Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I ordered a Blue - package 6 about six weeks ago and have read through this forum some. It looks like it is quite useful. The dealer called me today and said I should have my car in two to three weeks, so I decided it is time to top lurking and register. I live in the Seattle area and am buying through a large local dealership which I felt had a good rep.

The salesman who called mentioned that the vehicle would have an MSRP of $27131. That seemed high to me at the moment; he said that it came with various accessories......that all the package 6 vehicles were coming to him with these accessories... carpets, glass sensor, wheel locks, maybe other. I have no experience with Toyota. But, in my experience these accessories are always dealer add-ons. A quick look at the toyota web site shows an MSRP of 20975+5065 = 26040 for package 6. Perhaps delivery to Seattle adds more. But, I'd sure like to know the skinny on this extra 1100 bucks. I don't want to make a fuss with the Sales Manager and start off on the wrong foot. On the other hand, 1100 bucks ain't chicken liver. Thanks for whatever insights you can offer.

I am looking forward to this car. Everyone on this forum seems helpful and really seems to love their Prius.

Bill MORGAN

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Personally, I would tell the sales person to remove the "accessories" that you didn't order and agree to pay only for the package you ordered.

When my 04 came in, it had a couple of "extras" also. I told the dealer he could keep them as I didn't order them, or he could order me a car with only what I wanted.

Bottom line is I got the car with the extras, but did not have to pay for them. I paid what I agreed to pay when I ordered the car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
my sticker for a package 6 with everything......
came to $26,742 (this included the Z1 package that has the carpeted mats...cargo net and 1st aid kit!)

(but hep knows what I really paid :wink: )

ps...i'd post a pic of the sticker but I don't have anything to black out the VIN # of the pic!

·
Registered
236 Posts
firepa63 said:
Personally, I would tell the sales person to remove the "accessories" that you didn't order and agree to pay only for the package you ordered.

When my 04 came in, it had a couple of "extras" also. I told the dealer he could keep them as I didn't order them, or he could order me a car with only what I wanted.

Bottom line is I got the car with the extras, but did not have to pay for them. I paid what I agreed to pay when I ordered the car.

I agree.

I would let the dealer know that you did some looking around and that the car you ordered wasn't with these "extras" and let them know you aren't really wanting the extras at the extras price. They would remove them or find you the car that you did ask for.

If you're not a jerk about it, I'm sure they would understand. They better, anyway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bargaining point.

The glass sensor, wheel locks and carpets are all dealer add ons. The car doesn't "come" with them like the package.

Tell him to take them off or throw them in for free but you're not paying for them. Personally, I like the carpet mats but they're expensive. I also bought my own "Exact Mats" to put on top of them for protection.

I saw no point in the glass sensor, wheel locks or some of that other stuff. I do like the cargo nets but think I'll use the horizontal one (available elsewhere) more than the vertical one (Toyota). I like the cargo tote but someone mentioned Target has something similar for a lot less money.

Whatever you do don't buy the dealer's extended warranty. If you want one read around here and contact some of the dealers. You can buy a warranty from any dealer and you'll probably save money using the resources here and at priuschat.com than buying it from the dealer. Especially if he's telling you you have to buy all of the added stuff you mention.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's up to you, but I would ask the dealer to either remove the options you are not interested in or find you another car. I had the same problem in that the dealership tried to force a rear bumper aplique on me for about $80 if I recall correctly. I did not want it and waited an extra 3 weeks for one w/o it. No big deal for me.
Since then I have added Toyota mud flaps, color-keyed side body moulding, lightly tinted windows with a windshield tint strip, Toyota all-season rubber floormats, XM radio that integrates with factory unit for factory clean appearance with the antenna painted to match the car, clear-bra to protect the front end from rocks, etc., heated seats, two-tone leather interior with perforated leather in the center of the seats and a black rear bumper pad that actually protects the top of the bumper. I also removed the wheel trim rings. My favorite mods are the XM radio and leather interior.
I love the car, take good care of it and put about 100 miles per day on it, averaging 48 MPG.
If I could figure out how to post pictured easily, I would post a bunch of the car...... sorry computer challenged.
Good luck with your car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
To post pics......you need to upload your pics to a picture server...like...
http://www.photobucket.com it's free!
Then, when you post here simply have 2 internet windows open 1= priusonline 2= photobucket.com..

rightclick/properties on the photo you'd like to display......then copy the location or the address.....paste that info into your priusonline reply.....highlight the text you just pasted and then choose teh "img" button (second to last button on the reply box)
should look something like this....
pictures address[IMG]

Here's and example....

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v150/bshef/bbSjanwig.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I called the salesman back and asked for a detailed breakout of his MSRP. About 1/2 of the delta was the $540 delivery and destination charge. Seems excessive to me. Is that pretty much standard? I told him I would accept the Carpet (package), but to take the rest off. He said that the car was built that way and he wouldn't/couldn't do it. I said I didn't want them and will wait for the car I ordered. He implied I was making a big deal over $289 (options over the carpet cost), but when I suggested I'd take the car if he ate the $289, suddenly $289 was a lot of money. I'm ordering a fairly expensive car with quite a lot of profit built in. This guy is not endearing to me. If I get one of those satisfaction surveys like I got when I bought my wife's Infiniti, I'm not inclined to rate the experience as wonderful.

So, back on the queue I go.... waiting for my Prius. Luckily, I don't mind waiting.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The port does charge a delivery charge to the dealer, though $540 may not be the full price the dealer pays. Some dealers will eat it, many won't. May not be any more negotiable than MSRP for the car itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cairo94507 said:
.......Since then I have added .........heated seats, two-tone leather interior with perforated leather in the center of the seats and .....

Were the leather seats available through Toyota or after-market? I expect delivery of my Prius in 3 weeks and this would be my first upgrade, especially if it were possible to also lower the seat by 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I'm tall and my head barely clears the overhead. Any ideas on where to locate suitable seats? Can the factory seat be modified to drop it a bit?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts