Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me (and us) what your reasons were for buying a Prius, maybe adding in percentage of importance.

Here's the main reasons/issues for me (and %):

• Saving fuel--35%

• Reliance on fossil fuels, especially in the Middle East and the political implications thereof, i.e., the war in Iraq--30

• Anti-SUV status symbol--20

• Helping the environment--15

·
Registered
79 Posts
Saves money at the pump - 60

NOT an SUV - 20

Fits our needs for a car (room to haul stupp & people) - 15

Environmental friendleness - 5

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did it already...

I posted the same no long time ago.
People got Priuses because the MPG and unfearly receive tax breaks bonuses. And gets what, you are not getting what you paid for.
You are getting under 50 mpg inconsistenly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let me count the ways

1. Gas economy. Doing my part to break from foreign oil. And saving my wallet at the same time.

Last tank: 52 mpg. Current tank 54.6 mpg

2. Low emissions. While 10% isn't what I primarily bought it for I am just gloating that my car produces 90% fewer emissions than anything else on the road.

3. Solid quality. I love shutting the driver's door and hearing that solid "chunk" sound. Compared to my Saturn, the Prius makes my Saturn a bucket of bolts. The Prius transmission is smoother, the pick up is better, the ride is smoother. Even the seats are better and my Saturn had leather.

4. Hatchback. I love having a hatchback again. My first two cars were hatchbacks, although the Nissan was designed stupid. The trunk of the Saturn never held that much even with the seats folded down. Now I've got four doors and can use the back seat, or I can use the cargo area or I can use both. The Cheesy plastic I can live with. I've already bought leather covers for the glove box, driver's dash and all of the armrests and console cover. I can certainly live with the interior for all of the other benefits this car has.

My next car will be a Prius. It will have a gray interior next time around. And depending on improvements I may not wait 10 years, which is my normal car buying cycle. I may buy early. Just as long as it's still a hatchback I'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Re: I did it already...

Rmarchena said:
I posted the same no long time ago.
People got Priuses because the MPG and unfearly receive tax breaks bonuses. And gets what, you are not getting what you paid for.
You are getting under 50 mpg inconsistenly.
So I'm guessing you got an "unfearly" tax break too eh? and you also got "ripped off" too I suppose?

Well, I got it for the cool features, super low emissions, superb gas mileage and versatility.

·
Registered
58 Posts
#1 gas mileage -- 6K mile average = 52 mpg, last tank with mixed driving got 54.4 mpg. Worst tank I had was 48 mpg (lot of messing around)

#2 the interesting technology - a great toy - damn, its fun!

#3 Toyota reputation for reliability and the good warranty -- no problems so far.

Traded an Explorer with 150K miles for it. Liked the Explorer but this is more fun.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Great commuter MPG but still room for my family - 50%
Low emissions - 25%
Low stress means engine and drivetrain should last approx. forever - 15%
Best automatic transmission available (only one that doesn't drive me crazy) - 10%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts