Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've used 3 or 4 different incarnations of that hood...the first was fabric and floppy. The second was fabric but a bit more rigid...but still too floppy and a bit ugly. The third was leather and much better, but not perfect. The fourth is plastic, textured rigid plastic that looks great and fits great and I like quite a lot.

This still isn't perfect as the sun entering at relatively low angles from the side or back still cast a pretty good glare, but I'd say glare is reduced 50% of what it is without the sun shield. I think it's a good product and would recommend it for all Prius drivers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have one and it works well. As efusco states nothing is really going to help when the sun is at low angles.

As for hyperion's remarks, I would take them with a big grain of salt as he is the forum curmudgeon and is uniformly negative about everything, especially if it has anything to do with the Prius.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Prius MFD Hood

I have the Prius hard plastic sun shield mentioned installed for about a week. Its the best thing going for the MFD screen to shade the sun and glare. It will not help if you shine a flash light directly into the screen, but most normal angles from left side, right side and down the top at high noon are stopped. It does match the other plastic around the dash near the power button and the glove box top lid as good as you can find, unless you have the original Toyota plastic.

So to say the least its fantastic. At sunrise or sunset make sure your driving into the sun and not to your back end. This will solve the complaints mentioned.

P.S.
Some mentioned the mud flaps and they are well worth the investment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, I have one and have been surprisingly pleased with it. It does look "added on" somewhat, but with its being made of textured black plastic, its appearance is acceptable.

I was concerned about two aspects of it:

1. Whether the mounting method, Velcro, would come loose in the hot California sun. To date, this has not been a problem at all; it seems to be mounted as securely now as when I first installed it.

2. Whether it would be a dangerous object in the event of a collision. It is a hard, thin protruding surface that could be extremely dangerous if a passenger struck it during a collision. Because of the fact that the shoulder belt will roll the driver and the passenger AWAY from the centerline of the car toward the door, and because of the fact that both driver and passenger are well protected by three airbags each, I decided that it is virtually impossible for an occupant to strike the shade in a collision.

Based on personal experience, I am happy to recommend this product.

Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have one as well. It doesn't look great...but not bad either. It does help quite a bit with seeing the screen on sunny days (which we have plenty of in SE Florida).

It has stayed in place and does what it says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.