Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Car, the biggest reviewing magazine in the UK, has just tested an '04 Prius.

Our version is slightly different eg 16inch wheels, different suspension and an EV only mode.

Quoted EU combined cycle is 65.7mpg, which in your money is about 55mpg.

Overall the car got a big thumbs up, though it costs 17,000 over here (less 1,000 back from the government powershift scheme), meaning that several diesel models with similar economy are a lot cheaper.

The EV-only mode can be switched on for engine free operation in the city, but only gives about 1.25 miles range. This seems about consistent with roughly 300Wh, or about a fifth of the entire battery capacity.

Diesel Car (another UK magazine) also reviewed it and said "With this car, Toyota have finally shown that fuel cells really work" What can we do? :roll:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is it fair to mention that the term "FUEL CELL" is used in the racing community (cars, boats, planes, ???) to mean the fuel storage component AKA gas tank?

Under this definition, all my vehicles and generators and chipper shredder, etc have successfully demonstrated their fuel cell performance.

Intended or not, the diesel blokes were tongue in cheek funny.

:D Pat :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
What's different about the suspension there?

clett said:
What Car, the biggest reviewing magazine in the UK, has just tested an '04 Prius.

Our version is slightly different eg 16inch wheels, different suspension and an EV only mode.

Quoted EU combined cycle is 65.7mpg, which in your money is about 55mpg.

Overall the car got a big thumbs up, though it costs 17,000 over here (less 1,000 back from the government powershift scheme), meaning that several diesel models with similar economy are a lot cheaper.

The EV-only mode can be switched on for engine free operation in the city, but only gives about 1.25 miles range. This seems about consistent with roughly 300Wh, or about a fifth of the entire battery capacity.

Diesel Car (another UK magazine) also reviewed it and said "With this car, Toyota have finally shown that fuel cells really work" What can we do? :roll:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Answer taken from here:

http://www.carkeys.co.uk/launch/LA000236.htm

" Out on non-motorway open roads, the European-market Prius is set up for more sporting driving than the ones sold in Japan and the States. Toyota has adapted the front suspension design of the Avensis and the rear-end set-up of the Corolla. "

:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up. I guess I was looking for more detail about the component differences - lowering springs, improved dampeners, torsion bar, et al. I have detailed diagrams of the US spec suspension - I wonder if anyone around has the EURO spec diagrams.

The only reason I'm interested is because I tend to drive a bit more aggressively than the average citizen (hold-over from driving an IS300 previously).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts