Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the proud new owner of a used 2002 Silver Prius, I've just started getting into my vehicle. I purchased it with 18,700 miles (30,093 kms) and I noticed that the front tires were wearing thinner than the rear tires.

Of course the car came with the Bridgestone Potenza's. I took it to the local tire store and they told me that inside tread was showing secondary rubber, and that all 4 tires had to be replaced.

Reluctantly I agreed, and the new tires were shipped into the area. When they arrived I had them installed, and was told that Bridgestone provides no warranty on the tire. I asked about alternatives, and was told that Michellin has a new tire designed specificially for my beloved Prius. When the tires came in, the store called to tell me that if I had put anything other than Bridgestone Tires on the vehicle that Toyota would void my warranty. The salesperson said he saw a Service Bulletin from Toyota that confirmed this. Anybody know anything about it?

Over the last 2 tanks of fuel I'm averaging better than 54 mpg (7 litres per 100kms).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Come again? Some *tire* guy is telling you it voids the warranty? And he's not even a Toyota person?

It's baloney. Ask him to show you the actual TSB, and when he can't, he's unmasked for what he is: somebody who wants to sell you tires with the highest markup for him.

Nowhere in *any* of the Toyota literature that comes with the car does it say anything about using a specific *brand* of tire. What matters is the size and load rating of the tires. I'm using Bridgestone B420s (175/65R/14) on my 2002 Silver, and they work just fine. Their load rating at 44 psi (1018 x 4) is well within the weight rating of the car (GVWR=3615 lb.), and they are quiet and sure-footed. They are also steel-belted, which the OEM Potenzas are not, according to specs on the bridgestonetire.com web site.

Since you are still within the 3yr/36,000 mile Roadside Assistance warranty period, you should file a claim directly with Toyota to recoup the cost of your new tires. The original tires are specifically covered by this warranty. Directions for filing a claim are found in the Roadside Assistance brochure, which is separate from the warranty and service booklets you should have received from the previous owner when you bought the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In France Priuses come with Michelin tires (not specific ones, just standard "Michelin Energy").
When the tires came in, the store called to tell me that if I had put anything other than Bridgestone Tires on the vehicle that Toyota would void my warranty.
Pure bulls***. :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tires

Tires seem to be the hot topic among Prius owners, I bumped my tire pressure to 40psi and saw an increase of 7mpg.....Anyone have any ideas on studded snow tires as our summers are oh so short here in Alaska!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tire recall

Toyota had a voluntary recall on those crappy tires to replace them with the next version of those crappy tires (which indeed wear better). I got all four tires replaced no charge several months ago. If your tire model number started with a certain three letters you were entitled to a free replacement. You were probably had, sorry.

Aron

·
Registered
23 Posts
The pics I have of the 04 have goodyears on it. Has anyone seen goodyears from toyota before. Bridgestones are whats on most some have yokohama, BF goodrich and mich. but I haven't seen any goodyear.

·
Registered
515 Posts
> Has anyone seen goodyears from toyota before.

No, but I've seen Goodyears on a Toyota. My Prius has been using them for 23,500 miles now. They work fantastic, a big improvement over the OEM tires.

G

·
0 Posts
Henry said:
Come again? Some *tire* guy is telling you it voids the warranty? And he's not even a Toyota person?

It's baloney. Ask him to show you the actual TSB, and when he can't, he's unmasked for what he is: somebody who wants to sell you tires with the highest markup for him.

Nowhere in *any* of the Toyota literature that comes with the car does it say anything about using a specific *brand* of tire. What matters is the size and load rating of the tires. I'm using Bridgestone B420s (175/65R/14) on my 2002 Silver, and they work just fine. Their load rating at 44 psi (1018 x 4) is well within the weight rating of the car (GVWR=3615 lb.), and they are quiet and sure-footed. They are also steel-belted, which the OEM Potenzas are not, according to specs on the bridgestonetire.com web site.

>>During my 18 months of fighting with toyota regarding my toyota problems, a significant part of which was related to tires issues, they included among their attack a charge that I was using the wrong tires: bridgestone potenzas 175/65r/14 but the non XL ones. While the dealer had provided them due to a road hazard (I paid for them), toyota motors was apparently acutely aware that I was not in the loop on the wider scope of the tire plague issue. Retrospection show that they were capitalizing on our ignorance. How are the non prius usergroup customers fairing? From indications on the NTHSA 2003 LEMON WATCH LIST (PRIUS #2), I would recon not too good. I don't think the feeling I, or they, are getting is the feeling they are alluding to in their corporate marketing slogan. And with respect to the Prius marketing slogan of looking smart and owning a prius, I can easily see some/many feeling pretty dumb in the long run!

<<Since you are still within the 3yr/36,000 mile Roadside Assistance warranty period, you should file a claim directly with Toyota to recoup the cost of your new tires. The original tires are specifically covered by this warranty. Directions for filing a claim are found in the Roadside Assistance brochure, which is separate from the warranty and service booklets you should have received from the previous owner when you bought the car.

>>The original tires are covered by a separate tire manufacturer warranty - not the 3yr 36K mile car warranty. The battery is also coverered under a separate warranty. (Alignment by toyota only 12kmiles or 1 year). These are in your warranty manual. The road hazard warranty are for road hazards. A creative dealership may be able to get some cases treated as a road hazard causing an alignment problem or something applicable. But, the fact remains that an uneven tire wear condition is not a road hazard situation. The insurer is likely now pretty hip to what is transpiring with this car in particular. Earlier, the company was blaming the tires.

>>Ever wonder or learned what is causing the rack failures? Will the replacement rack solve the problem permanently or buy time until he warranty period is over. I have not been notified of any official tire replacement/assistance program and do not feel comfortable expecting the good graces of toyota to come through when these eventualities readily resurface just outside the warranty period.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts