Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just called my wife and me that he will not be driving home to visit us for the 400 roundtrip Labor Day weekend because the price of regular gasoline for his 4Runner V8 4WD just rose to $2.99 a gallon today and that he cannot afford it on his $60k+ salary as computer engineer. He is also cancelling his plans for deer-hunting in the Northwoods of Wisconsin during November for the same reason. When I suggested he consider buying a Prius, his only printable comments were that the "Prius is a weird car for weird people like yourselves!"

What do I say.........how can we deal with this? :oops:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't think you need to say anything. Just keep telling him about your jaunts in the Prius. If he has two gray cells to rub together he'll figure it out while he's sitting at home not having any fun. If he doesn't figure it out you'll just have to reconcile yourself to the fact that you spawned a dolt. Sorry, but the truth sometimes hurts. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well if your son didn't think you were weird you'd have done something wrong as a parent. And can I just say that if he's a computer engineer, chances are he's pretty weird himself.

Really, though, he's an engineer, he should be fascinated with the technology, and only cold logic will convinc him. Have you pointed out that the 400 mile trip will cost less than 1/3 as much in a Prius than it would in a V8 SUV?

Try putting it in computer terms. He's using a 386 when he could have a Pentium. Insurance would cost less too. And with the seats down, he could fit a 6 point buck in the back.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Prius.weird car.........."

Devotay said:
Well if your son didn't think you were weird you'd have done something wrong as a parent. And can I just say that if he's a computer engineer, chances are he's pretty weird himself.

Really, though, he's an engineer, he should be fascinated with the technology, and only cold logic will convinc him. Have you pointed out that the 400 mile trip will cost less than 1/3 as much in a Prius than it would in a V8 SUV?

Try putting it in computer terms. He's using a 386 when he could have a Pentium. Insurance would cost less too. And with the seats down, he could fit a 6 point buck in the back.
When he shot a 12 point buck two years ago, he called us from his cell phone to pick up the deer in the woods with our Toyota van. He didn't want to ge this 4Runner dirty. He needed his 4Runner for the "heavy off-road" usage because the deer was down 200 feet from a blacktopped highway with 3 inches of snow on the ground! :cry:

·
Registered
26 Posts
dzitlow said:
My son just called my wife and me that he will not be driving home to visit us for the 400 roundtrip Labor Day weekend because the price of regular gasoline for his 4Runner V8 4WD just rose to $2.99 a gallon today and that he cannot afford it on his $60k+ salary as computer engineer. He is also cancelling his plans for deer-hunting in the Northwoods of Wisconsin during November for the same reason. When I suggested he consider buying a Prius, his only printable comments were that the "Prius is a weird car for weird people like yourselves!"

What do I say.........how can we deal with this? :oops:
You don't have to say anything. You're laughing all the way to the bank! [email protected] 15mpg is about 50 gallons - almost $150 in gas alone. If he can't afford that, perhaps be shouldn't be driving a 4Runner.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would agree with Devotay...I am a programmer (yes, a geek), and part of the reason I was so drawn to the Prius was its technology -- the holy crap I am driving a computer on wheels factor! :D

dzitlow: I have a friend just like your son. He's in his early 20's...diehard speed and power freak. He also drives a V8 4Runner. When I told him I was going to get either the Prius or Highlander Hybrid (from a Pathfinder), his initial reaction was "I can't imagine those things having any power". And frankly, he's in denial of the stats Toyota is claiming about the HH. My argument is...what is the point of all that "power" when a) he never towed anything b) have never and will never go truely off-road c) his commute consists of racing from red-light to red-light.

To make a long story short, I don't think us "weirdo" will ever be able to change the mind of those that are too stubborn for their own good. Heck, I am sure just about every Hummer owners out there have been asking themselves the same questions....Do I really need this beast? But, and this is unfortunate, it is all about pride.

So I say, the next time your son tells you that you're weird, you can tell him at least you're out doing what you like instead of home watching the gas price goes up! :lol:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
There is nothing you can do. He has made his bed and so he has to sleep in it. If he is as blunt and negative in person as he is with you over the phone, I'm not sure I would want to spend the weekend with him. Sounds like a real laugh riot when he is in town. :roll:

I don't think rubbing in the fact you have a Prius every time he calls is working to your advantage. You know by now what he thinks of your purchase, and it doesn't matter. You need to enjoy what you have purchased, which I'm sure you do. It doesn't matter what he thinks about it, it is that simple.

I certainly don't think the Prius subject is the beginning of your woes with your son. I think this has been going on for a long time. He may be an "adult" however he still acts like a child. Just because you have a formal education and money doesn't graduate you to adulthood.

And as far as him canceling his hunting trip, this is personal bias, and I'm not a greenie, however who wants to slog around in the wild in the cold and wet for the remote chancing of shooting something down and then having to lug it home so you can have a freezer full of frozen rank meet. I'll take beef any time. It is a whole lot easier to get home and I'm used to how it tastes.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: I'm not a Psychologist, but I believe your "Mr. Macho" has a huge inferiority complex and thinks he must compensate with horsepower and by killing a defenseless animal, not for food but to prove his "manood."

The "world" has a way of bringing this type of person to maturity in time. Some take longer than others. Try to be patient... you can love a child without necessarily "liking" them or respecting their actions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to sound harsh, but if he can't visit the only two parents he has on earth because he'd rather have a truck, then you need to step back and look at what that says. The problem goes waaaay beyond Prius vs. 4Runner.

Further, if he has no money for a few extra tanks of gas on $60,000/year, that suggests other poor financial choices in addition to his ride.

Sorry, I know he's your son & all, but I'd be furious at such blatant selfishness. For him to throw insults at you while conveniently sidestepping the financial mismanagement of his own life is pretty sad. I'd (seriously) send him a mirror for Christmas.

Meanwhile, tell him to go sit in his fancy parked truck that's on "E" and make motor sounds.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: "Prius.weird car.........."

dzitlow said:
When he shot a 12 point buck two years ago, he called us from his cell phone to pick up the deer in the woods with our Toyota van. He didn't want to ge this 4Runner dirty. He needed his 4Runner for the "heavy off-road" usage because the deer was down 200 feet from a blacktopped highway with 3 inches of snow on the ground! :cry:
Did you go ??

·
Registered
736 Posts
Prius: weird car

dzitlow,
I think the answer to your problem lies elsewhere. You will get the same basic replies here that you did to your other thread, when your son told you "Only a fool would buy a Prius." Unless Dr. Phil has bought a Prius and looks in on this site, I think you are going to need to seek professional help for yourself and your son. The other choice, as others have suggested, is to just let it go and hope that he eventually grows up. I wish you all the best as you go forward.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: "Prius.weird car.........."

An04Prius said:
dzitlow said:
Did you go ??
Yes. It was a long trip and when I got to where my son was I discovered he gut shot the deer and refused to gut it out. I cleaned out the deer, hung it from a tree, and let it cool down. Next put down on plastic sheating on floor of van and drove to butcher shop. Somehow, there was a hole in the tarp and a lot of bloody matter soiled the carpeting in the van. When he picked up his venison sausage 5 weeks later, he said the meat didn't taste good and he threw it all in the garbage.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"Prius....weird car...."

IndyDoug said:
I suppose your son is pro-war and voted for Bush twice.
Tell me: how DID you know?????????????????????????? :?:

·
Registered
1 Posts
From what you describe I am picturing your son as the character Chaz from the book "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen. Decent, if quirky, book. It is not a flattering comparison. Hopefully he isn't really like this.

·
Registered
919 Posts
In your posts you've never indicated if your son's behavior angers you, saddens you, or has become a verbal game between the two of you. If his words hurt, you may have to do as Roger V suggests and get some help or just let go for a period of time. Negativity just wears one down, and as we get older we need to protect ourselves from its effects on our well being. The Prius criticisms, his intelligence, career, or salary are all beside the point. I suspect there's a war of words going on and no one will win.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts