Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at adding a Product Review section to the page. So, before we start reviewing things I thought I would ask for some imput from everyone.

1) Do you think that it would be useful to review products on this page?
2) What items should we review?
3) Would you be willing to assist in the review process, either by providing items or writing reviews?

Thanks

-Jeff
http://www.priusonline.com

·
Registered
311 Posts
jeff said:
We are looking at adding a Product Review section to the page.
Sounds great. It might help counter info like this that I got from "Money Magazine" a couple minutes ago...

So instead of the usual bland suspects, we've rounded up a tastier assortment: models that deliver the great mileage you want, but don't sacrifice what you demand-performance, style, room, comfort, even luxury.

We tested them in similar conditions, driving gently to maximize fuel economy. Our tests, which combined city and highway driving, carefully measured actual consumption to separate the truth from the sometimes-iffy Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) ratings.

Biggest surprise?

That the hybrid king, the gas-electric Toyota Prius, didn't have what it takes to earn a nod. By our reckoning, it makes too many compromises in the name of economy.

Worse, its overall 39 miles per gallon fell short of expectations, and wasn't much better than cars -- including Toyota's own Corolla -- that beat the Prius in other critical categories. In fact, the Prius' highway mileage was matched by the diesel VW Passat and the diesel Mercedes E-Class, both dramatically bigger, faster, plusher, more rewarding cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it would be very useful to review products and to put them into their own special category for the sake of easy access.

Things that come immediately to mind might be features such as MP3 players one could add in (a popular topic now, with the BMW iPod integration), leather, satalite radio, tire inflaters...that's all that I can think of at the moment.

I, for one, would be happy to write reviews for any products I might get. I have yet to get my Prius, but when I do, a month from now, I'll be picking up some stuff, certainly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
jeff said:
3) Would you be willing to assist in the review process, either by providing items or writing reviews?
1. Yes :D
2. Aside from the Prius itself (common features or specific options)? Perhaps anything it doesn't come with as shipped by Toyota; different tires, sun shades, car covers, mobile phones,...
3a. (providing items) No thanks :)
3b. (writing reviews) Would that really be any different from those that have posted what they have and what they (don't) like about it? :)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
jeff said:
We are looking at adding a Product Review section to the page. So, before we start reviewing things I thought I would ask for some imput from everyone.

Thanks

-Jeff
http://www.priusonline.com
This is a SUPER idea, Jeff!

1) Absolutely!
2) I would suggest subcategories:
---2a) Package options (#2, #7, #9, etcetera)
---2b) Non-package options installed at port or dealer (floor mats, window tinting)
---2c) After-market items (3rd party floor mats, window tint installers, sunshades, MP3 players, etc).
3) I would be happy to provide ideas and possibly to take part in reviews for those things that I have purchased, or plan to purchase anyhow.

Of course, there will occasionally be some things that don't fit neatly into these categories. For example, a comparison review between the factory tires and aftermarket tires would possibly be a combination of items 2a and 2c. In this event, it would have to be a judgement call.

There's one suggestion that I have, so as to prevent potential conflicts of interest from going unknown: Anybody who does a review should clearly state up front whether or not they do business with the company making, distributing, or installing any product being reviewed (beyond just being a customer, that is). Kind of like money managers who have radio shows; under "fair disclosure" rules, they have to mention it if they own shares in any company they are discussing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts