Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hanging around in this forum I got to identify something that most of Prius's owners are experimenting:

(Quoting myself) Priusilytis, refering to some kind of seekness that started to be presented by some humans since early 2000 after Jesus Christ. The cure still is unknown. That date coincides with the apearance of what is known today as Toyota Prius.

Causes: Buying a Toyota Prius (no matter what year)
Simptoms: Buyers want as much people as possible to get one.
Crisis: No matter how many flaws the car has, the car is the best.
Comma: They turn to be Toyota Prius Soldiers with some kind of blindess or fanatism.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Grammar, grammar! Argh!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
jeromep said:
Grammer, grammer! Argh!
Spelling, spelling! Argh! (Let's try "grammar" next time we want to throw stones, shall we? Unless you were crying out for Kelsey Grammer.) :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
rmarchena,
Could you kindly point me to a single thread that you've started that has any positive contribution to this forum?

Bonus points if it has grammar that would receive a passing grade in a 4th grade English class.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Edited. Thank you. Frustration had kicked in when I wrote that.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
efusco said:
rmarchena,
Could you kindly point me to a single thread that you've started that has any positive contribution to this forum?

Bonus points if it has grammar that would receive a passing grade in a 4th grade English class.
Not everyone a) is a native English speaker; b) has one (or more) graduate degrees; or c) stays on topic all the time; or, for that matter, d) gives a canary's beak if your bunions are in a bind.

Rm is a Prius owner, and doesn't always agree with everything that Toyota chose to do. And some or Rm's posts are, well, more "difficult" to follow than others. But Rm hasn't been openly hostile lately, which is more than I can say for some of the more "regular" regulars around here (and I am counting myself). If you don't like the thread, don't post to it. Very simple. :( And maybe I'll start following my own advice sometime. But it doesn't seem right to attack.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think his (? -- gotta be a he) posts are hilarious to read.

And, the one above, in particular, makes a darn good point about some of us having a lack of objectivity about our Prii.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sanny said:
Not everyone a) is a native English speaker; b) has one (or more) graduate degrees; or c) stays on topic all the time; or, for that matter, d) gives a canary's beak if your bunions are in a bind.

Rm is a Prius owner, and doesn't always agree with everything that Toyota chose to do. And some or Rm's posts are, well, more "difficult" to follow than others. But Rm hasn't been openly hostile lately, which is more than I can say for some of the more "regular" regulars around here (and I am counting myself). If you don't like the thread, don't post to it. Very simple. :( And maybe I'll start following my own advice sometime. But it doesn't seem right to attack.
Thanks for the advice Sanny, but I'll continue to comment as I deem appropriate. Note that I didn't exactly attack...it's a simple request...yet one I don't think rm can respond to...if I'm wrong I'll acknowledge it.

I don't have any problem with someone making constructive arguements that don't agree with the popular concensus...I, in fact, like the challenge. But Rm doesn't do that (at least not that I've seen), he attacks the people who own, the people who promote and the people who participate. He's attacking people, not ideas, not facts, but people.

I'm going to call him to the carpet when he does that. And trust me, I stay out of most of his threads mainly because they make so little sense. And I think it's his responsibility, native speaker or not, to make his post comprehensible and his poor gramatical skills should make him all the more careful. Yet he typically responds with brief replies that are often not contextual and made with not apparent effort to be clear at all.

How much rope are we supposed to give him?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Irritation as an indicator

The irritation that causes my comments in some Prius Soldiers is a clear indicator of understanding over my statements. I always comment about Prius car rather than attack Prius owners (verify!, see my posts and replies, please), unless a Prius owner crosses the line of respect.
I accept my limitations in the English language which I use just a few years ago. The capitalization of those limitations in terms of attack is just a cover-up of the weakness to reply my comments properly.

Richard Winckelman, a philosopher that created the positivism, said a century and a half ago:

"If you write right, you think right".

That statement did not last long.

And I say:

"If you believe in that, you are wrong".

The fact that I use to indentify the Prius's flaws with grammar flaws does not exonerate the Prius of its flaws.

I understand that your children are the best of the world sentimentaly but not your Prius.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: Irritation as an indicator

rmarchena said:
...I understand that your children are the best of the world sentimentaly but not your Prius.
And my dog! Don't forget my dog! She's the best of the world, too. :) Ok, except for everyone else's dog (and canary, and cat, and guinea pig, and bear, and manatee...) ;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Re: Irritation as an indicator

Sanny said:
rmarchena said:
...I understand that your children are the best of the world sentimentaly but not your Prius.
And my dog! Don't forget my dog! She's the best of the world, too. :) Ok, except for everyone else's dog (and canary, and cat, and guinea pig, and bear, and manatee...) ;)
Evander, who turns 7 tomorrow and will have a roast in his honor (not his), thanks you for acknowledging him. And I do enjoy RM's writings. Sometimes I read them 3 times and usually remain confused, but confusion with a smile."Priusilytis" is rather creative, though does this mean inflammation of the Prius or its owners? :roll: :?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
rpm said:

And, the one above, in particular, makes a darn good point about some of us having a lack of objectivity about our Prii.
He does to the English language what Picasso did to the human form. His posts always entertain me! :)

G

·
Hep said:
rpm said:

He does to the English language what Picasso did to the human form. His posts always entertain me! :)
Let's give the guy a little credit. I think he is trying his hardest to write and speak English. When I visit Florida, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and southern California, I sometimes think I am in Spain. More confusing is that many of the Spanish-speaking are fluent in English but switch to speaking Spanish in the presence of non-Spanish speaking people. :?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
rmarchena is very fortunate that he expresses his thought comments
in this PriusOnline forum. If he were to join Yahoo-Prius group, he would
be annihilated by now.

PriusOnline members are similar to: America. The forgiving,understanding
careing, powerful and political ! I love this forum !

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
efusco said:
Thanks for the advice Sanny, but I'll continue to comment as I deem appropriate. Note that I didn't exactly attack...it's a simple request...yet one I don't think rm can respond to...if I'm wrong I'll acknowledge it.

I don't have any problem with someone making constructive arguments that don't agree with the popular consensus...I, in fact, like the challenge. But Rm doesn't do that (at least not that I've seen), he attacks the people who own, the people who promote and the people who participate. He's attacking people, not ideas, not facts, but people.

I'm going to call him to the carpet when he does that. And trust me, I stay out of most of his threads mainly because they make so little sense. And I think it's his responsibility, native speaker or not, to make his post comprehensible and his poor grammatical skills should make him all the more careful. Yet he typically responds with brief replies that are often not contextual and made with not apparent effort to be clear at all.

How much rope are we supposed to give him?
RM needs to consider what he is writing before he posts. If he has a beef with his vehicle there isn't much he can do about it here. There isn't much he can do at the dealership either considering that the Prius, like just about every other car out there, is a fixed product. It is what it is. Vehicles are not yet ultra-customizable from the factory or the dealer's lot.

I'd love to know what his previous vehicle was? I wonder how he got such a perfect previous vehicle as compared to this chunk of bovine fecal material that all of us have somehow been hornswageled into purchasing. That is what confuses me most. If the Prius weren't a well designed vehicle that performed as advertised and designed, I would certainly be complaining to Toyota and many others about it. However, this is the nicest vehicle yet that I have purchased and it does operate as designed. No lies from Toyota, except from normal dealer puffery you pretty much expect when you hit the dealer's door.

Sure, I would have loved to have leather (not offered in my region) and the front seats aren't exactly what I would have expected, and those are flaws, but the vehicle is what it is and I can only hope that will change as it goes through its product evolution.

Oh, and there is no such word as flawlessing. The word flawless cannot be made into a verb. Please stop using that word. It just propagates some of the feelings toward the posts that you leave here. Please choose alternate wording, such as "exposing flaws" with regard to your personal "quest."

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too applaud RM's efforts with a most difficult language. I find his unique syntax strangely fascinating. I think I actually view his criticisms more objectively because I have to really think about what he's trying to say.

Also, while I agree the Prius is a fixed product, RM's and other's critiques have helped to make this the most satisfying car purchase I've ever made. Had I not known what to look for I probably would have been blinded by the "Gee Whiz" factor and not noticed some of it's shortcomings. Thanks to this forum there have been absolutely no surprises and I'm completely satisfied that I got exactly what I expected.

I also try very hard not to let my enthusiasm sound like proselytizing.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
"some Prius Soldiers"

Seems like an attack on people, not cars. Cars can't be soldiers.

How long have you lived in the Bronx?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No, not in the sense of protecting the country, but in his context, he is talking about us as defenders of the honor of our Prius.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts