Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone has posted thi site befor it is a Toyota site with a newsletter for prius owners it is http://www.priusview.com some good info I signed up for the newsletter but have not yet recived one so can say whats in it they dont ask for your home addy just your email so now paper to waste well check it out and let me know what you think

·
Registered
16 Posts
Comparing advertising with Toyota.ca

It is interesting seeing different approaches. The Canadian info. is much more specific with details. Instead of "all the power of a conventional car"
it refers to acceleration "level comparable to the Toyota Camry LE".

It gives specific Cd at .26, and describes "50% more powerful 50-kilowatt
drive motor-at up to 500 volts", "improved low-end torque from the drive motor, a significant boost in acceleration has been realized." "Hybrid Synergy Drive is expected to increase fuel efficiency in the new Prius by a further 15%".

The Cdn. site prints in 2 pages vs. 9 for the site within above mentioned
newsletter site.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Prius View

X-xpat--can you give us the URL for the Canadian Site? The information you mentioned is found on the Toyota USA site, but you've got to do some excavating to find it.

DGC--I signed up for the Prius View Newsletter about 2 months ago and have not heard a thing since. Seems this is a very irregular and infrequent thing. Mostly ad anyway so I'm not sure too much objective data will be contained vs. the amount of promotional material.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How do members feel about the line (in 9 pg US printout of minisite)
"The stigma surrounding gas/electric hybrid vehicles used to be that in order to reap benefits, one had to sacrifice ride and performance."?

and then "start realizing those notions are a thing of the past with the new Prius."

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Stigmata

I think the statement is accurate. I'm a gas guzzling Ford Expedition driver and have been since 1997. I love that truck. It does anything I ask it to do. I don't think about whether I have the air on or not when I shut it off. I don't worry if I'm accellerating too hard--the difference b/w 12mpg and 12.5mpg just isn't worth the bother.

But, I'm not a complete idiot. For 3 of the past 6 years I lived in Alaska and needed the power/4-WD/reliability in snow, etc. For the most recent past 3 years I'm in a more suburban area with a daily commute to work that costs me 2 gallons of gas to get from home to work and back. Getting a Prius or other fuel efficient commuter vehicle makes sense.

My main concern was (and, to a degree still is) whether I'll be able to drive this car and still get the reliability and efficiency I want. I would guess that for a few months I'll play the "how many miles can I get out of a tank" and stealth mode games I read about here. But knowing my own personality and driving habits I'm going to be doing jack-rabbit starts, flooring the pedal to maintain speed up the steep ozark hills, passing traffic going less than 10mph over the speed limit, etc. If this car can't hang with that style and still get OK milage (I won't expect 55mph, but probably 42-45 out of the '04), then I'll probably be looking for something with a bit more 'umph'.

There clearly is still a stigmata, most people look at hybrids as something from the Jetsons. And, to a degree, that is deserved. I think/hope that the '04 and then the RX330 will start to make this vehicle much more mainstream and we won't give it a second thought whether the vehicle is hybrid or not. But for the time being there are a lot of us still in the 'wait and see' mode; having seen various passing fancies go to the wayside in the past.

BTW, the Expedition will stay as a back-up/winter/Colorado ski trip vehicle--I love that truck (just would love it more if it got 30mpg)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Prius View frequency

I, too signed up as soon as I became aware of the "magazine". That was over a year ago. Have received no notifications of new issues as promised, but have revisited the site from time to time.

As to the comfort and convenience of a hybrid vs "regular" car, I have absolutely no complaints. Thoroughly enjoy driving my 2001 Prius to work or across the state as needed. Other cars in that time have been Oldsmobile Bravadas with All Wheel Drive for camping, trailer towing and my wife's work needs. Love both cars and they both have their place in our personal transportation needs along with our folding bicycles which can fit in either vehicle as needed.

Just read a road test comparing two Honda Civics: Hybrid and regular. this really makes me frustrated as their big complaint of the Hybrid was the lack of power. I will write them to try comparing with a better design-the Prius. No lack of power there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts