Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Stealth is possible. Just move the accel bar to a max height of the thickness of the bar itself (use the brake button as a comparison)

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
flare said:
OH NO ITS GIVING ME THE TURTLE.. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?!?!?
original 1998-2000 Japanese Prius were prone to the turtle light/mode. Classic 2001-2003 Prius rarely see it (only for really cold days - I've only seen it about 3 times last winter, that's it.) Turtle has been removed for the 2004+ Prius.

Basically, your hybrid traction battery's charge is so low, or it is too cold/hot, that you will not have any electric assist while driving (to protect the battery and help it charge). At least on my 2001 when I've seen the turtle, I didn't really notice that I was lacking anything, but when the turtle light went out you definitely notice the increased acceleration available.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Simulator is stimulating

The Simulator is really good at showing the relationship between the ICE, Motor and Generator.

A few runs at full battery charge at different steady state speeds in both B mode and D mode show some interesting mpg trends. (See the attached graph). Note: You need to let the simulator run a while until the battery is fully charged to get the graph values.

1) B Mode seems to give BETTER mileage at lower speeds!
2) 70 miles per gallon was achieved at 40 miles per hour!
3) It takes about 60 seconds of full accelerator to empty the battery from the 'max' to 'min' settings.

Although the numbers may not be accurate, the simulator's best mileage prediction agrees with the common wisdom about running your vehicle at about 40mph for best mileage.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts