Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm in California and working with an auto broker to get a 2007 Prius. He's telling me that all Priuses (Prii?? ;) ) come with floor mats -- to the tune of $199. He says it's part of MSRP, but I'm not convinced.

Another Toyota dealership quoted me the same $22,175 MSRP (plus additional car destination charge) and said nothing of $200 more for floor mats.

For my own peace of mind, can anyone tell me if "Floor mats required" is True or False?

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I took delivery of my '06 about two months ago and the floor mats were included in the MSRP (I didn't see them listed anywhere else as an upcharge, they just appeard when I took delivery of the car...but the cost could have easily been buried somewhere else).

Go with your gut feeling and the dealer with whom you've the most experience and "trust" (and I use the latter rather loosely). The cost of the floormats isn't that much, really, I think...for me, more the principle of the matter.

How they handle things like this might be indicative of their response to other issues which may arise in the future.

Oh, and one more thing...you're not thinking about NOT using floor mats, are you? I don't think the base material on the floor seems that durable. Plus there are those little hooks on the driver's side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Pinto_Girl - thanks for your reply. Hope you're enjoying your new car!

Yeah, I'd say for me it's both the money and the principle. I can get floor mats for $20 at Kragen's. My thinking is, "Why pay $200?" I also don't like being told it's part of MSRP when the Toyota Web site itself lists floor mats as an accessory.

I'd be really curious if there was a line item on your bill for floor mats... :)

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hate to repeat what others have said. Floor mats are not required. They can pull them out "at the port" as my dealer puts it. I told them that I will only get the car at the price without the floor mats. I think they will not want to lose a sell because of the floor mats. Now that I think about it, they didn't even want to give me free floor mats!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everybody, thanks for the info. I'll go back to the broker and tell him it's no deal unless he throws the mats in for free. Or doesn't give me mats at all. I don't really care.

The irony: I went to a broker to avoid the haggling that usually goes on at dealerships, but I'm still having to do it to get the broker to earn his fee!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ordered a car with no options except side airbags. Naturally, after waiting 7 months it has the floor mats and first aid kit and grocery sack holder in the back and a totally useless plastic covering on the rear bumper. I was very perturbed and said I didn't want them. Salesman says that's how the port sent it, it's the only one I can get now, he'll just sell the car to someone else. Said I could get one that I wanted but it might be quite a wait. After 20 minutes of me acting huffy and him not backing down (he was actually quite adament) I caved in. It was the only bad experience about buying the car (which I got at MSRP).

Oh well... won't be buying from THAT dealer ever again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MtnTraveler said:
I ordered a car with no options except side airbags. Naturally, after waiting 7 months it has the floor mats and first aid kit and grocery sack holder in the back and a totally useless plastic covering on the rear bumper. I was very perturbed and said I didn't want them. Salesman says that's how the port sent it, it's the only one I can get now, he'll just sell the car to someone else. Said I could get one that I wanted but it might be quite a wait. After 20 minutes of me acting huffy and him not backing down (he was actually quite adament) I caved in. It was the only bad experience about buying the car (which I got at MSRP).

Oh well... won't be buying from THAT dealer ever again.
Well, I've been doing the huffy thing all night! LOL. ;)

May I ask - when you say you got it at MSRP, do you mean the "base MSRP plus destination charge" or the "total, paying for the mandatory accessories that came with it"? Someone pointed me to some inventory lists online, and it appears that MSRPs can vary for the exact same model/color/interior cars. Toyota, as a company, just sends cars with random accessories and tags on the additional costs, but still calls it MSRP.

I don't like it one bit... But I'll still get the Prius.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Accessories aren't installed on/in the car by the factory. Either the port or the dealer installs them, and most of them can be removed.
Some fees can be dropped, some can be negotiated, especially dealer prep/doc fees. After all, they are already getting a nice profit, why should you be subsidizing their cost of business on top of that?

One charge that probably can't be removed and can vary from location to location is the port delivery charge.

Don't stick with any one dealer. Shop around. I understand though if you are reading this, or if you are even on this site for that matter, you already have a done deal.

As for the broker, it is possible he is having trouble finding reasonable dealers that will remove the mats without having to go too far out of his area.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
I understand that that large window sticker has to be put on at the factory which has all charges listed.

I know that in 2004 all Prius had a bottom line MSRP charge of $19,995.00
Mine then lists package#6 $1280.00
.Carpet Floor Mats and Cargo Mat $184.00
.Delivery, Processing and handling fee (To MAssachusetts) $515.00
TOTAL $21,974.00
To which I added $875.00 For the platinum extended warranty.
(Pkg #6 encompassed every option but the Nav Pak.)
I would have purchased the matching mats at the dealer if they had not come with the car from the factory because they were made of premium matching carpet embroidered with Prius and well worth the cost.
Along with this I saved $448.00 on my federal tax because of the "incentive" .... And although I came in the door with an already approved loan at 3.75% from my credit union my dealer offered me one from a local bank at 3.2%.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They are nice mats, but the $20 rubber mats from Costco I originally put on top of them only for the winter now stay there year-round...

rpm

·
Registered
261 Posts
They are nice mats, but the $20 rubber mats from Costco I originally put on top of them only for the winter now stay there year-round...

rpm

OK, I cannot figure out how to delete this dupl. post! The edit button does mention "delete" when you hover over it, but when I get to the Edit Post box, I can't find a way to delete it entirely...help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rpm said:
Yup, rpm. That's pretty much what I expect will happen with me too. Glad some people like their mats though.

hyperion, thanks for the break down. I don't understand what the deal is with Toyota and floor mats, but it seems to me like a way to squeeze more money outta folks!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Okay, I admit it...I like how they say 'Prius' on them, too!

Also just needed to get on with things and didn't want to do any more shopping for accessories...well, except for the TRD Sportiva suspension which was recently added.

But that's another story.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
rpm said:
can anyone tell me how I can delete my own mistakenly duplicated post? (see above)...thanks!
click on the X in the vicinity of the QUOTE button. I believe the option goes away if someone posts after you though. Otherwise someone might reply/refer to what you had in your post, then you delete your post which makes the reply/reference meaningless.
True you could edit your post and blank it out, but at least it is known that you posted something.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
hyperion said:
I understand that that large window sticker has to be put on at the factory which has all charges listed.
The factory, or the port? It isn't possible for the factory to know the port delivery charge.

And Massachusetts wouldn't get the delivery charge either.
Often the port adds accessories to the car. Very common over here in SE region.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts