Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
This is old news. Many of us have received the recall notice and have already had the work done. There are several posts on the subject on this forum.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: Wouldn't it be nice if forum members would do a simple SEARCH on their subject matter before posting old, time-worn news?

**SIGH**

·
Registered
10 Posts
recall, not the old recall

If you think you already had it done, you're wrong.
It refers to the problem of car stalling while driving and unable to restart.
When this happened to me this summer, took car in and was told needed new software update as part of a recall that had just been issued.
Couple months later, got notice about this in mail with code 50P, thought was same thing so ignored it.
Took car in for oil change (november) and found there is a NEW RECALL update same subject, new software. So had that done on the spot.
DON'T IGNORE THE RECALL NOTICE!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine HAS been fixed. I had it done about two weeks ago. I have noticed no difference in any aspect of hybrid behavior, mileage, etc. I never had any issues with stalling in the past.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never heard from Toyota about the recall so I called the service guy I use. He looked up my VIN and said my car wasn’t affected. He said it is either because it was built in Japan (he could tell because my vin begins with JT) or because it was built later in the year and that all 2005 cars weren't affected and it says that in the letters that people did receive. Does this sound right? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
So far, ALL Prius have been built in Japan. 2005 Prius is now built in 2 different plants there.

The upcoming Chinese Prius facility is to produce Prius for the Chinese market. Prius is not currently sold in China.

VIN cutoff for the SSC 50P update is sometime in the 2005 production year, so it is possible that yours isn't affected.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There are 3 things that need be done.

ECM needs its calibration updated. There are TSBs that also had this done. Checking existing calibration ID against recall is in order.

HV ECU has its calibration updated. I don't think there were any TSBs to have this done, though there was a TSB to have the HV ECU replaced. I believe Toyota was tracking down an issue regarding MG power.
Again, calibration ID should be checked against the 50P.

Third, a connector to one of the MG position/speed sensors is to be sealed from moisture (ATF). This is probably what Toyota found to be the real issue with false MG failure reports.

So, even though you may indeed have the latest ECM update, it is less likely you have the latest HV update if you got the recall notice. There is no harm to have the connector resealed with dialectric grease.

If your dealer says your car does not apply when you have gotten the notice, have him/her show you YOUR calibration ID, and compare to the version that should be in the car with the 50P.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I bought mine on 15 Jul 2005 (June 2005 build date) and have had no issues nor have I gotten a recall notice....

Holding breath........................

·
Registered
610 Posts
:? Service writer said (in part):

"He said it is either because it was built in Japan..."

ALL Prii are built in Japan. You would think that Service Writer would know that.!

Good for a chuckle, but doesn't enhance confidence in the Dealer's training programs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ChasSuitt said:

ALL Prii are built in Japan. You would think that Service Writer would know that.!

Good for a chuckle, but doesn't enhance confidence in the Dealer's training programs.
ALL great things are made in Imperial Japan!! :p

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
GeneralTojo said:
ChasSuitt said:

ALL great things are made in Imperial Japan!! :p
General Tojo, Imperial Japan ? I thought the Allied Force aka USA hang the Once invinsible Imperial General TOJO aboard one of Her Majesty ship
what was that ship's name ? I know it was USA made War ship !

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
C.Rickey Hirose said:
General Tojo, Imperial Japan ? I thought the Allied Force aka USA hang the Once invinsible Imperial General TOJO aboard one of Her Majesty ship
what was that ship's name ? I know it was USA made War ship !
No. Imperial Japan signed an unconditional surrender to the Allies to end WWII on the battleship USS Missouri, no hanging that I know of at that ceremony. USS= "United States Ship" is designation for USA ships.

HMS = "Her/His Majesty's Ship" and is the designation for ships of Great Britain.

·
Registered
581 Posts
General Tojo was replaced by General Umezu and put on the retired list until the end of the war. Tried by the Allies after the war and convicted of responsibility for War Crimes, he was hanged in 1948.

·
Registered
15 Posts
recall

My car's ICE died once in the rain, with 4 gallons in the tank,but the dealer said that the problem was that it had run out of gas...It is nice to find out that there was a problem...and that this recall will fix it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts