Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One other addendum to this story...

As I mentioned earlier, it took several hours to get the car in a position where we could tow it. At one point, the metal casters under the wheel-jacks had fallen off the cement driveway and were stuck in the mud. We were still about 50 feet from the truck, and couldn't push the car back onto the driveway (it was only the one guy and myself).

So, he pulled a cable from the truck and hooked it under the front bumper of my car, and we attempted to winch it back onto the driveway.

This didn't work. He had me run the winch, while he took another jack (a large, conventional one), and jacked up the side while I ran the winch slowly.

At one point, the car seemed to fall off the jack, and I heard a thump.

When I looked under the car, I noticed a dent in the plastic next to the metal frame (where the jack had been). I pointed it out, but he insisted nothing had gone wrong. Later, when his boss had shown up to help, I mentioned it to him. He said, we'll check it out. By then, I was so relieved to get it on the truck, I decided to wait on this.

I brought it up with the service guy at Toyota. When I picked it up, I mentioned it again. He said they looked at it, and there was not problem. Just a dent in the plastic.

Again, this is the plastic underneath the car (not visible from outside) they runs parallel to the metal frame (between the frame and the driver's door).

Is this something I should just ignore? It bugs me that there is a dent, no matter how harmless.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: Hi marlowe7

There's a "Towing Eyelet" provided with your Prius ususally to be found under the cargo area floor. See "Emergency Towing" in your Owner's Manual. The Prius does not seem designed for a towing hook to be attached under the front bumper due to potential damage.

In my 2007 Owner's Manual the Towing Eyelet instructions are found on pp 373-375.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The manual jack was in ADDITION to the hook attached to the towing eyelet.

We were winching the car, while he had the jack underneath the driver's side (I'm not exactly sure what his plan was, as I was back at the truck working the winch).

So, the car fell off the MANUAL jack, while the car was being winched from the two eyelets.

Hope that's clearer...

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you are talking about the black plastic under the engine under the car, it is there to block airflow to make the car more aerodynamic. It won't hurt the drivability or safety of the vehicle if it is dented, punctured or missing, although it may affect your mileage slightly. I doubt you'd notice the change though.
Now if the bumper cover is dented, then the styrofoam and metal bumper underneath (inside) should be checked for damage. If the styrofoam is crushed, it could affect its ability to absorb energy in a crash.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan, I'm talking about the black plastic underneath, just inside of the driver's door. It's BETWEEN the door and a strip of metal frame, and runs lengthwise. The plastic has various holes cut in, possible for air-flow of some kind.

So, the dent is in that section of black plastic. I have no idea what's UNDER that plastic. That, I suppose, is the crux of my question. If the jack was under the metal frame, and fell off, it hit that plastic hard enough to make a thud and dent it.

Is there damage that could be caused by that, beyond the cosmetics (which, being underneath, are pretty nil).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know, but that's part of my problem. The DID claim to have looked at it, and dismissed it as nothing to worry about. However, I'm afraid there may be a conflict of interests. The tow company that caused the dent is the one that Toyota, themselves, specifically sent.

Obviously, they don't want to be liable for any damage. I have a 10K service coming up in about 250 miles, but that may be too late to reasonably contest this.

You're right, I suppose, about the "guesses." Just thought someone might be familiar with that plastic and what's underneath it...

Ah, well. May have to just cross my fingers.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I'll take that under advisement.
But, it ain't easy getting a good picture of that spot under the car. Light, for example, is an issue. Focus is another, and I'm not that adept with the macro settings on my digital camera.

Nonetheless, I'll give it a try when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
marlowe7 said:
So, the car fell off the MANUAL jack, while the car was being winched from the two eyelets.
*Two* eyelets? There's only one towing eyelet. It's under a cover cap in the bumper. If they were winching on the shipping hold-downs under the car, then they made the job harder than it needed to be.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Prius is Dead - Pt. II

Well, from what the towing guy showed me, there are two eyelets. One on the front left, and on the front right. We only connected to one at a time. The reason being, we were trying to get the car back onto the driveway.

As to the damage underneath, I haven't gotten a chance to crawl under there and photograph it, but I'll try to get to it soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are two eyelets formed from welding sheetmetal from the unibody structure of the car. There is one on each side. These are fairly thin and I wouldn't want to be using alot of force on these. I'm sure these are used for anchoring for shipping in the boat. There are two similar eyelets in the back, way underneat by the axle as well if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: Prius is Dead - Pt. II

marlowe7 said:
Well, from what the towing guy showed me, there are two eyelets. One on the front left, and on the front right.
Did the tow truck driver screw in the eylets or were they part of the underside of the car. If he didn't screw them in, then they were not the towing eyelets.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Those aren't mentioned in the owner's manual so I suspect they aren't supposed to be used.
On top of that, the owner's manual shows specific areas to use for jacking up the car, which is at the center of the vehicle. Most other cars there are spots on the side of the body as well as in the center, and eyelets for towing mentioned in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Prius is Dead - Pt. II

Well, I don't know what else to say about the towing eyelets.
They are exactly as Glenk described them, above.

The towing guys certainly acted confident as they attached the winching hook first to one, then the other. According to them, these were, specifically, for towing/winching, etc.

And, whatever the manual might say, they ultimately got the job done. If there was damage caused by winching the car from these two spots, I'm not aware of it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.