Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trolling for awhile here, but decided to reveal myself to get a straight answer on this.

I have been driving a 93 toyota p/u, 4WD for the last several years. I live at 8000 feet in COlorado and drive about 30 miles one way a day to go to work. My p/u gets, if I am lucky, 20 mpg. I really want an 06 prius w/ VSC, but I am hesitant b/c it's not AWD or 4WD, and it snows all the time here.

My p/u does OK in the snow, but it's squirelly when not in 4WD. I have not had a 2WD since I moved here. I fear running a new prius into the ditch or getting stuck in deep snow. Does anyone here simliarly situated and have any experience with the prius in the snow?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Why not look at the Toyota Highlander hybrid? It has AWD and will get better mileage than your pickup, but not as good as the Prius.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Highlander is too rich for my blood. ALthough i haven't had a 2WD in a while, I have been passed by them when my p/u ended up in the ditch (some would say this was due to operator error). I am just wondering if the prius will do as good or better than most front wheel drive vehiccles with the VSC

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
hyperion said:
If you wouldn't consider a Camry or Honda Accord because of the conditions, don't even think of a Prius. The Highlander would be good for 30 mpg but at a cost close to forty thousand dollars. Check out a Suburu if you want a new car, if you want AWD, and economy also.
Hyperion, not even close to $40k, I have one at $36.313 with:
1Running Board, 2Exhaust Tip, 3Tow Hitch,and 4Floor mats. If you take all (4)Options out will cost $34.995 Destination included but excluding the Tax
and fees that ever differs by States. This is a 4wd i ( Intelligence )
So for a deep snow region residents a $35K 4wd i HH will do the job !
How about a Prius and a 4wd i HH for playing in the snow.... Some family can afford 2 hybrids, that is Toyota Hybrids ! The ones with the HSD .......

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
CR just put out a report on SUVs. The HiHi was rated at the top. Both Lexus RX's were 2nd/third, and the non Hybrid Highlander was fourth. I might be off in the standings by one or two vehicles, but they did stand out. H3 was dead last.

This issue of CR also rated tires. Goodyear Assurance Tripletred (or something like that, don't kill me if I got it wrong) rated best overall. It was best for noise, great for wet traction, but not supurb for snow/ice.

But this topic is on the Prius. Most have reported excellent stability in the snow, as long as the trac didn't kick in. If you have good tires for the weather, it shouldn't. It is hardly possible to do donuts with VSC. Some have tried in an empty icy parking lot.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I havent had any problems with my Prius in snow. The front wheel drive along with the Prius heavy weight in the front seems to make things better in snow.

I forget what its is called but there is also some sort of control with the braking if you skid, and also control if you take off too fast. Transfers the power to the other wheel. (from what I have heard and experienced)

I have always found small front wheel drive vehicles work better for snow, sand (beach type) areas than trucks or SUV's.

I use to drive a front wheel drive Police Vehicle before they retired it. I then was given a new Ford Crown Victoria, (rear wheel drive). I missed the old car when it came to the snow and ice. So... Other then an M1A1 Tank for traction, this is my experience.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
"I forget what its is called but there is also some sort of control with the braking if you skid, and also control if you take off too fast. Transfers the power to the other wheel. (from what I have heard and experienced) "

That statement is a tad misleading. VSC (Vehicle Stability Control, called different things in other cars) will prevent you from fishtailing. Basically it makes sure the car doesn't make turns any more or less than you told it to. It mostly accomplishes this by applying brakes appropriately and individually to the wheels.
Traction control applies brakes to the spinning wheel or wheels, as well as backing off the acceleration, when cruise or acceleration traction is lost. It is the latter that becomes problematic with the Prius as it backs off the accelerator a bit too far sometimes.

But the statement is misleading because it uses braking to prevent spinning, or to 'corrective steer' the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts