Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up our new Prius (driftwood pearl - pack. 9) 5 days ago after a 10 week wait . In these 5 days it has stalled (shut down) on us 3 times, all while in electric mode and not moving, twice right after starting and once while waiting at a light. I will,of course, be taking it back to the dealer but wondered if any one has an idea what may be causing this.
So far, barring this problem, we are totally delighted with the car !!

·
Registered
81 Posts
You're joking, right?
It's supposed to shut down when you come to a light! Push on the gas, and you will move forward. (Read your manual.)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What do you mean, "stalled"? Did any warning lights come on?

You do realize that the gasoline engine shuts itself off when it's not needed, and then re-starts itself when it is needed. That's how it works.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I'm not joking, and I have read the manual, and I do know that the engine shuts down when at a standstill. Perhaps my post was not clear.
At all three of these incidents all power went completely off, all panel lights out, as though I hit the button to shut down.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
What does your screen tell you about battery charge etc? Any clues there?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I apologize. I have not heard of this anomaly. Usually you would be presented with a red triangle warning. I would take it back to the dealer immediately. Sounds like a loose connection of some sort. I hope they can fix it quickly so you aren't stranded without your new car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The battery indicator has never gone below the half way point so I don't think that's the problem. I was so startled when it happened that I don't recall seeing any sort of warning symbol. After the dealer has a look I'll report the outcome.
Thanks for the replys !!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer's tech found no pertenant service bullitens and after he checked with Toyota's tech line he suggested I leave the car overnight and let them drive it for a few miles for diagnosis. I asked how many miles and he said "about 50" I turned them down on that. The car's a week old and only has 300 miles on it so I wasn't about to let them joy ride around in it while they try to duplicate the problem. If it happens again I'll go back to them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
let the dealer drive the car

Just my 2 cents. I'd let the dealer drive the car for 50 miles if necessary, in order to get to the problem. The next time it happens might be on the freeway in rush hour traffic, or some other place where it will not be handy or even possible to "take it to the dealer". You may well have some loose connection that intermittently fails. For all power to go off, it would seem to me that the main battery would be suspect. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I fly airplanes for a living and don't like leaving much to chance.
Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer Drive

I agree and probably would have left the car if I had owned it longer but I've had the car less than one week, only 300 miles, and just couldn't walk away from it. It also crossed my mind that there are very few of these around this small town and I could just see them using it as a means to familiarize the techs with all the features. There are just two certified Prius techs at the dealer.
Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts