Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have complained about some of the dash warning lights, so my car decided to teach me a lesson about DASH WARNING LIGHTS. On my way home Friday night from a dance, I got a Christmas tree full of warning lights, a buzzer and I think there may have been a flare gun involved. Luckily I was 3 blocks from home. Called my dealer Saturday, and they said I should not drive it. They sent a flatbed and towed it to the shop. I am waiting to hear what's up. Nothing sadder than seeing your car up on the flatbed. Unless it's upside down in the ditch. There, I feel better. :?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
Nothing sadder than seeing your car up on the flatbed
While I sincerely hope you get your car back with all due speed, I have to disagree with this statement.

A few years ago, I lived in an apartment complex with very limited parking. It was the habbit of most people to park on the curb side dispite the tow-away warnings. One day the complex management decided to crack down on it. *I* found out about it when my daughter ran inside and said "Dad, they're towing away your car!"

Well, with no time to lose, I ran out to try to catch the guy. Since the owner of the towing company was living with my sister, I figured I had a good chance of talking the driver into giving my car back. Barefoot, I ran out across the hot July asphalt, but didn't get to the truck before the driver was speeding away.

After all that, Hep, I can--with great reliability--say that "getting 2nd degree burns on your feet while you watch your car be taken away on a flatbed" is much worse!

Let us know what happens!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:?: :!:

Second degree burns from going barefoot. Tell my again why you like Florida? I will let you know when I hear from the nice folks at Toyota City.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hep said:
I have complained about some of the dash warning lights, so my car decided to teach me a lesson about DASH WARNING LIGHTS. On my way home Friday night from a dance, I got a Christmas tree full of warning lights, a buzzer and I think there may have been a flare gun involved. Luckily I was 3 blocks from home. Called my dealer Saturday, and they said I should not drive it. They sent a flatbed and towed it to the shop. I am waiting to here what's up. Nothing sadder than seeing your car up on the flatbed. Unless it's upside down in the ditch. There, I feel better. :?
Hep,
Sorry to hear of your trouble. After owning my Prius for a few months it started displaying symptoms similar to what you are describing and, like yours, my car was hauled to the dealership on a flatbed truck. Luckily I didn't have to burn my feet while chasing my sister's boyfriend's tow truck, but it was a sad day nonetheless. The good news is that, after having the "wiring harness" TSB EG023-04 work performed, I have not had any such problem whatsoever. I don't know if your Prius requires this fix, but you might want to ask.
Good luck,
Moo :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife called and said my car is ready. They "reprogrammed my computer". I will get whatever deatails they are willing to part with, when I pick it up this afternoon. Maybe they installed XP?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hep said:
My wife called and said my car is ready. They "reprogrammed my computer". I will get whatever deatails they are willing to part with, when I pick it up this afternoon. Maybe they installed XP?
I hope for your sake they didnt. Imagine

"Sorry, you can not turn left at this junction. Please try again. If you get this error again, please contact your technical support department."

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Victor said:
Hep said:

"Sorry, you can not turn left at this junction. Please try again. If you get this error again, please contact your technical support department."
Or how about a slowly turning hour glass on the multi-function display?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep, Hep... I can tell you are upset about this Hep. Why not take a tranqulizer and talk about it rationally.

Hep, Hep, my mind is going I can feel it...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
melgish said:
Hep, Hep... I can tell you are upset about this Hep. Why not take a tranqulizer and talk about it rationally.

going...going...who are you kidding?...it's gone! :twisted:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hep said:
melgish said:

going...going...who are you kidding?...it's gone! :twisted:
[strike]Your're[/strike] Your barbs are quite sharp today... Finish off the box of Wheaties did ya?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Oh, BTW

BTW, the burned feet story did have a happy ending...

After I went to the doctor, and got bandaged up, I limped over to the apartment complex office... I explained to them that the reason my car was parked where it was is because my feet were burned, and I wasn't able to walk out to move it.

They felt so bad they paid the towing company to bring my car back, and then my pseudo-brother-in-law gave me half the money for good measure. :)

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Oh, BTW

Great story! :lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lights and buzzers

It seems like everybody gets the dreaded lights and buzzer notification at least once but it's a fairly simple fix. I'm hoping this grim reaper passes me by.

Hep, did your car give you any prior "notification" before the Christmas Tree display? Did you use the Toyota Roadside Towing?

Happy to hear you're getting your baby back so soon. Was it a difficult being seperated???!! :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hep, what year is your Prius? I keep hearing about this "warning lights" problem, does anyone know if this is still a problem with the cars coming off the assembly line now? Was there a TSB for it?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hep said:
Victor said:
Hep said:

Or how about a slowly turning hour glass on the multi-function display?

Heh, heh...or this one: "MS-V91V94598F: A serious internal error has occurred in method oingoboingo.88190v3(). Called method failed. Calling method failed. Your kid just failed 4th grade. Register snapdump complete. Please visit our tech support website at http://www....ovkae....okr...mab.com/SO ... ad/drivers for a patch."

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Lights and buzzers

KURT said:
It seems like everybody gets the dreaded lights and buzzer notification at least once but it's a fairly simple fix. I'm hoping this grim reaper passes me by.

Hep, did your car give you any prior "notification" before the Christmas Tree display? Did you use the Toyota Roadside Towing?

Happy to hear you're getting your baby back so soon. Was it a difficult being seperated???!! :wink:
My car is an 04. There was no problem before the lights. I was just a few blocks from home on a 30 mile trip. Drove home just fine with the warning lights providing a discomforting glow. I just called my dealer in the morning. They sent the tow.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kerensky said:
Hep, what year is your Prius? I keep hearing about this "warning lights" problem, does anyone know if this is still a problem with the cars coming off the assembly line now? Was there a TSB for it?
There was a TSB, but I don't have the code for it with me this morning. Seems it was all with the ECU. Nothing mechanical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Deena's getting a lobotomy...

Exact same thing happened to me on Sunday (yes, Halloween). Last 5 blocks from my house on a 27 mile drive, all those "expressive" danger signs light up. No warning beforehand, and unable to clear by turning the engine off and on. Drove home on a wing and a prayer, then drove to the dealer in the morning. At least it drove ok, but I was worried since one of the lights indicated that there was a problem with the hybrid system.

They checked, and told me that they could not get the codes out of the computer, so decided to replace the computer in Deena. Kept her overnight, so I will hopefully get her back today.

The dealer arranged for me to get a rental car, and i HATE it!!! After driving the Prius for 10 weeks, the rental feels like a big unwieldy tank. It is a Chryseler Sebring, so it isn't like I am driving a Hummer, but still....

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Deena's getting a lobotomy...

enoki said:
Exact same thing happened to me on Sunday (yes, Halloween). Last 5 blocks from my house on a 27 mile drive, all those "expressive" danger signs light up. No warning beforehand, and unable to clear by turning the engine off and on. Drove home on a wing and a prayer, then drove to the dealer in the morning. At least it drove ok, but I was worried since one of the lights indicated that there was a problem with the hybrid system.

They checked, and told me that they could not get the codes out of the computer, so decided to replace the computer in Deena. Kept her overnight, so I will hopefully get her back today.

The dealer arranged for me to get a rental car, and i HATE it!!! After driving the Prius for 10 weeks, the rental feels like a big unwieldy tank. It is a Chryseler Sebring, so it isn't like I am driving a Hummer, but still....
I drove a Corolla. Noisy, rattly, and it didn't shut off at the stoplights! Glad to have my Prius back.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was TSB EG047-04. Whatever that may mean.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts