Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Prius had it's first problem today. After about two minutes from starting the car and leaving my driveway the red triangle and check engine light came on, and the word PROBLEM was displayed on the MFD. The gas engine would not start and the battery level was at two red bars. I drove about 1/2 mile on elcectric power to a palce where I could safely park. Shut the car off and turned back on six times, red triangle went away and gas engine started and battery began to charge. The car ran fine the rest of the day.

The car was built October 2003, I have just over 50,000 miles on it. I have had all the TSB and recall notices performed.

For Prius owner's that have had this problem, what was the fix?

Do you think Toyota will pay for or should pay for any repairs the car needs to take care of this problem? Since this is a problem reported by many people.

I will be taking it in for 50,000 mile service this week.

·
Registered
928 Posts
At 50K miles, you're still under both the power train and hybrid system warrantees, so unless you've "done something", I would think you're covered.

So take it to your Toyota service center (pick one you trust or ask people in your area) and have them evaluate it for you and determine warranty applicability.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Was the battery that low when you parked it previously? Is it possible that it didn't shut down properly when you turned it off?

Also, what symptoms does the car display if the 12-volt battery dies on you?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"Also, what symptoms does the car display if the 12-volt battery dies on you?"

I would guess it would feign death or hibernation. ;-)

No power to lamps, relays... you might get an LED or two to light with very low current from a dead battery.

·
Registered
669 Posts
hyperion said:
If the 12 volt battery "dies" on you I expect you would have the same indication you would get on a disconnect, or removal.
But with a "normal" car, when the battery goes south or just plain gets discharged, I've found the first thing I notice is that the car won't start. The lights and even the headlights may come on, albeit at reduced brightness. So I wondered if, with the Prius, you might notice something prior to losing display.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just talked with dealer, they said there might be a TSB just for this problem and there will be no charge for checking it out and performing tSB.

It took six times for the word PROBLEM and red triangle to go away. Check engine light did not go away unitil this morning. After the third start the gas engine came back on, but I was afraid to drive it so I kept pushing the power button until the red triangle went away.

Another 150 miles today and car is still running fine, no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts