Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a Yahoo newstory, gay, lesbians, and bisexual people are more likely to consider purchasing hybrids like the Prius. A Harris Interactive survey indicated that "with over $600 billion in buying power, US gay and lesbian consumers are becoming an important target for US vehicle manufacturers." According to Harris Interactive Automotive and Transportation Research Practice study, "gay and lesbian consumers (51%) are significantly more interested in hybrid electric vehicles than their non-gay counterparts (34%)."

The Auto GLBT study was conducted online in the US by Harris Interactive between July 21 and August 1, 2005 among 2,818 self identified gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender adults and 2,121 heterosexual adults.

Care to respond to the conclusions of this "study"?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
This would make me think that as a group, the GLBT are more educated and aware in issues of environment, sustainability, and the use of fossil fuels insofar as its limited life (peak oil) and its impact on middle east policy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I'm one of "those" people :wink:

It is also favored by non-religious liberal Jews?
Although myself not Jewish, I attended an event last month hosted by secular jewish group - In a small parking lot that had about 70 cars, I found 10 Prius including mine. :shock:

·
Registered
610 Posts
:shock: A "STUDY" or "POLL" can be found somewhere to support virtually ANY point of view. I just disregard all of them. Classification of people by any category ignores the fact that each of us is a unique individual there being only one of each of us.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
:shock: A "STUDY" or "POLL" can be found somewhere to support virtually ANY point of view. I just disregard all of them. Classification of people by any category ignores the fact that each of us is a unique individual there being only one of each of us.
We'll have to see what my clone thinks of this.

Hep Hep

·
Registered
26 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
I'm with you on this subject. You said it very well. Thank you.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Typically gays and lesbians are rebellous (sp?) cause of their lifestyle choice - only makes sense they would choose a vehicle that is a statement maker and contradictory to the norm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
?????

For one, ken lacy, it's not a "lifestyle choice."

for another, could you explain why an ignorant suburban-driving, non-prius owner has posted 150 times over a year to a prius board, mostly debating?

I bought a prius a year ago and this site was immensely helpful. so why are you here?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: ?????

jcal said:

for another, could you explain why an ignorant suburban-driving, non-prius owner has posted 150 times over a year to a prius board, mostly debating?

I bought a prius a year ago and this site was immensely helpful. so why are you here?
Very informative post - keep up the good work!

I see you have been contributing a lot, I am sure you will continue to do so.

And if they are "forced", I am suprised there aren't a lot more lawsuits! It was him, yeah him, he forced me to be gay!

·
Registered
4 Posts
poll

yeah, it's funny. I haven't been here so long that I'd forgotten my login info. I wanted to check to see how long people were waiting on stickers and I see the ken lacy poll again. haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts

kenlacy said:
jcal said:

Very informative post - keep up the good work!

I see you have been contributing a lot, I am sure you will continue to do so.

And if they are "forced", I am suprised there aren't a lot more lawsuits! It was him, yeah him, he forced me to be gay!
Who said anything about "forced?" I said you don't make the choice. You are or you aren't.

You never answered my question. Why are you here?
I had to re-register because I forgot all my login info.
People come here to talk about, learn about, and share info on the prius. What do you bring?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Prius and Gays and Lebians

ChasSuitt said:
This statement is an classic example of the "post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy" (the "after this...therefore because this") fallacy. The second sentence is an assertion of a moral belief. :?

·
Registered
188 Posts

jcal said:
Who said anything about "forced?" I said you don't make the choice. You are or you aren't.

You never answered my question. Why are you here?
I had to re-register because I forgot all my login info.
People come here to talk about, learn about, and share info on the prius. What do you bring?
Your opinion says you are or you aren't. Mine says you choose too or not chose too. Most people have tendencies, whether it is homosexual, deviant or whatnot, they just choose not to act on them. Not really the place for this discussion.

Why am I here, maybe just to make you think and give you something to do, maybe because someone else here thought it was interesting to see a post with my name in it come up and they alerted me.

There is interesting info here and interesting discussions at times.

As for what I bring - maybe nothing, maybe something, I guess that just depends on the thread I join in on or create.

Keep up with the tough questions - they are refreshingly challenging :)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

kenlacy said:
Your opinion says you are or you aren't. Mine says you choose too or not chose too. Most people have tendencies, whether it is homosexual, deviant or whatnot, they just choose not to act on them. Not really the place for this discussion.
So, by that logic there is only 1 "right way"/"normal way" to be--I guess you've decided that is heterosexual (amazing you've been granted the power of such decisions). And that everyone is actually heterosexual at heart, but a few have these "tendencies" (isn't that a convenient word for your arguement?)--sorta like mistakes in character I guess. And, if you're tough enough to resist those they can be just like you and be a "normal" heterosexual, but if they're are weak, or inferior or 'deviant' they give in to this 'dark calling' and act out their homosexual ways.

And this makes sense to you?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't understand why the hubbub about chosen/innate. Your race and gender are innate -- and you're protected and considered equal under the law for them. Your religion and creed are chosen -- and you're protected and considered equal under the law for them. Everyone just go to bed already, you could all use a nap.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow. Look at me. Someone who thinks homosexuality is not only just "how" you are BUT can also simply be a "choice" for some. Amazing concept. I have a gay guy friend who has been that 'way' since our youth days and I also have recently made a lesbian friend who just likes the lifestyle better so she has embraced it as her own.

This post also warrants a new line of T-Shits that says "I'm not gay, but my Prius is."

Now, what about that nap?

Don't mind if I d...zzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Some have a tendency to drink alcohol to excess. Some have a tendency to abuse drugs. Does this mean we have to consider these behaviors normal? I want my right to drink at work!

Biologically, it is obvious that homosexual behavior is deviant. Should we beat up, spit on, or shout at the person exercising such behavior? No we shouldn't, any more than anyone else who exhibits unhealthy behavior. And yes, statistics DO show such behavior unhealthy both physically and societally.

Now for the arguement that it is genetic. Find a legit study that proves that. Even if it were true, then evolution is not true, as homosexualty by its very nature cannot propogate itself, since a homosexual couple cannot reproduce. And if it is a genetic flaws, then it should occur no more than any other genetic flaw, like sicle cell anemia. But again, if the genetic tendency is practiced truthfully, it will die with that couple.

No, it is a choice. It may have been learned or influenced by your environment, but it is still a choice, and these days it has become a fashion, thus perpetuating the choice.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts