Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
As much as I love PriusChat, if it doesn't get more stable and faster, I am going to have to visit less frequently. Takes several hours to catch up for one day, and during middle of day, I can't keep up with the main forum!

·
Registered
420 Posts
DanMan32 said:
As much as I love PriusChat, if it doesn't get more stable and faster, I am going to have to visit less frequently. Takes several hours to catch up for one day, and during middle of day, I can't keep up with the main forum!
DanMan - You actually try to keep up with the PriusChat main forum?!? :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I try, but not successfully as of late. Latencies are getting up there! 10-20 seconds to create the page. According to the stats at the bottom of the page, seems the SQL server is bogged down.

Lately been skipping some threads on snow tires, car purchases, etc. Esp if the posts are long winded. Thing is, even if the original topic isn't something I may be interested in, someone might throw something in that I am interested in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't quite understand why there are server problems. Granted, the load at PriusChat is still a little larger than that at GreenHybrid, but GreenHybrid is still taking up just a small fraction of the resources of the entire server. A dedicated server should be more than enough. Perhaps it's just badly written and executed code in phpBB and the third-party portal software Danny's been using? I don't claim to be much of an expert on servers...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
greenhybrid said:
Perhaps it's just badly written and executed code in phpBB and the third-party portal software Danny's been using? I don't claim to be much of an expert on servers...
I think that's the money...Danny's been expressing frustration with the phpBB...supposedly he's got someone helping to try to get things straightened out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah. Makes sense. I've never liked phpBB because I've found it slow, user-unfriendly and ugly. But, two of those three are personal opinions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Phpbb's SQL interface to MySQL is really bad.... I've seen many boards have chronic, all-consuming problems with it.

It can be managable on a Unix box, a true nail-biter on Windows...

I bugged Danny about going to vBulletin, but he doesn't want to pay the $$$ since he's trying to set up multiple boards.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I guess it's a matter of business decisions. I know on my site I've used hundreds of dollars of revenue for online software purchases. vBulletin, vBadvanced Gallery, JpGraph and now vB Articles is a commercial product, as well. True, it's more expensive to operate that way. But, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the community.

I actually started with InvisionBoard, which I like better than phpBB. It was free at the time, though I think they now license it out. Ultimately, it didn't offer enough add-ons and it wasn't customizable like I wanted it. Features were lacking.

There are also countless other bulletin board software. I don't know how they all coexist! Survival of the fittest, surely.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
greenhybrid said:
I actually started with InvisionBoard, which I like better than phpBB. It was free at the time, though I think they now license it out. Ultimately, it didn't offer enough add-ons and it wasn't customizable like I wanted it. Features were lacking.
While I'm not as frequent a visitor there as I am here (I do have to get *some* work done each day after all) I gotta chime in here and say your site has one of the most cleanly elegant layouts I've seen in a long while...

·
Registered
919 Posts
My relatives speak Greek and I can understand them better than you guys. But thanks for keeping the chat going.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: It's a shame... such a good forum PRIUSCHAT; however, even when it isn't "down" it's PAINFULLY slow... and I have DSL service. Sure hope a good solution is forthcoming.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I seem to be a member of all 3 boards, PriusChat, PriusOnline and Green Hybrid. I like them all, but for different reasons. I feel that PriusOnline and Green Hybrid are the most browser neutral. PriusChat is awful at home on an older MacOS 9 laptop running IE 5.1.7 (last version of that ever). PriusChat is almost unusable at home. Too slow, and page display and development is clunky, cumbersome and doesn't show up correctly in the window about half of the time.

Green Hybrid is nice because of the mileage database, and all of the extra effort that seem to be put in to keep it up and running and useable. And it works well in my configuration behind a modem. Plus it is nice to read posts from drivers of other manufacturers hybrids.

I'm under the impression that Priusonline and Priuschat use the same bulletin board software, but online seems to run better than chat.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
PriusOnline uses phpBB for the forum software on a Linux server. Very few modifications to the original code have been made to keep it compatable with as many browsers as possible and keep the speed up. While the extra packages available do enhance the capabilities I chose to install very few in favor of stability and speed over enhanced functions. With around 2.5 million hits a month this seems to be working out well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you say 2.5 million, I assume you mean generic file download hits? Hits is a pretty vague term among Internet developers. With a number so high, it's unlikely you mean visits. Could be files, pages, visits, visitors, unique visitors, search engine links, search engine click-thrus, etc...

·
Registered
19 Posts
How's this for irony?

Today I've received thousands of database errors through email. It doesn't seem to be having an effect on the site, but it's a definite problem I am looking into. Plus, it's annoying the hell out of me, downloading all these messages only to delete them!

Pete, ok gotcha. Now it makes sense :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts