Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I wait for my 2004 Prius to arrive (someday...), there seems to be three major web sites on the Prius. They are:

1) Priuschat.com - lots of knowledgeable members
2) Priusonline.com - not as many members
3) Yahoo groups prius - too many members

I chose this web site to post the question since it was the first one I joined. What are your (the members) opinions on the various Prius web sites and which one should I primarily be reading? If there are any other good ones please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I routinely check this site and PriusChat.com. Both are good and easy to use. Yahoo is too complicated to follow a particular topic and there is a lot of 'junk' stuff over there, so I rarely go there. The Prius is not a heavily modified car - at least not yet - so discussions are pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I get the postings on the Yahoo! Prius site in digest form on my email. (I discontinued getting the 2004 site postings because I own an '02 and the traffic over there was ferocious!) Even so, it is a pain in the neck to post to the Yahoo site, in terms of finding a particular message, wading through the pop-ups, re-entering your ID, composing a message only to have it fail to post, etc., etc. Although I have learned much from the Yahoo site, I much prefer the format of this one, and have learned much from it also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another site which just started can be found at:

http://greenhybrid.com/discuss/index.php?act=idx

They don't have much yet but the format is different enough to log on and see new topics.

I prefer this site and PriusChat. Many of the same posters seem to be on both sites as the same questions are being discussed.

Spring is coming and first trip for our Salsa Red AM.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I visit all 4 at various times. The least visited is GreenHybrid...just too vague IMO, trying to cover too much ground with no real focus, little activity. Great format, nice layout, lots of good things, but I wish Jason would rework the site with a lot more focus on the Prius.

I go to the 2004-YG frequently and actually tend to keep up with it (I know, get a life, I'm trying). There are a few resources there that make it remain valuable and the sheer volume brings some interesting and informative topics if you can manage to separate the wheat from the chafe. Wayne Brown is awesome, I wish he'd come here or the PriusChat site.

PriusChat is the new big kid on the block. Danny works hard to make it a great site. There's a great group there, little bickering, people stay on topic yet have fun with outside things in the "off topic" section. It's easy to navigate, easy to find threads you want to follow and ignore the ones you don't. It remembers what you've read and haven't read from one visit to the next. Lots of bandwidth, for the time being, for pictures and articles and such. My current favorite.

Finally PriusOnline...I can't, for the life of me, understand why it isn't more popular than it is. Good knowledgeable group, decent format though there are a couple quirks making it a little less friendly to use than PriusChat. Good Prius focus while making room for other topics and cars without distracting.

I'll continue to concentrate my efforts, contributions and time primarily to PriusChat, secondarily to 2004-YG, and keep an eye on this place to see what's happening. Green Hybrid deserves and occasional check-in, but I'm yet to be convinced it has legs.

FWIW, I've looked in on the Edmunds forum (too hard to follow, but some smart folks there), CarTalk--little of interest, and a couple others, but they're all more or less there because every other car in the world is represented and not b/c there's a dedicated following.

·
Registered
928 Posts
efusco said:
Finally PriusOnline...I can't, for the life of me, understand why it isn't more popular than it is. Good knowledgeable group, decent format though there are a couple quirks making it a little less friendly to use than PriusChat. Good Prius focus while making room for other topics and cars without distracting.
PriusOnline started out really well. It was poised to take over a lot of traffic from Yahoo as they started bugging more people with policy changes. Then PriusOnline crashed (was hacked?) and it appeared at the time that the messages might have been lost. Traffic never really recovered after that, even though the site became much more stable. I think people decided it would not be the replacement for Yahoo and so drifted away.

I stick around because I can keep up without a large investment of time. I haven't followed the Yahoo groups since the 2004 got popular since I don't want to spend that much time on the Prius.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts