with abs and manual break lights on
and no brakes (very little)

had the car serviced ($504.00) on thursday
i requested the brakes checked because of poor mileage

tow truck should be here soon

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Sounds like when you said "check the brakes" they thought you said "wreck the brakes."

Mighty strange that the system they worked on now fails. I would press them to justify this.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Little sketchy on the 411 there aren't ya?

What DTC codes have they found? What model year, mileage, etc. What other issues have you had? What fixes have been employed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with Efusco, it is extremely frustrating for the rest of when a poster does not give us information about their particular car when they are talking about a problem. Year, mileage, bought new, ever wrecked, service history and by whom, etc., all of these things can have a great deal to do with vehicle reliability. Thanks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
120000km
green
used
accelerator assembly (big hand syndrome. 800.00 and still doing it)

no codes yet as i posted while the car was being towed

still no codes as there was no warning lights when it arrived at the dealer
that makes me even more worried

if this car can disable the braking system at random for apparently no reason and then reable (is that a word) then it is a death trap.
same thing with the pedal assembly, it just completly shuts down the engine for no reason at all.

i'm sorry to all those who were upset and frustaded at the lack of extra information.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Wasn't there a recall or at least bulletin about faulty pedal assemblies? Maybe you can get them to pay if it is a known defect.

As for the brakes, did they tell you what they had done to "check" them?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I believe he was talking about a "master" brake warning light along with the ABS and that denotes total brake failure. (hydraulic pump failure, or accumulator failure or both. You can also throw in the master cylinder with these.)
Too much to be a coincidence without the request "check the brakes" to the dealer. Sort of sounds like the Prius rep wasn't in that day.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there does not seem to be a lot of prius guys around this town.
i live in vancouver bc and if anyone has any recommendations for a good reliable technician.
i'm a little tired of hearing how complicated the car is and the "i don't even know how they work at all" by service managers (i have heard this many times)

as far as them checking the brakes, this was following poor gas mileage after a lengthy but minor repair after a rear-end accident, i thought maybe the brakes were sticking. i can't say exactly what was done but i was told that there was nothing wrong and that 80% was left on the pads.
the rest of the servicing was for fluids (all of them).

i hope to find out more tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
There is nothing unusual about the Prius hydraulic brake system compared with any other modern car touting ABS. Yes, the car does provide regen braking, but that's not relevant here.

Now I grant you, a Toyota tech or at least someone with the Toyota scan tool would be needed in order to pull codes and perform the needed diagnostic operations, but other than that, nothing special.

If they changed the fluid, they may have left air pockets in the hydraulic system. There is a proper proceedure to follow in order to properly purge the entire system, including the accumulator and brake cylinders.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sounds like we're back to burping... Sheesh, do we get in a topic rut, or what?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
picking up the car tomorrow
i am told that the -hub and berring repair /right front wheel-
is to blame

i noticed a noise (grinding) when turning the wheel to the right
they did not have the part when i did the servicing

i was told that it was not serious and the car is perfectly safe to drive
and of course 3 days later my brakes completely fail
which is the most unsafe of all things to happen

to tell you the truth
i think that Regency Toyota has no clue what went wrong and are
doing this repair hoping that it will go away

i'm getting used to this treatment by toyota and the way the prius is serviced at least in this city

i guess i could try a fourth dealership but i am trying to develop a relationship, and i'm sick of starting over

this car is very dangerous to drive, i hope that someone thinking of buying a prius reads this and thinks again
the computer and sensors are truly in control and when they malfunction they can shut down your engine for no reason and deprive you of brakes

the cost of repairs is ruinous and as far as my experience goes it is rarely repaired properly
qualified technicians are very rare, even if they are certified they often know little more than pluging in the diagnostic tool and replace the part that the computer says

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
KTPhil said:
Maybe you took the car to this place?:

There's one job missing from the sign. Maybe they don't charge for those? :twisted:

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is the first account of a brake issue/failure I've
found on the boards [not that I've searched very deeply,
but if such things were more common I probably would have
come across more mention]. Amusingly, I just had a rather
interesting brake issue myself, which involved replacing the
actuator block [and the subsequent elaborate dance of burping it and
re-calibrating the zero points and all that fun stuff]. The
writeup is landing in prius_technical_stuff, but if someone
really wants the lowdown I'll throw it on a webserver somewhere.
_
It isn't really that big a deal to take off the wipers and cowl cover,
really -- and it's *nice* that simply doing that provides access to
all that stuff hidden behind the engine. Try that on your
typical minivan.
_
_H*

1 - 20 of 31 Posts