Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new Prius and was supposed to get LoJack installed. That got canceled. It was explained to me that the LoJack installers were causing electrical problems with the Prius and the company (LoJack) was unwilling to solve the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to replace it with as the car has nothing but its passive security system.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well, the only way someone's stealing your car is either with your keys, or with a tow truck. If you feel that you are in 'real danger' of someone using one of those two methods, then either go for a loud flashy normal alarm, or research some of the other GPS-based car recovery services.

There is *NO* 'hotwiring' of the Prius. (Hell, I carry the rest of my keys separate from my Prius keyfob, so if someone tries to carjack me, I'll just hit Power real quick, and toss him my normal keys. It'll take him five minutes just to attempt to figure out how to start it. And won't be successful.)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
You said "it was explained," but you didn't say who did the explaining. Was it Lojack or your dealer? If it was the latter, they're full of it. And "it" is NOT candy and flowers!

I have lojack PLUS the early warning system, and have never had any electrical problems. The Lojack installers know what they're doing.

Ehurtley is right, you really have no need for Lojack because it cannot be hotwired.

But it can be put on a flatbed and towed away. Lojack would help you get your car back in that event.

And it can be carjacked from you. Lojack would help the cops maybe catch the carjackers. With any luck, there would be a shootout and the only people injured or killed would be the carjackers.

But that's all neither here nor there. If you want the unit, call Lojack and have them send out an installer. They'll do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just spoke to a NYC Police Officer who told me just like car alarms going off, when the LoJack reciever in the police car goes off they just turn it off.
Thus the LoJack system is just as useless as a car alarm.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Unlike a car alarm, the LoJack company can track the car after it has been stolen. (Although any professional car theft organization will remove the LoJack transmitter as soon as they get a hold of the car; and since the only way to steal a Prius requires a lot of work, such as that employed by organizations, it's probably not worth it.)

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
FBear said:
Just spoke to a NYC Police Officer who told me just like car alarms going off, when the LoJack reciever in the police car goes off they just turn it off.
Thus the LoJack system is just as useless as a car alarm.
Most don't "just turn it off." Maybe they do that in NYC when they are already on a run or something. And maybe some cops don't take it seriously. But Lojack's recovery rate is absolutely fantastic, and the only way that can happen is if SOME cops are using the system and taking it seriously.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about a Prius being stolen by anyone but kids wanting a ride. No parts market for stripped parts as yet and probably never will be as the backyard mechs only know, "stay away from the orange cable" Very few stolan cars are ever driven except to an "accident"

·
Registered
9 Posts
And to enter in a closed Prius. I've seen that the fob comes with a Little Key to open Prius in case of a battery failure. Is this true? And if so where is the lock? This lock could be opened by a thief as a standard door?

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
joaoesd said:
And to enter in a closed Prius. I've seen that the fob comes with a Little Key to open Prius in case of a battery failure. Is this true? And if so where is the lock? This lock could be opened by a thief as a standard door?
Yes, if the battery in the fob is dead, the only way to enter the Prius is to get a new fob battery, or to use the little metal key that's in the fob to open the driver's door (the only key hole on the entire car). To drive the car, you can still put the batteryless keyfob into the dash slot to drive it.

So I guess that a thief could enter your car and steal your things if they want to pick your lock, but based on the police logs in my area the more usual way to grab a purse or laptop or CDs or change out of a parked car is the smash and grab method of leaving broken window glass everywhere... (LoJack or Guidepoint or such vehicle recovery system won't help prevent property theft.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you, mrv. In Portugal Prius is very rare and will attract many attentions and in deed the smash and grab method is far the most used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have lojack

I have a 04 and had lojack put in last month.

the dealer just put in an alarm (outsourced) and now the smart keyless entry system is not work. What is going on?

Does anyone out there have a alarm that actucally works with the smart key system?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Re: I have lojack

ratpack said:
I have a 04 and had lojack put in last month.

the dealer just put in an alarm (outsourced) and now the smart keyless entry system is not work. What is going on?

Does anyone out there have a alarm that actucally works with the smart key system?

thanks

yes, the factory/Toyota alarm:

VIP (Vehicle Intrusion Protection)
RS3200 Security System Upgrade
Part Number: 08586-47840

any chance that someone pushed the
"Smart" button under the dash and
turned off the SE&SS system on you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts