Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all im new here. I just installed a rebuilt H.V. battery in my 05 Prius and after 70 miles all the dash lights came on including the tryangle of deth while driving it. After shutting down the car and restarting it all the lights were still on but i had no ready indicator and all I could do was put it in neutral. No drive or reverse. After getting it towed home i cleared the codes P1116 and P1121 which from what I have read have no connection with the H.V. battery. The car restarted fine and no more dash fault lights and its running fine for about 5 miles now. Has anyone else seen this happen and dose it relate to the battery install ?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Both codes mentioned have to do with the coolant storage tank/valves. The alarms you mention can be caused by a weak 12v battery or a failing inverter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I did do a diagnostic on the 12 v. batt. with the headlights on and got 11.6 volts . a little low so im going to try changing the 12 v. batt. and see how it goes. It seems like the HV batt. is charging ok though when driving it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rebuilt batt. is from Priusrebuilders and rebuilt with gen. 3 cells. Hope it lasts for a while. It has a 1 year guarantee.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks thats what I did. I replaced the 12 v. batt. with a new AGM batt. and now have 93 miles on the car with no problems yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh has any one else installed a H.V. batt. from priusrebuilders and how has it been holding up and how has the tech support been for you ?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Last summer (2013), I replaced the traction battery in our 2002 Prius, which had about 130,000 miles on it at the time. Replacement battery is genuine Toyota part, installed by the local Toyota dealer where we purchased the car new in 2002.

Note: 2002 Prius battery design and voltage are different from 2005 model.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK thats cool. But hasn't any one replaced they're own battery ? Its not that hard saves a lot of $ doing ones own work. Not to much response on this thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well now i have 450 miles on the repairs and today all the dash lights came on again with the red H.V. batt.failure triangle . I had 3 codes one was the H.V. batt. bad code . I cleared them trying to restart the car but now the dash fault lights wont clear and the car wont start or do anything but go into neutral . I did replace the 12 volt batt. before the 450 miles . Dose this sound like a H. V. batt. problem or an inverter problem ? i did notice the H. V. batt. level was full just before the problem arose then after it failed the H. V. batt. was down to 1 bar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can only speculate but what you are calling the Inverter is really the Hybrid power unit. Its life is complicated. It converts the 201V DC power from the traction battery into 3 Phase A/C to run the A/C Motor-Generator units (MG-1 & MG-2) and converts the A/C produced by MG-2 (and MG-1) into High Voltage DC to recharge the Traction Battery. In addition it has an inverter to produce about 14Volts DC (at about 60 Amps to run the car's 12V system and recharge the small 12V battery.

You should never reach one bar on the Traction Battery. In Park or Drive the engine should start and recharge the Traction Battery. One question you need to figure out is whether you are getting the ~14V DC to keep the small battery charged or not. The results of a low 12V battery are varied and strange. It could be that some fuse is blown and you are just running off the 12V battery and the computers are getting confused (due to low voltage) and not doing what is necessary to keep the Traction Battery charged. Or there is a problem recharging the Traction Battery (that would be a bit strange because you should have been able to see your Traction Battery levels go up and down on the display).

Re-check your 12V battery voltage. If it is down the you will know is is not charging. But this sounds like a trip to your Toyota dealer may be necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks that's good information I will recharge the 12 volt batt. and try it again. If it works I will look into weather its charging. The traction batt. indicator was going up and down though before all the problems. Thanks so much. Oh if it could be a fuse what fuse would keep the 12 volt batt. from charging ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK I charged the 12 volt batt. and the dash cleared and the car started. I tested the voltage at the batt. with a meeter and only have 8.9 volts while the engine is running. What would cause the 12 volt battery not to charge ? It seems like this is the problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It could be any number of things. It could be the inverter in the Hybrid control box, or a fuse some where that protects the 12V inverter. I would try to check the voltage in the fuse block located on the driver's side in the engine compartment. The car manual should list the purpose of each fuse. You should look closely (with a flash light) to look for an open fuse link. If I remember there is also a second fuse box under the dash on the driver's side, but I would expect the one you are looking for would be under the hood.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive been reading that the optima is the best 12 volt battery for this car but has any one used an AMG 12 volt battery made for this car with any problems ? Thats what i bought at 136 $ they said it was as good as the optima.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have just used the Toyota batteries and had the dealer install them. I would be more concerned about the low voltage at the battery after the car is powered on and in "Ready" mode. The inverter should be producing about 14V DC to run all the computers and 12 volt equipment.

I think there is a charge limiter in to keep from charging the battery too quickly. Can not remember what the charge current is but I think there are some references in the site archives (if they go back far enough).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its putting out 14.1 volts while on and I got the p08a0 code again ! I called the battery re builder and they are going to exchange the H.V. battery. The battery monitor bars are all over the place even while not driving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts