Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Anyone have their 2004 go completely dead? That has happened to me twice since Jan. and I had to have it towed to a dealership. All they did was charge the battery and say nothing was wrong !!!!
Since then I've been told by CA Nat. Customer Relations that 2004's have been recalled for reprogramming! Anyone get a letter on this?
I'm frustrated with this car. In addition I only get 32.5 mpg average!
Jan

·
Registered
515 Posts
The absence of any detail at all makes your post look exactly like one that a "troll" would post. Sorry, but we have had that problem in the past.

It would be best to provide us with further information.

What you said was rather vague. But using what's available, is sounds like you drained the 12V battery dead. That permanently reduces it's charge-capacity... exactly the same as a 12V in a traditional vehicle. The proper fix is the same too: replace it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
...what John said....

Hey, "teach," your post does sound like it was written by a troll, particularly because it's your first post, and it's a mysterious "bad car" post. What, are you just now thinking that maybe we can help, fully six months since your problem first began? This all does sound suspcious, indeed.

If we are misreading you and you really are having problems with your car, please provide more details. Be as concise as possible, and please provide whatever you can about the "reprogramming" your service manager discussed with you.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey guys give him a break. Maybe he has just found this forum.

To answer your question. In the US there have been 2 (?) recalls. I dont know whet the first did 40B (?), the other 40D (?) fixed an erroro code readout.

I would suggest you get your dealer to replace the 12v battery under warentee. Also, make sure you are not leaving internal lights or other power consumers on when you park up.

As for the 32mpg, what was your earlier cars getting. Consider your driving style and the terrain. My SUV gets 13ltrs/100Km and my MR2 roadster use to get 7ltrs/100Km.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The people getting 30 somthing MPG reminds me of somthing my dad told me over and over

If your foot does directly from the gas to the brake your doing somthing wrong

This was back when prius wasnt even a gleam in toyota's eye.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Judging from posts in this and other forums, it seems that a small percent of Prii suffer from this sudden death syndrome. The hybrid system fails suddenly and you're left stranded. If this happens to me I'm trading the car in and hasta la vista baby for hybrid technology.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Of course it would be bad if the car did this, but I've seen other cars (normal cars) go dead as well. So I don't think it's an built-in problem for hybrids. It's a problem some cars sometimes have for a lot of different reasons.

We need more details, if it's just a flat 12v battery, then it could have happened to any car.

·
Registered
425 Posts
jamarimutt said:
Judging from posts in this and other forums, it seems that a small percent of Prii suffer from this sudden death syndrome. The hybrid system fails suddenly and you're left stranded. If this happens to me I'm trading the car in and hasta la vista baby for hybrid technology.
Well if you decide to sell, put an advert here first Im sure someone on the waiting list will snap it up! :wink:

·
Registered
928 Posts
BIF said:
... please provide more details. Be as concise as possible, ...
Hey BIF,
I know what you're saying, but seeing these two statements juxtaposed made me laugh :lol:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
RSnyder said:
BIF said:
... please provide more details. Be as concise as possible, ...
Hey BIF,
I know what you're saying, but seeing these two statements juxtaposed made me laugh :lol:
lol..my fault. I meant to say "precise". That was funny...good catch!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Batavier (with emphasis by BIF) said:
Of course it would be bad if the car did this, but I've seen other cars (normal cars) go dead as well. So I don't think it's an built-in problem for hybrids. It's a problem some cars sometimes have for a lot of different reasons.

We need more details, if it's just a flat 12v battery, then it could have happened to any car.

Hmmm...."normal?" I know you meant "non-hybrid" cars.

As for that, every GM car I have ever owned has died at one time or another. Hmmm, this would include a Trans Am, a Corvette, and a Delta 88. Um...er, yeah, "normal" cars...

My BMW never left me stranded. Also a "normal" car...

My Miata only left me stranded twice in 10 years, but both times it was my own damned embarrassing fault. Hmmm, that car was special. But "normal" for the purpose of this thread...

My Toyota hasn't yet left me stranded, but I haven't owned it long enough to really claim any big prize or anything. Yeah, "not normal", I guess.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'll jump in and say that my Prius left my stranded last friday afternoon. All the warning lights were on (the triangle one, vsc, abs, check engine) and the car went into reduced power mode (battery only).

The best part of that was, it happened on the princeton corridor part of Route 1, NJ. Losing ICE power and dropping 15mph from your speed almost instantly is a good way to get yourself killed. I managed to get off the road into a safe parking lot, where I then had the car towed back to Toyota. They should get to look at it today.

So, I know the tendency is to try to shove people who have issues under the rug, but these cars do have some issues. I'm not the first person that I've seen post this problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts