Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 prius seems to have developed a unique problem. I have not seen it discussed before on this forum. While traveling at varius speeds, it switches the drive system to neutral. It has happened a couple to times now, switching from drive to neutral and once from reverse to neutral. Has anyone experienced this before? Any clue as to what may be causing it? I feel I'm going to have to take it in to be serviced, but with an intermittent problem, they may not be able to locate the fault. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
If you press the Power or Park buttons while moving, the 2004-? Prius will beep at you and put you into Neutral.

Also, since I do not drive my husband's 2004 Prius often enough, I have a bad habit of taking too long when flipping the joystick into D or R "gears." If you hold the joystick at the straight left position too long, that's how you choose N. Since I am slow at shifting, instead of getting the D or R that I expect, instead it goes into N.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Assuming the obvious (hitting the switch with a knee) isn't the case, have the dealer check the switch--it's a hall switch, not mechanical, so it shouldn't wear out, but a defective switch, maybe with a loose magnet, might cause this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you comments thus far. The drive shift lever is not being bumped accidentally. Normal driving. We've had this vechicle since Feb 05 without any like instances.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have shifted into N a few times but never while at various speeds. In my case, going into R too quickly out of my driveway has resulted in being in N instead. A couple of times from P into D I've also shifted too quickly (at least that's the way I interpret it) and found myself in N. In both cases I realize what's going on and correct things. Having it happen while driving can be disconcerting, though.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
evander said:
I have shifted into N a few times but never while at various speeds. In my case, going into R too quickly out of my driveway has resulted in being in N instead. A couple of times from P into D I've also shifted too quickly (at least that's the way I interpret it) and found myself in N. In both cases I realize what's going on and correct things. Having it happen while driving can be disconcerting, though.
I know the OP was on a 2005, but on a Classic Prius the radio controls (like the volume knob, for example) are at just the right height that if you are reaching over to change something, and go over a bump in the road, your arm will knock the gear shift lever out of D and into N. Very wierd feeling to be slowing down, and pressure to the accelerator causes the engine to rev but you continue to slow down...

But if the OP is certain that he was in gear to begin with on his 2005, and that no one has touched the joystick or pressed the Power or Park buttons while driving, the car going into Neutral is not a normal thing (without being accompanied by other warning lights), and should have it looked at.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The car does record the number of times when 'bone-head' moves are made, such as attempting to put the car in park or shifting direction while already in motion. This may shed some light as to why the car shifts to Neutral. This is not to say that you are actually making such moves, but that the car thinks you are.

·
Registered
919 Posts
DanMan32 said:
The car does record the number of times when 'bone-head' moves are made, such as attempting to put the car in park or shifting direction while already in motion. This may shed some light as to why the car shifts to Neutral. This is not to say that you are actually making such moves, but that the car thinks you are.
So my Prius knows that I'm a bonehead? Won't my family be amused...not that I'll ever pass this info along to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts