Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to make the responsible jump to a Prius. Every dealer in the Atlanta area has given me the same story about how popular they are and how hard they are to get. Before I get taken for a ride, I'd really like to hear from people that have been through this. Is there any room to negotiate?

How much have people paid?

Thanks,

·
Registered
19 Posts
No room to negotiate in Atlanta

I got mine about 3 weeks ago. If I didn't take it at the price Atlanta Toyota was offering they could easily sell it to the next guy.

I did manage to get the $500 underbody prep and window etching left off.

Atlanta Toyota dealt reasonably, but they knew nothing about the car. They never have them on the lot long enough to learn anything about them.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I can only say that Toyota did a lot of research on how much the car was worth before setting MSRP. Because of production limits they are the reason for the scarcity of the car but don't let desire dictate paying any more than list. The car isn't worth more and some people where they aren't so scarce are paying below list. Anyone who kicks the price up with "add-ons" and is insisting that you pay for them are not dealers you would want to be bringing your car back for service. If you have definately decided you want a Prius I would suggest getting on several lists in the area and waiting your turn. You can usually get two to three week delivery anywhere if you are willing to accept any color and any package. They are all "neat," but none worth over list.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Expect to pay MSRP, but walk away if the dealer tries to get a premium or tacks on "dealer options" you don't want. You may also want to look at other dealers away from the Atlanta area. You can always get the car serviced at your closest dealer. You don't have to go back to where you bought the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,
I've been looking in Chicago for a few weeks. I had a chance to get a Salsa #6 @ MSRP last week that was available, but passed.

I've been watching that online auction site closely for weeks. I've bid on several cars, but I was unwilling to go higher than $25.5 K on a #6 equipped car, so I never won an auction.

There is a silver #6 in Kentucky that the seller says is reserved at MSRP.

Another #6 this time in white ended this morning and the buy it now was right at Chicago's MSRP also.

So they are out there. All these sellers are Toyota Dealers with great feedback ratings. I would have no problem buying a car from any of them. (disclaimer: I have no association with any dealer, anywhere!)

Cheers,
Wes,
still looking...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in South West Florida, took me a while to find the right dealer. Some where able to get me the car faster but wanted any where from $2000 - $5000 above the MSRP. I did find one dealer that did not charge above the MSRP. Took a bit more time to get the car but I am glad I waited.

-dex

·
Registered
15 Posts
My experience with the dealer has been very good. I actually had an opportunity to buy a white Prius with pkg 6 off the lot in February. The prospective buyer had decided not to purchase it (financing issues). I procrastinated and of course it was snapped up the next day. I finally got on the list and got the car I wanted in late May (silver with pkg 5). I paid list price and the salesmen gave me no hassle when I told him I did not want the Toyoguard. I used the $700 to get more practical accessories (window tinting, bumper guard and floor/trunk mats). :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
"Is there any room to negotiate?"

There's ALWAYS room to negotiate on a car deal.

I've bought two since May, both less than MSRP, though I believe MSRP is still reasonable.

Just say no to all the extra dealer fluff.

With the increased production now, anyone paying more than MSRP is either very impatient or very wealthy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got mine and my wife's in Feb. We paid MSRP. The dealer did try to charge us $3k over MSRP so I said laters and he quickly reconsidered. We had to wait about 5 days to pick up the 2nd one (1st one was on the lot).

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Go to http://www.toyota.com/prius
Fill in your ZIP code in the "Build and Price Your Prius" box on the left.
figure out what you want for options and accessories in your region. The site will show you the MSRP of your configuration.
use the contact dealers link if you wish...
do not pay more than the MSRP as listed there.

some dealers will discount MSRP. some will throw in free oil changes or some other accessory... Just don't get any "upgrades" or accessories or warranties or coatings that you don't want/need.

Meanwhile, you may want to check out the (rather quiet) local groups:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta-prius/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/georgia-prius/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/floridaprius/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update -

I am the proud owner of a brand new Prius (white, package #3). I shopped around the Atlanta area and the best deal I could find was at $1500 OVER MSRP!!! Not exactly the deal I was looking for.

On a roadtrip to Kentucky, I stumbled across a Toyota dealership that just happened to have two of the same sitting on the lot. I talked with the the owner and he sold the Prius to me for under MSRP.

I got the car that I wanted for much less than the folks down here in Atlanta were willing to sell it for.

Win-Win!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Picked mine up today

I woke up this morning with no intention of buying a car today. I had stopped by a brand new dealership (Victory Toyota, Plymouth MI) two days ago to ask about the Prius. When I got home from work there was a message on my machine. "Four Prii unspoken for arrived today". Four hours later I'm the proud owner of a Salsa Red Package #4. The dealer charged a 2K premium but it was exactly the car I wanted, they did not pressure me for options I didn't want, they gave me a great deal on my trade in and I had zero waiting time. I respect the decision to hold out for the best deal but...I am weak and she is beautiful.

P.S. They still had three when I left.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It's possible he made up for it in the trade.

Overtork, don't feel bad. I was weak too, and got suckered for almost 4K over MSRP. Actually, I was mislead, but I did notice something didn't seem right, but didn't act on it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I got MSRP but believe I was taken on trade. It all works out to the dealer's satisfaction anyway. They make their money. Glad you're excited about your car and aren't wasting time on regrets.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my new Prius after waiting only 10 days - they actually had the package I wanted with my second color choice on the lot, but I decided to wait for my first color choice that was coming in on the truck in less than 2 weeks. I had to go 400 miles away from my home to get the car (I flew and the dealer picked me up) but I got the car for $1000 under MSRP. Very happy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts