Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received a ticket (while driving our 6 month old Prius) for going 40 in a 25. It's my first ticket since 1998 (when I swore I would be much smarter about my driving habits).

As far as "excuses" go - of course, there are none. But.... I was driving the Prius (no transmission, "roar" of engine not very loud). It's only 6 months old, and I frankly only drive it about 1/4 of the time (my SO drives it most of the time). The car drives differently enough from a "normal" car that the (harsh) regenerative braking takes time getting used to, as well as the lack of any slow down on hills (since there's no transmission, there are no gears to slow the car down). Is any of that worth mentioning? In all honestly, I do believe it was at least part of the reason I wasn't going the posted 25 mph....

Has anyone else out there been to court to fight a Prius speeding ticket? Anyone used the "Prius is a different kind of car" argument as a sympathetic "please lessen my charge" argument?

·
Registered
928 Posts
grebe said:
2004 Salsa Red Prius
Well there's your problem :p

Seriously, 25 MPH is very difficult in any car because things don't happen fast enough to keep your attention focused. That's why it makes such a good revenue enhancement tool for a town. With the Prius, at least you can play the "try to keep the engine from starting for as long as possible" game to keep your mind focused on the tedious task of maintaining such a low speed. Or just set the cruise control and take a nap :p

Disclaimer: DO NOT follow the above advice to take a nap. It's obviously a joke.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well, were you ticketed by a 'photo radar', or an officer?

If an officer, did you admit that you were speeding to the officer? If so, you're screwed. If you've never had a speeding ticket before (or only in another state,) write a letter to the judge with an "I know I'm bad, I'll never do it again" 'guilty' plea, begging for leniency. He may at least reduce the fine; and may even reduce the charge to something that still fines you, but doesn't go on your driving record. (Many states have 'special' civil violations that can be used in such cases. Arizona has their "excessive use of a finite resource" law, which isn't a 'traffic' ticket, so it doesn't impact your insurance, but it still costs money.)

Or check if your state will let you go to traffic school. Some may let you go to a once-a-week-for-a-month class that will remove the ticket from your record. (Again, I only know about Arizona, where they only let you take the class once every three years to expunge one ticket. The ticket is COMPLETELY removed from your record, but they do have a note that you've taken it that only the court can read, so they know you can't do it again.)

Other than that, you takes your lumps. (I seem to get a new ticket within days of my last ticket falling off my insurance record.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, salsa red - i didn't want a red car! we wanted blue but after 6 months of waiting, we caved - dangit red car!!!

i was nabbed by an officer, not a camera, and i'm fairly sure i never admitted to going any speed - i was just shocked (and honestly so) when he said i was going 40. (it's a road where 30/35 really seems like the minimum).

(shakes her head.... salsa red.......)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Speeding ticket

I haven't gotten a ticket in our Prius but can thoroughly understand how it happens, especially if you don't drive it all the time. You don't realize how attuned to shifting you get until you don't have it. I accelerate to a faster speed in the Prius than in the Galant because there are no clues on how fast you are going. When we picked up the Prius I was on the onramp and almost ran into the back of a big rig because I was having trouble gauging my speed versus the freeway speed. I have told this story to almost anyone who asks about the Prius. Also, I had a co-worker, a retired police officer, who drove the prius and right off the bat when accelerating out of the parking lot he was 20 mph over the speed limit. When I pointed it out to him he was surprised

Ask the judge to drive the Prius as your evidence. Maybe that will get you out of the ticket, LOL. I have heard that anytime you go to court and offer a reasonable explanation the judge is likely to reduce the charge. Maybe some stories from Priusonline could be presented also. Good luck, but watch that speed in your Priusl

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't see how anyone can not know they are going a specific speed
considering the speedometer is in plain sight in large, prominent numbers.

Actually, I have never seen a car where it was so easy to maintain
the proper speed. Just watch the numbers while you are still able
to fully concentrate on the road, since both are in your field of vision.

One other point, be very gentle with the accellerator pedal. I have
barely touched it to achieve the speed required very quickly. It makes
me wonder what it would really do if I punched it.

:) :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
There is built in 'slow down', though not via the method of a traditional car. If your foot is totally off of the gas there will be a small amount of drag induced by the regenerative braking system. You can feather the pedal down slightly to get rid of that (no arrows at all show on the energy display)--we refer to that as gliding.

My opinion, pay the ticket. You were speeding. You were in control, you go nabbed. Unfamiliarity with a vehicle is not an excuse.

·
Registered
381 Posts
grebe said:
he said i was going 40. (it's a road where 30/35 really seems like the minimum)
Personally, I use the signs and the speedometer, and not how fast traffic is going (which is commonly faster than posted).
If it's a "known speed trap", lock in the cruise control at the posted limit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got my first speeding ticket a couple weeks ago, going 64 in a 45 zone...though the officer wrote down that the limit was 50 because he didn't think that was unreasonable. I don't know how much the ticket is for, it is not on the actual ticket and I haven't received anything in the mail. When I go to the website, they have no record of my citation. I suppose I should call the number. One time my friend said he got a ticket and when he called and they said they didn't have a record, they told him not to worry about it. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
110 Posts
i think you shouldask the officer to say you were going 85! that way the judge will say something like "is that one of those dinky litttle cars you have to plug in?" you say, "why yes sir (maam) it sure is" . the judge says,"well they cant possibly go that fast. case dismissed!!!!!" :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Big favor!

Richard said:
I got my first speeding ticket a couple weeks ago, going 64 in a 45 zone...though the officer wrote down that the limit was 50 because he didn't think that was unreasonable.
That officer did you a huge favor, at least as far as your insurance is concerned. Anything more than 15 over the limit and your insurance rates take a big hit as that's considered "reckless" in their view.

If you can't talk 'em out of the ticket, at least try to get it for less than 15 over! Your wallet will thank you.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Re: Big favor!

GeoffM said:
Richard said:
I got my first speeding ticket a couple weeks ago, going 64 in a 45 zone...though the officer wrote down that the limit was 50 because he didn't think that was unreasonable.
That officer did you a huge favor, at least as far as your insurance is concerned. Anything more than 15 over the limit and your insurance rates take a big hit as that's considered "reckless" in their view.

If you can't talk 'em out of the ticket, at least try to get it for less than 15 over! Your wallet will thank you.

Geoff
I was thinking the same thing. The magical 15mph mark is where the fine for the ticket itself takes a huge jump. States with a 'points' system awards a lot more points, and the insurance hit.

I recall a visit to a local police station and noticed the fee sign one day many years ago and saw the 0-5mph over was some miniscule fee, 5-10 wasn't that much either, 10-15 over was starting to get painful, but 15+ and you really got slammed.

From that day on, in my pre-Prius days, I'd always set the CC to speed limit + 9 just to stay out of those higher fee areas but was willing to accept the risk of being stopped (very small at that speed) for a ticket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Instead of the built-in NAV I opted for a Garmin 2620 which records MPH/Max MPH , Time and other stuff on a trip information page. IF I knew I was not exceeding the speed limit I would bring this page up and show the officer or take a digital picture of it which records date and have someone witness that for any further problems. But I'm never lucky enough to be "caught" when I'm under the limit probably always a few MPH above except in school zones :twisted:

·
Registered
82 Posts
:shock: Recently, on the Page extension, I have noticed that my Prius seems to just "take off" at times and go from 60 to 70-- and higher-- VERY QUICKLY. Its like it takes on a "life of its own."

I used to think it was a bit of a "stodgy" car. But lately I have had to caution myself to watch the speedometer more carefully so that I do not get a speeding ticket! Normally I am coasting along-- trying to "beef-up" my MPG-- letting everyone speed by be. But lately, this little car has decided that it is NOT stodgy......

Moreover, even at the high speed, you can coast and see 100 MPG (all green) on the consumption screen. Bad for tickets....... But great car....

Happy (safe) driving!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder if one of those beeps to indicate "speed too high" could be
added to the system as an option. Just set the limit you want and it will
start beeping if you exceed it. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Karenann.. I wonder if I've seen your Prius a couple time. Do you ever go around olive near bubble tea or near 141?

if i ever drive on olive.. that's usually where i am

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Keep in mind, folks; the cops will oftentimes give fewer warnings and write more tickets when they catch you speeding in a school zone.

No sense in fighting that one. All the cop has to do in court is say that the department had received many reports of speeding during school hours in recent weeks, and honestly, what judge will let you off? Maybe a judge that hates children?

Pay the fine and watch your speed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i got out of a ticket when i really was going 50 in a 40, but i told the cop i couldnt possbily be going any faster than 41 because i was in electric mode.

The cop didnt know what the heck i was talking about, and showed him how my car didnt make any noise (thankfully the ICE stayed off) and he believed me. :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts