Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are going to the dealer in our area (SE PA) tomorrow to place an order on a new Prius. We were told by our dealer (though there seems to varying opinions on this board) that Toyota told them to advise new customers to order the '05, as the liklihood of getting an '04 is slim and none. I asked the dealer if we could get on a waiting list for an '04, and making sure that we are not wait listed for an '05. My dilemma is that I have a lease that ends in September, and the '05's will probably not hit the lots until October. I found out that I can go month to month on my lease, so I will not be car-less. I'd really like to get an '04 if possible because I am worried that Toyota is going to jack up the price in '05 due to demand. Does anyone have any news on what the MSRP will be for the '05's? Will there be any new options (like a sunroof) in the '05's.

Finally, where are the Prius' manufactured? I currently have an '01 VW Jetta that was manufactured in Mexico and the thing is a hunk of junk (burns oil like you wouldn't believe)....so I was curious whether they were manufactured in Japan, or where they were made.

·
Registered
34 Posts
adamandgwen said:
we are going to the dealer in our area (SE PA) tomorrow to place an order on a new Prius. We were told by our dealer (though there seems to varying opinions on this board) that Toyota told them to advise new customers to order the '05, as the liklihood of getting an '04 is slim and none.
If you're flexible on your options and color and are willing to travel, I've heard that you can pick them up in outlying areas like Erie (I know, other side of the state ...) and Selinsgrove. The point though is that there are some cars out there ready to be sold right now on lots, so an afternoon on the phone with a list of dealers you'd be willing to travel to isn't a bad investment. But be sure you know on the phone what their asking price is before you go driving out there ... some are charging thousands over MSRP (which would explain why they're still on the lot). If you have a flexible timeframe, some dealers will put you on a waiting list where they'll call you for a "dropped" order - when someone refuses a car they're ordered and they want to move it quickly in order to get their next allotment.

adamandgwen said:
Finally, where are the Prius' manufactured? I currently have an '01 VW Jetta that was manufactured in Mexico and the thing is a hunk of junk (burns oil like you wouldn't believe)....so I was curious whether they were manufactured in Japan, or where they were made.
The current model is made in Japan. I expect that eventually they will make some or all of it in North America. But not likely for the '05 model.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Where the Prius is built

2004 model year- the Tsutsumi plant in Toyota City, Japan.
2001-2003 model year (classic)- the Motmachi plant (Japan)
1998-2000 model year (original Japanese Prius) - Takaota plant (Japan)
http://www.autotechdaily.com/pdfs/T10-03~1.PDF
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... sage/64441
http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/about_toyota/outline/

I have seen some rumors that the
Lexus RX400H or the hybrid Highlander
may be built in a US plant, so who
knows if they'll move the Prius to
another plant as well... The
current rumor for delays is that the
suppliers aren't keeping up, as
Toyota has increased shifts to up
production.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My salesman told me they couldn't put a sunroof in the Prius because of the continuous curve. The roof not only curves from front to back, but also curves from side to side with with a pair of creases. Some of the pictures at http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2004/prius/exterior.html show an indication of the creases. It's like a very flattened W shape looking at the roofline from the front.

Anyway, too many curves to put in a a sunroof that opens. And a lot of custom work matching the curves to make a fixed pane window.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I think I'd just order the '04 with a notation that you'd like to be moved to the top of the list for an '05 if the '04s are not available. As others have said, depending on your requirements looking around via internet and/or phone may yield a car much sooner than the wait lists.
--evan

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know how aggressive or creative of a shopper you are, but I truly believe that you can get a car faster than waiting for an '05 model. I was interested in seeing how long people are waiting around the U.S. ; I called a dealership in Lubbock after seeing a Silver #9 on their website; the dealer said there are 4 people in line and if I were interested I would get an '05. Fifty miles up the road in Plainview, Texas the dealer had a silver #9. The dealer told me that I could just come over and get it... Go to toyota.com and do a dealer search for your whole state. You might be pleasently surprised by a rural dealer. :)
Good luck expediting your Prius delivery.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

For everyone's advice. We ended up putting in an order for an '04 (Silver Package #9) with the caveat that if we don't get an '04 that we would be at the top of the list for an '05. The dealer didn't seem to think that would be a problem. We're not in a real hurry, I have a current lease that doesn't end until September anyway, so we probably wouldn't want to take order on an '04 until this summer anyway to minimize the amount of time we do double lease payments.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hmmmm. :wink: This '05 business is confusing. Wouldn't ordering an 05 be like shooting yourself in the foot? Suppose some 04s came in that you could have because the supply caught up to the demand and they gave them to others who had registered after you did, because your dealer thought you were waiting for an 05? Besides, much like the original Prius' they didn't change from year until 04. All Toyota did was change the model year after a certain cutoff date. What I'm trying to say is, all the 00,01,02 and 03 were the same. I'm certain the 04 Prius and the 05 will be exactly the same depending on the date it was manufactured. Hmmmm again. Whatshisname

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
04 vs. 05

Supposedly, I am on "the list", I don't believe at this point that they are keeping two separate lists for '04 vs. '05. Anyone on the list who doesn't get an '04 will be rolled onto the '05 list, keeping their place in line so to speak.

They also said that they doubt that there will be any significant changes in options since they just did all of this major revamping for the '04 model. The only thing that I didn't get a flavor for is if the MSRP is going to increase for the '05. They said that if there were any increases, they would be "minimal". It is that unknown that has me gunning for an '04 because at least I know what the price is as it stands now. In short, I don't think the dealers know what to expect for '05 yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts