Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most conventional cars don't hold up well to lots of short-trip driving, so I was wondering how the Prius would hold up to this routine over time.

My wife is a volunteer care-giver who makes a few short drives every day, 5 days/week. Each of her roundtrips is between 5 and 20 miles (stop & go driving).

Anyone have an idea how well a Prius would hold-up over the years to this type of driving as compared to a conventional car?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Should do quite well, since the MG1 spins the ICE up to 1000rpm before ignition there's little of the classic "cold start wear" that causes so much trouble in a traditional vehicle.

The Prius Taxis have routinely held up quite well and have lasted nearly 200k miles.

Fuel economy will suffer to some degree with short trips.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
efusco said:
Fuel economy will suffer to some degree with short trips.
By "suffer" Doc means it will get twice what any other car would get. Just less than what you get on longer drives with a Prius. Think 35-40 mpg instead of 50.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The big concern was the type of use the Prius will see and the toll that might take on it. I'm not at all concerned about not realizing its max mpg potential as whatever we get will still be much better than a conventional system.

You guys have alleviated my concern about the Prius holding up to that kind of driving day in and day out. Thanks for the reassurance!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.