Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

Every year the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority in NZ runs a rally to promote energy efficient driving and highlight the fuel efficiency of various vehicles. This year two Prius II were entered and guess who came first across all classes :D

I won't spoil the surprise go to http://www.energywiserally.org.nz/

and read the results 8)

Cheers Doug - a Prius owner in NZ

·
Registered
220 Posts
It woudl be great to know how they went 1600+ KM and averaged usage was 4.02 l/km. I'm guessing the roads were all secondary roads, and the speeds were in the 40 mph range.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You have to drive with one of those competitors to believe it. They know exactly what to do to get the best mileage out of every condition. I think courses with this subject could be great. To drive economically doesn't always mean to drive slowly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just some follow up info.

From a North American perspective most of our main roads would most probably qualify as secondary. The open road speed limit, however, is 100 kmh (60 mph). For the rally I suspect that that the drivers would have been going around 70 kmh (40 mph) to maximise economy. The terrain was a mixture of flat, rolling and steeply undulating with some urban driving.

I would just like to oint out that the winning driver is an ex Formula One (Grand Prix) driver, so old dogs can learn new tricks.

Dear Moocatdog I don't think my wife would appreciate it if you did :lol:

Cheers Doug

·
Registered
220 Posts
kiwipriusowner said:
I suspect that that the drivers would have been going around 70 kmh (40 mph) to maximise economy. The terrain was a mixture of flat, rolling and steeply undulating with some urban driving.
Thanks for that update.

That is what I thought it must be. On that kind of road I can see my MFD showing 3.5 L/100 km pretty reliably. It is ideal for a Prius. You get to accellerate briskly up the hills, then crest them, coast to build up charge in the battery, and carry along on battery power til the next hill.

I live in Victoria, British Columbia, which I suspect is a lot like the terrain there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dear All

In my last message I indicated that I thought that during the rally the Prius was driving at around 40 mph. Well I just checked the rules and found this:

Speeds

Minimum stage times will be set in accordance with 'real world' driving conditions, determined by pre-event testing. This will involve cruising at the 100 km/h legal limit on suitable stretches of road wherever safe and practicable, as well as overtaking slower traffic at every reasonable opportunity. Cars will be timed out and in. A 5% 'buffer' will be calculated into the pre-set stage times, and lateness beyond this will incur a fuel consumption penalty of 1% per minute late for the stage. This penalty will not be applied in the event of unforseen road, weather or traffic conditions resulting in delays to a significant number of entrants. An odometer reading will be taken at the start and finish of each leg.

Entrants are strongly advised to adhere to the 100 km/h open-road speed (where road conditions allow) right from the early part of each stage, as time lost through going too slowly will be very difficult to make up. The route book will provide interim sector times to enable participants to monitor their progress during each stage and make necessary adjustments.

'Drafting' any vehicle, or 'coasting' in neutral is not permitted and in fact constitutes dangerous driving. It is the duty of all entrants to drive in a manner that does not attract attention and adheres to New Zealand traffic law.

So the result is even more impressive. Good grief I love this car.

Doug

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
kiwipriusowner said:
'Drafting' any vehicle, or 'coasting' in neutral is not permitted and in fact constitutes dangerous driving. It is the duty of all entrants to drive in a manner that does not attract attention and adheres to New Zealand traffic law.

So the result is even more impressive. Good grief I love this car.
Except in the Prius, it's quite easy to drive in 'Neutral', without actually shifting there (feathering the pedal.) So the Prius has a marked advantage there. :) For example, there is a 1 mile long stretch of road near my house that has a 25 mph speed limit. It happens that the grade is VERY slightly downhill. Just enough that once you get up to 25 mph, you can put it in Neutral, and stay at 25 mph until the end of the 1 mile stretch (a curve that you have to slow down for.) In my manual transmission car, holding in the clutch does it. In the Prius, I can feather just right to get it into 'Neutral', and it does it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
kiwipriusowner said:
Dear Moocatdog I don't think my wife would appreciate it if you did :lol:
Your wife has nothing to fear; I'm not looking for love, just an exit strategy. :) Something about NZ has always appealed to me and I've been wanting to visit for a very long time.
Moo :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts