND let you start the car?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Actually, you program the car to accept the SKS.

Take for example the homelink. Sure, you use your garage door remote to program the homelink, but only to set the frequency branding and to determine if it is rolling code or not. But for rolling code, the homelink does not adopt the remote's code, it provides its own sequence.
Then, you hit the 'learn' or 'train' button on your garage door power unit so that it can learn the homelink's sequence.

Same for the Prius. The car learns the fob's current sequence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts