Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is regarding what seems like an issue with 2002 Prius that has about 3000 miles. When I drive the car uphill, the car struggles to climb and maintain / gain speed easily. The speed limit at that part of the road is 45 mph, which Camry and Corolla seem to climb relatively more easily. Also, when I step on the gas for accelerating the car, it becomes noticeably noisy. Is there any thign I am doing wrong? or is this normal for Prius? Should I take this to a dealer for inspection? Any help / suggestions would be gratefully acknowledged. Thanks in advance.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
arpoc said:
This is regarding what seems like an issue with 2002 Prius that has about 3000 miles. When I drive the car uphill, the car struggles to climb and maintain / gain speed easily. The speed limit at that part of the road is 45 mph, which Camry and Corolla seem to climb relatively more easily. Also, when I step on the gas for accelerating the car, it becomes noticeably noisy. Is there any thign I am doing wrong? or is this normal for Prius? Should I take this to a dealer for inspection? Any help / suggestions would be gratefully acknowledged. Thanks in advance.
Sorry about a typo - the mileage is 30000 and not 3000

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
I was going to say, a 2002 Prius with only 3000 miles on it has been really pampered...

Anyhow, I think the problem with the car going uphill is with the driver listening to the car, and not with the car itself. The Prius uses an eCVT, so the sound of the engine correlates with the amount of power being requested from it, and not with a given engine speed. Think of yourself riding a 1-speed bicycle - going downhill, you'll coast, but going up a hill you'll huff and puff and make a lot of noise while trying to pump yourself up the hill. The Prius is very quiet (often shuts off the engine) when coasting downhill, and when going up a hill the engine RPM will be high as it provides the needed power to go up. There's an engine RPM limiter (4000RPM on the Classic, 4500RPM on the 2004+), so the engine isn't really straining itself (redlining). It's just normal to be noisy when under a heavy load, and really quiet when lightly loaded. (Engine speed does not tell you the gear/speed that you are going, like in a regular automatic/manual transmission car).

So, ignore the sound of the car, and just use that accellerator, and you'll have more than enough power to maintain speed.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mrv, thanks for the reponse.

You provided feedback about the noise, but how abotu gaining speed / acceleration on the uphill? How well should I be able to accelerate? The car struggles to increase in speed from 29 mph to 45 mph and beyond that, it is extremely difficult to increase the speed. (The uphill starts after a ramp, so the speed of the car is very low when I emerge out of the ramp)..Is this kind of difficulty in acceleration common with Prius? Am I justified expecting from Prius the same or comparable acceleration as Corolla or Camry?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Don't let the sudden loudness of the engine prevent you from flooring it. Some people tend to back off on the accelerator when this happens, but it doesn't hurt the car. A 2002 Prius should have acceleration about in line with a Corolla, a bit less than a Camry. A 2004 would do better.

P.S. to Michelle, I believe you mean 4500 RPM for the 2001-03 and 5000 RPM for the 2004-05.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
RSnyder said:
Don't let the sudden loudness of the engine prevent you from flooring it. Some people tend to back off on the accelerator when this happens, but it doesn't hurt the car. A 2002 Prius should have acceleration about in line with a Corolla, a bit less than a Camry. A 2004 would do better.

P.S. to Michelle, I believe you mean 4500 RPM for the 2001-03 and 5000 RPM for the 2004-05.
Thanks. I knew one of them was 4500RPM, and that the 2004+ was 500RPM higher, but I didn't remember my start point. Thanks for correcting my faulty memory. :)

Yeah, I think this is a case of someone listening to the engine and instinctively letting off of the accelerator (fear of harming the vehicle), and then thinking it's the car (which is only following your directions). Prius is usually compared to better than a V4 Camry, close (but not quite) a V6 Camry..

·
Registered
105 Posts
arpoc said:
acceleration on the uphill? How well should I be able to accelerate? The car struggles to increase in speed from 29 mph to 45 mph and beyond that, it is extremely difficult to increase the speed.
How steep is this hill??? Must be very steep.

Here's one advantage the Civic has - you can shift down & redline the engine at 6000 rpm. With the Prius you don't have that option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts