Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to post this earlier this week...pregnancy brain struck, and I forgot...

Anyway, went visiting family last weekend, including my Dad. He lives at the top of a VERY steep dirt (no gravel) road, 1/2 mile or so long. It is a vertical change of 800 feet. (Yeah, my degree in geology made me look it up on a topo map). I didn't calculate the gradient, but I'd say parts of it are approaching 30-35 degrees. (Maybe??)

Anyway, the road is not in the best shape, but not horrible, and the Prius probably would have made it had it not been for the lousy tires on it at the moment. (Gotta change them this month before inspection time.) When we got to the steepest part of the road, the tires began to spin, traction control light kept coming on, and the poor baby refused to budge another inch up that hill. I even made hubby and Dad get out, but even the 400 lb difference that made didn't make a difference.

So, I backed down to the closest "flat" spot in the road, parked her, and walked the rest of the way.

Anyone else try the Prius in a similar situation? I felt bad that I'd strained her.

OH - the weirdest thing was that after I left, the gas gauge had reset itself to zero...

So, what are the best tires to use, anyway? I know I saw a tire thread here not too long ago, but can't find it. (PG brain again - I hope I return to my former brain after my cargo is unloaded in a couple weeks.)

Danka,

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Don't just make them get out ... make them PUSH! I mean there's a pregnant lady on board! (Congratulations!)
800 feet in a half mile is a pretty steep grade and on dirt besides. Even good tires would have been put to the test. Imagine if it had been wet as well!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hee hee...

Ya'll crack me up... I do love reading this forum. Though right now, my students are wondering what has me SOOO amused... (I really ought not to be reading this stuff while they are testing, ya know??)

Yep, had that road been wet, I wouldn't have even tried. At that point, I know the road becomes strictly 4wd territory. Dry, though, most FWD cars can do it.

As for saying "push" - I'd welcome any encouragement to get this little one here... I'm ready, apparently, he isn't. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Kid wants to be sure you don't miss any school - very thoughtful. Prolly will take a briefcase and wear a tie and wingtips to 3d grade.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
hmmm, I'd say stick-on Velcro. (for the car, not the baby :? )

My Dr did say that sometime the medication loses its effect over time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'd think a bear with furry paws would try to stay away from Velcro as far as possible... :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds similer ?

http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?p=32557

SnakePuncess said:
I meant to post this earlier this week...pregnancy brain struck, and I forgot...

Anyway, went visiting family last weekend, including my Dad. He lives at the top of a VERY steep dirt (no gravel) road, 1/2 mile or so long. It is a vertical change of 800 feet. (Yeah, my degree in geology made me look it up on a topo map). I didn't calculate the gradient, but I'd say parts of it are approaching 30-35 degrees. (Maybe??)

Anyway, the road is not in the best shape, but not horrible, and the Prius probably would have made it had it not been for the lousy tires on it at the moment. (Gotta change them this month before inspection time.) When we got to the steepest part of the road, the tires began to spin, traction control light kept coming on, and the poor baby refused to budge another inch up that hill. I even made hubby and Dad get out, but even the 400 lb difference that made didn't make a difference.

So, I backed down to the closest "flat" spot in the road, parked her, and walked the rest of the way.

Anyone else try the Prius in a similar situation? I felt bad that I'd strained her.

OH - the weirdest thing was that after I left, the gas gauge had reset itself to zero...

So, what are the best tires to use, anyway? I know I saw a tire thread here not too long ago, but can't find it. (PG brain again - I hope I return to my former brain after my cargo is unloaded in a couple weeks.)

Danka,

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lowspeed said:
[/quote]

Bingo, that's exactly what happened. The tires eventually just stopped turning. Gas pedal couldn't coax any more motion from the vehicle - it wouldn't even try. I felt so bad for my little spaceship (and then wondered where the button was for hovering, but couldn't find it anywhere...)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
mgaelli said:
I'd think a bear with furry paws would try to stay away from Velcro as far as possible... :wink:
You are absolutely correct... :D

·
Registered
669 Posts
My little Pod negotiated a dirt road with alacrity, but it was no 4-wheel drive beastie and I did hit that famous engine cover on a rut...

Dunno why I am reminded of this but a friend of mine had the following in her sig file during her pregnancy: "You can swaddle the child, but whether or not the child stays swaddled is up to the child... unless you use duct tape."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts