Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the name "Prius" trademarked or patented by Toyota in any way? I would imagine so, but I haven't managed to find solid proof yet.

I'm wondering this because I was idly looking at the possibility of getting a custom plate, and I wondered if it would be alright to use Prius in the plate because, according to the rules, use of "a patented logo" is prohibited.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
215 Posts
LeVautRien said:
Is the name "Prius" trademarked or patented by Toyota in any way? I would imagine so, but I haven't managed to find solid proof yet.

I'm wondering this because I was idly looking at the possibility of getting a custom plate, and I wondered if it would be alright to use Prius in the plate because, according to the rules, use of "a patented logo" is prohibited.

Thanks in advance!
Well, technically, it's a Latin word, so there shouldn't me any kind of issue.
You ARE referring to something like "MYPRIUS" right? Seems like it would be fine to me...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Google search for trademarks

Hmm, can't find any trademark claims in Toyota's website, user manual, or Prius New Features manual!

Well, let's Google (probably a trademark) for "prius" and "trademark". Here we go.

FLORA Prius is a registered trademark of Hitachi, Ltd. in Japan.

Prius is also a trademark for fishing tackle.

Ah, at last, Pruis is a registered trademark of Toyota Motor Corporation. How odd that we have to go to Ovonic's website to find this out.

Well, that's hardly definitive, but it's hard to imagine it not being a registered trademark of some Toyota entity(ies).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that googling! I'm now guessing it would probably be turned down anyway, simply for the fact that it's a single person that approves license plates, and I'm pretty sure that he's just gonna turn down Prius upon seeing that it's the name of a car, heh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Noone said that you can't do what lots of other folks do: create a phonetic spelling that means what you want it to say: preeus, mypreus-- be creative... you can think of lots of options-- you all are such smart folks!

·
Registered
215 Posts
becky said:
Noone said that you can't do what lots of other folks do: create a phonetic spelling that means what you want it to say: preeus, mypreus-- be creative... you can think of lots of options-- you all are such smart folks!
I would say go for something MORE phoenetic like "PREEEUS" or surely you could do "PRIIIUS" (maybe even PRIIUS, the II could be like Roman numerals since it IS the 2nd gen model) If you just do include "PREUS" in it somehow people COULD assume you're a royal dumbass that doesn't understand how to spell the name of your own car. Stuff where you remove vowels "MSTNG" "HMMR" "RNGR" "CMRY" However something like "MUSTING" is kind of like a "Whoa, retard alert! :? " It would work and people would GET IT but I dunno... just needs to be stretched a LITTLE further :)

Also, don't forget that unless for some reason your state wouldn't allow it,

PR1U5 (use a 1 and or 5)... gives a LOT of variations for stuff that may already be taken...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The PR1U5 doesn't work because Louisiana doesn't allow you to replace letters with numbers like that! Quite silly!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I loved that too!

Maybe that'll be it, hehe. So if you ever see a PRIIUS Louisiana plate in southern California...well you can see your creation ;).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts