Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Prius on 3 December 2005. Since that time, I have accomplished all locking, unlocking and starting functions with the fob in my right front pants pocket. Worked like a champ. This morning, the fob is in my right front pocket, as usual. I step on the brake and press the power button - and nothing. I took the fob out of my pocket and held it in front of the dash fob insert - nothing. Then I put the fob in the insert slot and it started right up. So far- so good. I get to work, shut down the car and go to lock it by pressing the black button on the door handle. Nothing, it won't lock. So, I press the lock button on the fob and the doors lock. Hmmmm. I asked my wife where her fob is. She says in my purse, which is on the floor behind the seat like it always is. I have no idea what is going on. The fob seems to have taken on a life of its own, and I have to play by its rules. Ideas please.

Thanks,
Fred 8)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Fred, are you saying that your wife's fob is in the car? If so take it out. Also did you check to see if you have inadvertently turned off the smart start system? Check the button under the steering wheel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
firepa63,

You were right on target. The "Key" switch, under the steering wheel, was in the wrong position. I must have hit it last night when I opened the hood to check the oil. A lesson learned.

Thanks for the quick response,

Fred 8)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just to note, the car/fob will display similar behavior just as the battery is about to die. You'll retain (for a short time) the remote functions of the button, but the SKS functions will not work.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
hyperion said:
So that's two years and almost 11 months to the day?
Ok, now I'm confused...

Were you asking how long the battery lasted total before being replaced? The only one I've replaced lasted about 14 months. If you're asking how long I was able to use the remote features without the SKS as the battery started to die then it was just a day or two.

My wife's fob (used much less often) is going on 2 years of service without needing replacement and my current one is nearly 1 1/2 years.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
To be completely clear I've had to replace 1 battery in 1 fob only over the 2 years and 5+ months I've had my Prius.

That said, at approximately 1 year in I had an issue where my SKS ECU was inadvertantly replaced (long story) and I got 2 new fobs with that. I've not yet had to replace a battery in either of those two new fobs (1 year/5mo), but did replace the one in a ~1 year old fob prior to getting the new fobs.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
I realize that the original poster's problem was fixed by the usual method of checking the position of the SMART button under the steering wheel, but...

The Smart-equipped Prius won't lock if it senses a recognized fob in the passenger compartment (and the Smart function is on).

Perhaps the easiest way to check that the keyfob's battery is working, is to press one of the lock/unlock buttons, and watch the little red led on the keyfob blink...

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Batteries on both of my fobs have lasted almost 2 full years since the Prius was delivered to the original selling Dealer. They seem to work well for over 20 feet for the "button" functions, and still fine for the SE/SS functions.

The CR2032 battery is available in drug and electronic stores so finding one doesn't seem to be a problem.

Opening the fob to replace a battery takes a little "doing," though, and you'd need a very small Phillips screwdriver to remove the battery cover plate held in place with 4 screws. There is a thread on battery replacement [SEARCH].

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.