Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on it once early this morning but haven't been able to get back on since!
Anyone know if it's down?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops!....just found this note left on the PriusChat site...
Yes it is down.......

I'm working on database issues right now, so here's a few things you can
do while PriusChat is being worked on:

* Enjoy the pretty weather for once, or, if you usually surf PriusChat from your back porch...
* Go actually DRIVE your Prius, or if you've already driven your Prius enough lately...
* Check out HiHyChat.com - PriusChat's sister site devoted to the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, or you can...
* Test drive a H2 and see how many times you can get the salesman to fill it up with gas before they make you leave.

Hopefully we'll be back up soon.

-Danny

·
Registered
181 Posts
amazing??

i dont think so. the site has simply taken off. besides the problems are not unexpected. the site has simply outgrown the server its on and will be in the process of moving to a bigger one. there will be more down times.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I had a feeling it was going to go down real soon. It has been dragging its feet lately. 15 seconds for a page load? Come on!

I have been trying to read as much updates before 10ET, otherwise it seems to bog down.

·
Registered
181 Posts
15 seconds per page? wow !

i dont really know how long it takes because i usually open several windows at the same time.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you look at the bottom of the page, it will tell you how long it took to produce the page, how much of that was because of SQL requests, and how much was because of PHP page building.

Not sure about the specifics of Server Load.

When PriusChat was real bad, sometimes it took 30 seconds per page.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jag
Thanks for the link but that is just a pathetic thread. Comparing the Prius to any of those vehicles convinces me that they have never driven one. I bet you can get a yugo cheap too and you would never save the difference in purchase price with gas savings. I will not drive a corolla or a camry. To even consider a malibu is just crazy talk. The people I know that drive a corolla were shopping for a Prius and couldn't afford the wait for one. They are all disappointed with their purchase only because they drove the Prius first. I would have chimed in over there but it seems like such a black hole of thoughtful discourse. The rudeness is typical of these type of forums. Im sure glad the Prius forums seem to escape that BS for the most part.

·
Registered
13 Posts
stevesol said:
It's amazing to me how often PriusChat is down or painfully slow...
Not that amazing. Free site not run by corporation. Bandwidth, servers, and maintainence costs money. Want a faster site? Donate!

Most free forums I know are bandwidth limited and don't have paid tech for maintainence. Both PriusChat and PriusOnline work very well. Compared to Yahoo groups they are a breeze!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
every thing i do loads slowly since i networked 5 boxes over a dialup connection so i dont notice a difference in speed for sites. many tell me that POL is much faster, but to me its about the same. as plain as it is, it should be much faster.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
gschoen said:
stevesol said:
It's amazing to me how often PriusChat is down or painfully slow...
Not that amazing. Free site not run by corporation. Bandwidth, servers, and maintainence costs money. Want a faster site? Donate!

Most free forums I know are bandwidth limited and don't have paid tech for maintainence. Both PriusChat and PriusOnline work very well. Compared to Yahoo groups they are a breeze!!!
Yes, but unfortunately they are only web forums. You cannot read and reply to posts via email.

·
Registered
19 Posts
mrv,
Allowing posts via email actually poses a security risk. There's no password authentication! Also, where would you post to? If there are multiple topics, then what?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I love it when people try to make comparisons. They never seem to do it right. I mean a Corolla and Aveo are waay smaller than the Prius. Sure, they have the essentials like pwr win/locks/mirrors and ABS but the other stuff that jaguaraja mentioned didn't even drill into their heads. Oil changes, brake pads and... ugh I give up. THere's no point. They'll be finding someone to blame when they have no fuel for their suburbans

·
Registered
17 Posts
yea, it's been frustrating in those forums, but a few people have shown some geniune interest in hybrids. Any person even considering a hybrid can see that some of the comparisons are bs.

its interesting to see the arguments that come up. they seem to have a lot of opinions, yet don't even own the car (probably never driven one either)

Feel free to chime in if you wish, I would definitely enjoy having fellow owners give their 2 cents. be aware that the flame factor is kinda high, but its not all falling on deaf ears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prius Chat back up.

Looks like Prius Chat is back up. My page loads while a little slower than others are usually only about 5 seconds.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One can always use newsgroups such as alt.autos.toyota.prius . Newsgroups are up whenever your ISP is up, they run as fast as your ISP and your connection allow, and they're archived on Google. No ads, no sponsorships, no registration, no moderation, no graphics.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Looks like it went down again. And I had a personal message I was about to access.

It was slow, even though it reported 5 second loads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts