Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a request to post used engine oil analyses here, but then forgot to. Attached here in an .xls spreadsheet are mine and those from other Prius that I have received.

If anything needs explaining I will follow up. All these are with synthetics except Tadashi's, which was the original Toyota oil fill analyzed after 5k miles. The "engine wear metals" (Al, Cr, Fe, Cu Pb, Sn) are all quite low, except perhaps Tadashi's Cu. There is little indication of dirt (as Si) getting past the engine air filters. I have interest in this as I use the K&N air filter.

The only "extended oil change interval" represented here is my Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30, analyzed at 7k and then again at 13k miles. It was still clean, unchanged in viscosity, but was quite low on total base number after 13k. The 0W20 is still in the engine, and I will have that reanalyzed at about 13k.

If any others would get the oil analysis done, please post your results! I used Blackstone Labs and recommend them, but many alternatives exist.

DAS

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
What happend with Tadashi's Si number?? 271 vs. every else's very low numbers.. Is this a matter of a different Si-based additive package (seeing that many of the additive numbers are zero) or did someone pour a tablespoon of sand down his oil fillter??

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine oil analysis

My best guess is that the new car is bulit with some silicone sealants on gasket surfaces, and some of that is showing up in the oil. This is the first and only initial oil analysis I've seen. He did check on his engine air filter afterwards,and it was fine.

DAS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts