Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy the PriusXM kit from priusXM.com
but before I do so I would reallly like your feedback!

1) Does anybody have it?
2) Was it difficult to install it yourself?
3) Is it worth the effort, would you do it again?


THANK YOU SO MUCH!

-Rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
508 Posts
macreative said:
1) Does anybody have it?
2) Was it difficult to install it yourself?
3) Is it worth the effort, would you do it again?
1) Yep.
2) Yes, but very rewarding, if you're into that sort of challenge. If not, then by all means have a car stereo shop do it for you.
3) Big time yes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
If you can operate a vacuum cleaner, operate a microwave, a computer, or a toilet, you can install the unit from PriusXM. Just watch the dvd, and you'll be an expert. My wife and I did it together - took us about 2.5 hours and we were listening. We installed a micro antenna with splitter from Myradio.com. My wife was never so proud of herself. She was also shocked by how easy it was. Don't be intimidated by it. Anyone can do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
FedEx just delivered mine (from PriusXM)...I am going to install it tomorrow. That should provide a few hours of pain, sweat and suffering. I will report back on the level of difficulty afterward.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
e.ip said:
FedEx just delivered mine (from PriusXM)...I am going to install it tomorrow. That should provide a few hours of pain, sweat and suffering. I will report back on the level of difficulty afterward.
Thanks. Hey, RICHMOND. My dad lives in WILLIAMSBURG. Neat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Success!

As promised, here's a report on my XM install experience....

For starter, I ordered PriusXM and not from Coastal (because no one ever answered my phone call or email). The PriusXM came with an instructional DVD (and a few pages of instructions) of which Jon from PriusXM walks you through every step of the process. I had watch that DVD once last night, and felt confident to tackle the task today -- the running time on the DVD was around 40min with scenes shorten to eliminate the obvious....so that told me not to expect to finish the task in an hour.

After all said and done, it took me approx. 1hr 45min from beginning to end. On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 easy, 10 requiring a rocket scienist), I would put the install at a 5. It was time consuming, but not difficult. And it CANNOT be rushed!

Here are a few things that I've learned:

- Most of your "pain" will come from removing the vent panels from the dash. I would say at least 10 mins of my time was trying to figure out how to remove the one closest to the driver door. As recommended in Jon's written instruction, test your luck on the vent panel closest to the front passenger door first. This will give you an idea what kind of effort is required to remove the driver side -- once you have that under your belt, multiply the effort required by 2 for the driver-side. (Yes...that bugger is hard to get out!).
- There were a few steps in the DVD that I thought unnecessary or can be abbreviated:
  • * Not really necessary to remove any cables from the MFD. They are long enough where you can gingerly lay it to the side of on dash
  • * The panel with the cigarette lighter adapter (round panel) does not need to be removed.
  • * Not necessary to unplug and remove the radio unit first -- this is what I've done...unscrew the 4 screws holding the radio unit in. Then snake the cable to the radio as instructed. Now pop the radio out with all cables intacted, then plug the XM cable in. That's all. Now you can pop the radio back in.
- Flat-head screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape, fish-wire, long ratchet extension (3 - 4") are very important to the success of the install. It will save your hair!

A little scare I experienced at the end of my install....I was bright enough (for once) to test m connection immediately after I plugged the XM cable to the back of the radio, so I knew that was solid. But, after I buttoned everything back up, I put the card in READY mode....the radio worked...BUT the red upside-down warning light came on the dash as well as a message on the MFD that said "problem" (very helpful message for diagnostic). Immediately I thought....crap....I sliced a cable somewhere...or worst....the car can't handle the XM unit. ;) So after much pondering, I decided to leave the car running in READY for a while, with the AC off for another 5 min or so while I look through the owner's manual for hints. I then proceeded to turn everything off, headed into the house and was about to call Jon (from PriusXM) for assistance. It then dawn on me that I had all the doors open (dome-light et al) for almost two hours, what if the V12 battery is low on juice?! So I decided to start the car up once more....bingo....the warning went away. So my speculation was indeed the v12, but just a guess. Nevertheless, that saved me an embarrassing call to Jon/Dealership. :D

That's all I have....let me know if you have any specific questions about my experience. (Sorry for the long post).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I bought and installed the PriusXM kit from Jon about 4 months ago. The installation took me about 2 hours, and after watching the DVD twice before doing the install I had all the confidence I needed to get it done. I found it to be somewhat easy, but time consuming. DO NOT rush this installation. Allow yourself AT LEAST 2 hours for it.

Couple of things I found to be helpful:
- I put the DVD in my laptop and had it in the car while doing the install. I watched one step, paused the DVD performed that step, restarted the DVD to watch the next step, paused the DVD, etc.
- When it came time to stick the XM receiver on the back panel and plug the cables in, I skipped that step until I had the antenna installed and the antenna wire in place, and then plugged both cables in to the receiver before attaching it in place (rather than attaching it in place first and then attaching the cables as the instructions called for).

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
I just got mine installed at KING TOYOTA, for free. And I got a free 90 day subscription, plus a year after that for free gift card. That is 15 months of free XM.

Nice.

The tuner for the XM is from the TOYOTA Solara, the convertable. So the tuner had a shorter antenna wire, and thus was put in the corner storage box, in the trunk.

And I love where they put the antenna. Right behind the radio one. Not like on my SCION xA, which is to the right rear, not behind the radio antenna.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
So can anyone comment on any differences in price/features/functionality between the "factory" XM unit that TJ had installed by his Toyota dealer, versus the aftermarket PriusXM.com unit?

I like the security of keeping the dealer on the hook for the part and installation.

Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
CWeider said:
So can anyone comment on any differences in price/features/functionality between the "factory" XM unit that TJ had installed by his Toyota dealer, versus the aftermarket PriusXM.com unit?

I like the security of keeping the dealer on the hook for the part and installation.

Any thoughts?
Me too. I can say this: It looks factory (duh), but if you are über anal, to get to the SAT settings using Just The Head Unit (not the screen), you have to push AM twice. I know on my SCION, the AM button had this on it: AM/SAT...now, on the PRIUS HU, it just says AM.

Like I said, only for the über anal.

Otherwise, you can get to the SAT by VC, and also by pushing the MODE button on the steering wheel.

It's not a big thing. Oh, and I also noticed that, just like the SCION XM, you can't see the whole artist (or song), if there too many letters. Which makes no sense, since there is plenty of room on the screen.

Otherwise, I am so happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,161 Posts
The XM from Coastal and from PriusXM is the same box that TJ got from his dealer. Only difference is, PriusXM comes with an installation DVD, and Coastal comes with jelly beans.

By the way TJ, I believe there's a spot for the XM box under the rear seat. If that's not ideal, it could be placed in the super hidden compartment where other modules reside in the under-hatch. This way you don't lose your cubbyhole space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The XM from Coastal and from PriusXM is the same box that TJ got from his dealer. Only difference is, PriusXM comes with an installation DVD, and Coastal comes with jelly beans.

By the way TJ, I believe there's a spot for the XM box under the rear seat. If that's not ideal, it could be placed in the super hidden compartment where other modules reside in the under-hatch. This way you don't lose your cubbyhole space.
According to my Install Guy Gary, it's a matter of the XM antenna cord (from the convertable SOLARA), only going so far.

Otherwise, I think you are correct. Now, I am not a gee-nus, but I have messed around with a wire or two in my life. So, why not just put on an extention to the antenna wire? Unless TOYOTA is way too cheap to provide that...

Well, it's not too big a deal. I was not using that cubbyhole anyway...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I have the PriusXM, and as far as I can tell, it's a toyota part. (It said so right on the XM unit). So in terms of functionality is concern, "after market" vs. Toyota, they're one and the same.

TJ: On the Solara unit, which cable is short? The control cable or the antenna? If it's the antenna, XM sells an extension cable.

http://xmradio.com/catalog/product_deta ... pe=Antenna

Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
e.ip said:
I have the PriusXM, and as far as I can tell, it's a toyota part. (It said so right on the XM unit). So in terms of functionality is concern, "after market" vs. Toyota, they're one and the same.

TJ: On the Solara unit, which cable is short? The control cable or the antenna? If it's the antenna, XM sells an extension cable.

http://xmradio.com/catalog/product_deta ... pe=Antenna

Ed
Ed, it's the antenna, that I was told was short. The control cable must be long enough...'cause it reaches the HU, or is this another cable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I was going over your previous posts, and looks like your install-guy placed the XM unit in the "trunk" area....that's where priusXM suggested for the install as well -- the pXM kit came with heavy-duty double-sided velcro tape to tape the unit to the inside wall (behind the sidewall carpet). And from there, my antenna cable is only slightly longer than it needs to reach the roof.

So sounds like the two kits are EXACTLY the same (minus the velcro).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
e.ip said:
I was going over your previous posts, and looks like your install-guy placed the XM unit in the "trunk" area....that's where priusXM suggested for the install as well -- the pXM kit came with heavy-duty double-sided velcro tape to tape the unit to the inside wall (behind the sidewall carpet). And from there, my antenna cable is only slightly longer than it needs to reach the roof.

So sounds like the two kits are EXACTLY the same (minus the velcro).
Yeah, I think you are correct. I know there is a bunch of felt there, or something soft-ish, that he laid the tuner against. It's not going anywhere, that is for sure.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top