Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a professional looking cover or protector that is somehow attached (glued?) to the top of the rear bumper? It's purpose would be to protect that part of the bumper when pulling things out of the trunk/hatch.

Many new cars have these from the factory just for this purpose - keep heavy suitcases from scratching or nicking the bumper.

Any ideas? I did try some searching here, but nothing relevant showed up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone tipped me to what I think is one of the best solutions. Get the black rubber like pad for the ( Toyota) Matrix. About $30 bucks at the dealer and it fits perfectly. Had ordered the Applique and didn't like it at all.

Arnie

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you do a search through previous posts in the Forum, you'll find one that references a source that sells on e-bay for a rear bumper cover that looks like the black one on the Highlander. On the one I got, it actually said for Corrolla on the back of it but the label on the package said for Prius. Mines been on for 2 months, looks and works great.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) To each his own... but...

For my money, I prefer the "clear" protector that was dealer or distributer installed on my '04. That black one looks like a generic "add on." The clear one is almost invisible, thus not altering the overall looks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I saw something just today on the back bumper of a Prius. It was two strips of rubber about an inch wide, maybe 18 inches long, applied left and right of the center on the bumper. I don't know if that's the Matrix one what you guys are referring to, but it's not what's pictured in the link from gman44. I'd be interested in getting something like that since I just got my rear bumper repainted after a small crunch I discovered happened when I got my car back from a valet lot. The paint on this part of the car seems to chip off if you look at it crosseyed.

Susan
04 Silver BC

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I've though seriously about getting a bumper protector strip, either the Prius appliqué or one of the black rubber strips, however I have not done so yet.

I've told this story before, but my car was about 4 months old when I took some teens in the youth group I work with up to a weekend retreat in my new Prius. As we were unloading the luggage, one of them decided to take care of their own luggage and drug it across the bumper, leaving a smudge and a small nick.

That week I took the car to a detailer who did a wonderful job sprucing up the car, but beyond that he also took out the smudge and minimized the appearance of the nick so much that I can barely point it out anymore.

The appliqué would have protected me from that, however I do my best to not allow others to do stupid things to my car.

The appliqué looks appropriate for the Prius, but the rubber strips look so generic and clunky. The appliqué is expensive for what you get when you buy from a dealer parts desk, but I think it is probably the best solution.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[quote="ChasSuitt]For my money, I prefer the "clear" protector that was dealer or distributer installed on my '04. That black one looks like a generic "add on." The clear one is almost invisible, thus not altering the overall looks.[/quote]

Not only that, but unlike the black one (which only covers the majority of the flat, horizontal part of the bumper), the clear plastic one goes up the sides, giving more protection.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For my money.... I like the black plastic one that’s looks like all the other TOYOTA'S on the street. I have been buying parts for my 06 Prius from METRO TOYOTA from their Web Site. Very nice and Great Service.

I have installed the Mud Flaps & Body side moldings so far and waiting on the rear bumper protector.. :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Personal aesthetics aside, the best advice would seem to be that if your Prius doesn't have a bumper cover already, the black version, although shorter, seems to be thicker and more sturdy.

It's probably cheaper and easier to install, as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.