Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had that dream where you are running down a hallway with something sinister chasing you... and the faster you run the closer it gets, and the hallway keeps growing longer and longer and longer still?

That's what being on this damn waiting list is like!

Since I've never driven or ridden in a Prius, Classic or otherwise, I'd like to hear a little about your driving experiences.

1.) In a traditional car the throttle controls the gas, so once you start cruising at a desired speed any changes in the road pitch causes the vehicle to speed up or slow down, unless you change the pedal position. Does the Prius react this way? Or is the throttle in the Prius more like an interactive cruise control where the pedal sensor detects your desired speed and the power split device manages the differing power requirements to maintain speed over varying road pitch?

2.) When you let off the gas, the computer configures MG1 as a generator to recharge the battery, creating the sensation of engine breaking. Engine breaking in a trditional vehicle is non-linear. It's much more pronounced at high speed and barely perceptable under 30mph (unless you manually downshift). Does the Prius simulate this non-linearity? Or is there a continuous drag all the way down?

3.) Likewise, during moderate breaking MG2 is configured as a generator and really puts a drag on the car. What if the battery is already full... does the car go straight to hydrolic?

4.) Back to MG1, what happens if the battery is fully charged... does the car coast forever due to the low Cd?

Here's a chance for everyone to really talk about their cars! :shock:

What's this thing like to drive?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have about 4K on my car. The difference in driving from my wife's Camry is VERY subtle! It does seem to coast more freely when you lift your foot from the accelerator, but that took only a week to get used to. I was expecting the drive by wire to feel much different, and it just doesn't. I've had rental cars that drove more differently from the Camry than the Prius.
I do now have the darndest time putting the Camry in gear and setting the parking break. Everthing in her car is in the wrong place!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Long wait

In regards to hills, flat terrain etc. the gas pedal and speed of the car works the same on the Prius as it does on any car, slow down going up a hill and speed up going down a hill. The cruise control also works the same as it does on any other car. Turn it on, hit the button and it will lock the speed no matter what the terrain. You want to speed up or down one mph, click it up or down one click. Two mph, two clicks up or down etc. etc. It's GREAT!

Battery charge while coasting: In my experience...whether the battery is fully charged or not, I don't notice ANY drag varience. To me, it feels like any other car with an automatic transmission. My neighbor has the Honda Civic Hybrid, 2002 or 2003. He says when he lets off the gas he gets a VERY noticeable drag.

What's it like to drive?? It's Fantastic.

Quiet, smoothe, comfortable and more gadgets than James Bond's Astin Martin. Fast too. It's truly a remarkable vehicle.

Check with your local Toyota Dealers (if you haven't already). I rented one for a week prior to ordering mine.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Put on a blindfield (silly) and there is hardly any noticeable difference between my Prius and 2002 Buick Le Sabre. I can say the same thing between the Buick and the Camry the dealer let me drive to see what the Prius would be like. They have never had one for a demonstrator. Turn off the LCD screen and it's a normal car. I really miss the temp and pressure guages. REALLY. Thats the one place where the Buick "shines"

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hyperion

hyperion said:
Put on a blindfield (silly) and there is hardly any noticeable difference between my Prius and 2002 Buick Le Sabre. I can say the same thing between the Buick and the Camry the dealer let me drive to see what the Prius would be like. They have never had one for a demonstrator. Turn off the LCD screen and it's a normal car. I really miss the temp and pressure guages. REALLY. Thats the one place where the Buick "shines"
You don't need no guages, the computer's got you by the short hairs anyway!

:p

·
Registered
133 Posts
What?

The dealer told you the only difference between a 2002 Buick and a 2004 Prius is the LCD screen?

I've got a bridge for sale if you're interested.

·
Registered
928 Posts
1) already answered

2) Actually, MG2 is used as a generator to simulate throttle closed engine braking. The effect is less than a real engine, but like a real engine, is more pronounced at higher speeds. The effect is noticeable all the way down to 7 MPH where the other automatic transmission effect (engine creep) is simulated by MG2.

3) It's a very rare situation where the battery is "full" when you decide to brake, but if so, the electricity generated by MG2 is used by MG1 to spin the unfueled engine, safely dissipating the energy of braking.

4) See three, MG1 spins the unfueled engine. It's MG2 that simulates engine braking.

·
Registered
397 Posts
At first everything about the Prius seemed different to me; it looked different, sounded different and felt, well, different--not in a bad way, but it was noticable. However, once I got used to the rather unusual driver interface, the sounds that it makes (or doesn't make) are the only things in my mind that really separate the Prius from "normal" vehicles. It purrs when you turn it off and beeps when you back up and seems to spin like a top when you are accelerating hard, but all in all it is a remarkably quiet car. So quiet and smooth riding, in fact, that I can't stand driving ordinary cars anymore--they're so rough and noisy!
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PIKACHU wins!

Actually, this wasn't a contest. Thanks to all that contributed to my need for a fix on the driving experience of the untouchable.

Snyder, you nailed it. You gave me the missing link in my mind. The computer says "I must simulate engine drag, but the battery is full... I know, I'll suck juice out of MG2 so this poor Detroit conditioned fool feels he's in a normal car and shove that juice into MG1 to spin an ICE that isn't running so I can dissapate energy in a way acceptable to the human."

Damn thing is smarter than I am!

<tick> <tock> <tick> <tock> where's my dang car! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awesome car

I love the prisus although it sometimes is a little slow when needing to rapidly accelerate. I did easily get it up to 90mph without even meaning too. Its fun to drive has an awesome turning radius and its just all around an awesome car!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts