Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Clarkson.. he doesn't bother to learn. Besides, as James May says, all Jeremy says is "Power!!" hehehe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh, that stupid thing. The guy is clearly an a**.

One might be able to make reasonable critical comments about the Prius but that piece of crap doesn't make one.

Phish Phood said:
British.. they're known to be haters.
I'd have to say that this comment is disappointing since it is evidence of bias. The reviewer is an a** and would be what ever country he came from.

·
Registered
992 Posts
njkayaker said:

One might be able to make reasonable critical comments about the Prius but that piece of crap doesn't make one.

Phish Phood said:
British.. they're known to be haters.
I'd have to say that this comment is disappointing since it is evidence of bias. The reviewer is an a** and would be what ever country he came from.
He's following the trend of Simon Cowell :p

·
Registered
62 Posts
Phish Phood said:
njkayaker said:

[quote="Phish Phood":a1qwszpt]British.. they're known to be haters.
He's following the trend of Simon Cowell :p[/quote:a1qwszpt]
Well, at least that comment has some chance of being funny.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I'm with hyp. Have a sense of humor! After all the guy can't even drive on the correct side of the road, so who can take him seriously!

:lol:

I like the line about the little children who don't hear the car coming.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As much fun as that was, I wonder how he managed to get such poor mileage from the Prius. Over there an imperial "gallon" is 1.25x a US "gallon," so if one were to normally get 50mpg in a Prius here, it should be 62.5mpg there. 45mpg is downright embarrassing.

Richard

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Right, and 0-60 in 13 seconds? Is that a metric mile? It certainly can't be a KM/hr.

Children being able to fetch the ball, get out of the street, and grow to puberty.

He did remind me of Simon a little.

·
Registered
548 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Right, and 0-60 in 13 seconds? Is that a metric mile? It certainly can't be a KM/hr.
No, it's probably the regular 0-60. :)

If you drive the Prius with a low battery (2 or 3 bars) it turns into a slug. I'm becoming quite familiar with that now that the AC is draining it on a semi-regular basis at stop signs.

I think all of the 10.5 second runs occur with green batteries, and I really wish there was a way to 'reserve' that power until it's needed. :\

·
Registered
45 Posts
Top Gear Review

Hey! Just let this Limey Jerk go. Don't give him the attention he does not deserve.

We know we have a superior car. I smile. . .no. . .I grin every time I pass a gas station in my Prius. And I don't need something that will go from 0 to 60 in six seconds. I got rid of those impulses about 50 years ago.

We, the owners and drivers of Prius, know we have superior cars that are comfortable and saving us money in gas purchases. If people don't want to believe us, well, well, well, let them drive their gas guzzlers!

Stan Bringer

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recall being equally flabbergasted at their reception of the Prius when I saw that episode originally, even notwithstanding their preference for performance vehicles.

Then I saw their review of the Prius on the Top Gear web site, which was written by Jeremy Clarkson (the same Jeremy Clarkson, even!) and was much more balanced, and even enthusiastic about the Prius.

Alas, it seems their in-depth reviews are no longer freely available on topgear.com, but here is an excerpt from their current overview of the Prius:

The economy, though, is even better. The rechargable battery, engine-driven generator and a regenerative braking system mean each gallon lasts for 65.7 miles, according to its EU combined cycle figures.

It does take a little while to get the feel of the Prius, but once you get the hang of it, it never feels lacking in real-world motoring situations. The ride is comfortable, although the compromise is some body roll in the bends. The car's shape also makes it susceptible to the effects of side-winds on exposed stretches.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The review seemed biased to be sure, but some parts were pretty funny, like the sarcasm hurled at the hollywood crowd. I can envision a similarly scathing review of many vehicles being pretty funny.

He reported mileage on the highway - the 45 mpg thing - and commented that the VW Lupo yielded 75 on the same drive. for those not familiar with the lupo:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/consumer/ ... uto497.htm

What he (here's the bias part) didn't do was talk about how high the prius's mileage can be during normal commuting and in-city driving that dominates my life. My highway mileage is similarly not-that-impressive but my city mileage is rockin. I got the Prius up to (all-city, only some very brief insterstate trips across-town) 57.4 before having to run the A/C for 2 straight days with kids in the car, which dropped it to 55.5. Both as reported by the computer.

The Lupo may or may not be a match for that around town, and its certainly alot smaller, and based on the comments in that review its probably alot less easy to zip into highway traffic (as it was said to be very, very slow).

And, frankly, the Prius isn't that slow.

Anyway, i think we pri drivers get a bit used to being toyota=reviewers darlings here in the US, and seeing the car get treated how GM and other cars get treated here is perhaps not so fun.

But still, the review made me chuckle.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
After reading about the Lupo using the link Hummus provided, it really gets my goat that Jeremy would knock the Prius for its lower gas mileage than the Lupo, then have the gaul to say that the Prius is slow. The Prius sounds way faster than the Lupo.

But I am sure this pitch was to be a bit satirical.

·
Registered
231 Posts
DanMan32 said:
After reading about the Lupo using the link Hummus provided, it really gets my goat that Jeremy would knock the Prius for its lower gas mileage than the Lupo, then have the gaul to say that the Prius is slow. The Prius sounds way faster than the Lupo.

But I am sure this pitch was to be a bit satirical.
i agree, he is being a pest with that (not mentioning that the lupo is probably slower than the pri)

frankly, i haven't had any speed complaints with the prius. not one time, ever, have i had a moment when i said "dang, if only i had 400 horsepower that would have gone alot better"

so to the speed thing i say :roll:

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are three reasons the Lupo gets such mileage-

Firstly, as above noted, it is smaller, lighter, and has an even less powerful drivetrain than the Prius (and actually has similar acceleration characteristics).

Secondly, the gallon used in British fuel economy is the U. K. gallon, which is slighly larger than the U. S. gallon.

And thirdly, most importantly, and it was, I believed, mentioned in the Top Gear episode, is that the Lupo runs on Diesel fuel.

What is not mentioned in the review, and we all know, is that the Prius runs a lot cleaner than diesel-powered cars, regardless of the fuel economy.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ghoti said:
Firstly, as above noted, it is smaller, lighter, and has an even less powerful drivetrain than the Prius (and actually has similar acceleration characteristics).

economy.
is the prius actually slow? i can't say that (save the hesitation when you first put your foot down and wait for the ICE to kick in) i've ever thought it to be.

so i dug up some info

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alt ... price.html

0-60 in 9.8

That isn't that slow. In fact, not 15 years ago "sporty" cars had 0-60 times similar to that. My 1991 prelude was like 9.1 0-60 and it was a "sports car", sort of.

And '83 'vette was 0-60 in about 8 seconds.

for a dizzying array of reference speeds: http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/ ... times.html

Many 3 and 5 series BMWs are slower than that up to about 15 years ago, seems like it might almost be reasonable tos ay most cars from the 80's are slower than that, 82 and 83 Camaro's are barely faster, etc.

Seems reasonable for what isn't a performance car to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts