Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought about/tried programming for the Prius multi-function display? I wonder what kind of hardware the computer inside uses and what kind of OS it runs. I'm sure that with the Prius and all its computer parts it's going to attract programmer nerds like me who never were any good at working on all-mechanical cars :) I won't rest until I've written a version of Solitaire or Mah Jongg for the Prius!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Word to the Wise

Just a word to the wise: It is illegal in many states to have videos like games and movies displayed where the driver can see them. Also, common sense indicates that this might not be a good idea when the vehicle is in motion.

With this caveate, Coastaltech (not sure about the spelling) had a hookup to run DVD movies through the screen. They probably have a kit for the 2004's by now.

As for tinkering, I'd be careful. Can you imagine if the computer and software that controls the hybrid system in your Prius were as stable as your home PC? Kind of scary. How would you like your auto systems to display the "blue screen of death" or do a power-on-reset (reboot) at 75 mph?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Critical vs. non-critical applications...

Phoenix,

Be sure to see that other thread. I'm talking about modifying non-critical apps within the car: NAV, radio, etc. I'm interested in being able to add my own tweaks or possible even new menus to the system to interface with my apps.

From what I have heard, there are 3 distinct ECUs in the Prius and staying within the bounds of 'safe' modifications should be fairly easy...

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: Critical vs. non-critical applications...

egs said:
Phoenix,

Be sure to see that other thread. I'm talking about modifying non-critical apps within the car: NAV, radio, etc. I'm interested in being able to add my own tweaks or possible even new menus to the system to interface with my apps.

From what I have heard, there are 3 distinct ECUs in the Prius and staying within the bounds of 'safe' modifications should be fairly easy...

On the 2004 Prius, there are 11 ECUs (with another 3 optional ones).
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pri ... ssage/4565

The classic Prius was also up near 10 or so...

Sounds like what you're looking for is the Gateway ECU (the one that gives you all the nifty error codes that mean nothing when you go into the hidden Diagnostic Menu).
If you're able to do some hacking on there, please be sure to post your findings on the Technical lists or on the PriusMods yahoogroup. I'm certain that there are many who would like to install audio components and such that aren't the usual Prius-specific components from Toyota...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts