Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mother of all Question Threads

Hi, I'm planning on buying a new Prius, but I want to make sure it can be as cool as it can be and I don't make any poor purchasing decisions. I had a lot of questions and I've done a lot of google research, but there are still some big question marks that need experts on the subject to solve. But you guys will have to do Answer as many as you can, any and all help is appreciated.

1. Can you purchase a Toyota Prius in Hawaii with the GPS navigation mod? - I have asked every dealer on the island and they say that it just isn't supported, and that they can sell me a Prius with "Package 6" however the bluetooth/GPS mod will not be available.
2. Is it possible to purchase a Toyota on the Mainland, and have it shipped to Hawaii for a reasonable cost/delay with the options I want? - I've heard that there are some dealers that will ship cars for a fee, but I've also heard that there can be lots of hangups and headaches associated with licensing/insuring/etc. Has anyone had any luck with this process?
3. What is the Part Number and who is the manufacturer for the LCD/TouchScreen in the Prius? - I'm an electrical engineer and I'd like to hook a VGA and/or USB control adapter to the Prius, for use with a Keyboard Video Mouse switcher and a computer (Mac Mini). However I'd need to see schematics to determine what sort of technology is used and whether or not it is even possible.
4. Does the ViewTech product, or ViasTech Composite Video adapter product work with a prius that doesn't have the fancy (GPS/Bluetooth) options package? - This would be a major let down for me if I relent and buy an optionless Prius
5. Does anyone know the exact specifications for the in dash LCD? (What Resolution, what mode it runs in composite or VGA) and it's dimentions? - I know I ask some tough questions, but I assure you the information will not be wasted

Please help put my mind at ease, I'm sure you were all nervous expecting prius owners to be at one point and I want my experience to be one of radical bliss. BTW, here is a image from the brochure that I was given in Hawaii about the new prius' available option packages. I was told by all the dealers on the island that Option Pack #6 is available but doesn't include the GPS/Bluetooth option.

[/img]

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
From what I've seen in posts, you are correct, NAV is not available in Hawaii. You could probably "import" a continental US version, but I don't believe the NAV DVD has any Hawaii data, which is why it is not available in Hawaii.

Supposedly the Viewtech will work with a non-NAV car. Dave hasn't shipped any units yet, though it has been promised for 8 MONTHS now. You may want to contact him through http://www.coastaletech.com. He's friendly enough, if you can get ahold of him.

There was a thread on PriusChat where some guys did retrofit modules and circuits to tap into the NAV video input for a backup camera. I don't know if the non-nav MFD has video input, but it is quite probable, since supposedly Dave managed to do it.

The input is RGBS. Resolution is roughly 800x480 interlaced or 400x238, depending how you look at it, at 60Hz refresh.

Here's a good thread to look at: http://www.priuschat.com/forums/next-vt2281.html

·
Registered
466 Posts
Orion said:
5. Does anyone know the exact specifications for the in dash LCD? (What Resolution, what mode it runs in composite or VGA) and it's dimentions? - I know I ask some tough questions, but I assure you the information will not be wasted
Following data is came from Toyota Tech Manual published in Japan.

manufacturer: Fujitsu Ten Co., LTD http://www.fujitsu-ten.co.jp/
type: TFT LCD
resolution: 400x234
display size: 154.1mm x 87.5mm
pixel size: 0.107mm x 0.374mm
input signal: RGB+Sync, 400x234

I never heard the 800x480 interlaced ones.

[email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ken1784 said:
Orion said:
Following data is came from Toyota Tech Manual published in Japan.

manufacturer: Fujitsu Ten Co., LTD http://www.fujitsu-ten.co.jp/
type: TFT LCD
resolution: 400x234
display size: 154.1mm x 87.5mm
pixel size: 0.107mm x 0.374mm
input signal: RGB+Sync, 400x234

I never heard the 800x480 interlaced ones.

[email protected]
Good info Ken, thanks! However I was looking at that site and I wasn't able to find the TFT product anywhere, maybe it isn't available on the english side of the house, and as I don't read Japanese I wasn't able to plow through the Japanese part of the site. Do you have a link to the actual page?

Also, I didn't notice anywhere anything mentioning the touchscreen. Is that a seperate unit? What sort of a connection does it use? Do you have the tech documents for these products? Thanks again!

Kevin Lohman

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The US mainland 2004-? Prius does not have Hawaii as a covered region. Since it's the same navigation system as on the 2004 Land Rover and Highlander (since those were the same units hit with the TSB EL002-05 as the 2004 Prius for an inoperable display).

I'll note that for the 2001 model year, Hawaii could get the navigation system, but the mainland could not. A few brave souls did get wrecked 2001 Hawaiian Prius, took out the GPS parts, and retrofitted it to their US mainland Prius to add factory navigation to their Classic Prius. Since the US mainland 2001-2003 navigation manuals do not show Hawaii as an available location, I'm *guessing* that either the Hawaiian disc works in the mainland, or that they had to get a mainland disc...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Orion said:
Good info Ken, thanks! However I was looking at that site and I wasn't able to find the TFT product anywhere, maybe it isn't available on the english side of the house, and as I don't read Japanese I wasn't able to plow through the Japanese part of the site. Do you have a link to the actual page?
The site is for their consumer products only. There is no information about the OEM products.
Also, I didn't notice anywhere anything mentioning the touchscreen. Is that a seperate unit? What sort of a connection does it use? Do you have the tech documents for these products?
No tech information is available on the Toyota manual.
The LCD display and the touch panel are connected to the Display Computer with their proprietary interface. It is almost impossible to hack them, I think.

I always think I would have two displays, one for Navi and the other for consumption/energy monitor.

Why don't you install an aftermarket Navi?
There are a lot of state of art Navi in the market, such as with HDD. Maybe, you can connect your Mac Mini easily.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I am sure the signal is interlaced, a NTSC uses interlace. What that means is, that alternate lines are used during a frame, thus effectively doubling the apparent resolution. So for the 1st 60th of a second, scan lines 1, 3, 5, etc are used, the 2nd 60th of a second 2, 4 ,6, 8 etc are used.
The screen approximates 640x480, but has an extra wide aspect ratio, making it 800x480.

·
Registered
466 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I am sure the signal is interlaced, a NTSC uses interlace.
Orion is not asking NTSC interface.

Please take a look your display. You'll find it is not so high-resolution.
There is no doubt about 400x234.

Maybe, someone told you wrong info.
Fujitsu Ten is now supplying their latest navigation systems with 800x480 LCD.
http://www.fujitsu-ten.co.jp/eclipse/na ... pec_f.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ken1784 said:
I always think I would have two displays, one for Navi and the other for consumption/energy monitor.

Why don't you install an aftermarket Navi?
There are a lot of state of art Navi in the market, such as with HDD. Maybe, you can connect your Mac Mini easily.
Mostly because I want an elegant, fully integrated sleeper solution, and I don't mind working for it :)

I just put in my order (today) for a 2k5, with no options. Here's my plan/mission: I'll hook into the built in LCD display with a composite video splitter or using the RGB adapter, and attach the switch to one of the built in interface buttons, so that when I press the button it will switch inputs from the built in computer, to my secondary source (Mac Mini).

I'd like to use the CAN interface, reverse engineer the codes that go across it for the touch interface and bring that into the mac using the same switch and USB.

I'd like to put wifi and bluetooth on the mini, as well as a GPS unit (USB) with all that hooked in and access to the Hybrid's "Brain" via the CAN network, hopefully I can do some really neat stuff.

Any thoughts? [/list]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DanMan32 said:
I am sure the signal is interlaced, a NTSC uses interlace. What that means is, that alternate lines are used during a frame, thus effectively doubling the apparent resolution. So for the 1st 60th of a second, scan lines 1, 3, 5, etc are used, the 2nd 60th of a second 2, 4 ,6, 8 etc are used.
The screen approximates 640x480, but has an extra wide aspect ratio, making it 800x480.
Thanks Dan, I know what you are talking about and it makes sense. But to be fair an interlaced screen is hard to read and generally doesn't have the same quality as a non-interlaced display at that resolution. Text is harder to read, etc. No biggie though, I'm sure I'll be able to work with it.

Kevin

·
Registered
466 Posts
Orion said:
Any thoughts?
Good luck to you!
Hope you'll finish your project within ten years. :)

We all would like to see your progress.
Please post your report here and let us know what's going.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The screen is definitely widescreen. The classic had the squarish screen, but the 04/05 has a rectangular one.

For touch screen info, you want to tap into AVC, not CAN. On PriusChat, look at the thread Suppressing All Beeps. Someone scoped out AVC, and was able to get touchscreen X/Y info. From what I understand though, touchscreen X/Y was only sent during NAV functions. Outside of NAV, the MFD would send higher level commands to the various devices, since the menu options were built into the MFD software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ken1784 said:
Orion said:
Any thoughts?
We all would like to see your progress.
Please post your report here and let us know what's going.
Okay, here's the step by step so far:

1. Go to Toyota, purchase Prius
2. Go to Coastaletech place order for ViewTech

umm..

And that's all I've got. Err... And now it's just a race between Dave and Toyota as to who can get through their large queue of orders and send me the product I've ordered. I'll be taking bets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts