Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to get my company (Wawanesa) to give me a break on car insurance. I told them about the engine immobiliser and said it was anti-theft device. They replied that it was not possible to give a discount based on the Prius engine immobiliser.

Anyone else ever get a discount?. My car has no other anti-theft system.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't know if I got a discount or not. All I know is that my insurance went down when I bought my 04 Prius (new). The vehicle it replaced was an 02 Ford Ranger 4X4 pickup. My insurance company is AMICA. They can tell exactly what the car is equipped with from the VIN.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Only 76%?

The Prius was cheaper to insure than the other vehicle we were considering, a Hyundai Elantra GT, which would have cost nearly $10,000 less.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The VIN number tells the entire story as to what your vehicle is equipped with. So, if your insurer is using VIN detail lookup, they can tell of you have the security system activated from the factory, or if that system is not active and the engine imobalizer is the only item in place.

What package do you have? That will help us let you know if you can claim you have a theft system or not based upon what the insurer is seeing when they do a VIN lookup.

·
Registered
93 Posts
David Duchesne said:
I tried to get my company (Wawanesa) to give me a break on car insurance. I told them about the engine immobiliser and said it was anti-theft device. They replied that it was not possible to give a discount based on the Prius engine immobiliser.

Anyone else ever get a discount?. My car has no other anti-theft system.
Geico in PA gave me a discount for a passive anti-theft device/engine immobilizer.

Bob

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
So David, what is your package number? If it is high enough you do have anti-theft and your insurance company is being stingy. Of course, if you do have factory anti-theft you might only get $8.00, which is equally stingy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
insurance

I have a package 1- U.S. base bought in NH. There is no anti-theft activated althought I am thinking of asking a kindly dealer to turn it on. I doubt they will do it in Canada where I live as I did not buy it at my home dealership.

·
Registered
121 Posts
hyperion said:
My premiums haven't changed from those on my Town and Country(I live in a compulsory state where even Allstate won't consider insuring) and my car was automatically listed for the anti theft discount by the RMV.. The discount on the $700 premium was $8.00.
Whoa! is that a year or every six months?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't bet on the VIN giving you the max discount. I have State Farm and I went back to them and told them about the immobilizer and they had me fill out a form that gave me an additional discount.

·
Registered
54 Posts
kirby said:
Don't bet on the VIN giving you the max discount. I have State Farm and I went back to them and told them about the immobilizer and they had me fill out a form that gave me an additional discount.
If you have a chance, could you find out what the form's called? My State Farm agent said he couldn't offer anything over the VIN.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its just their normal form (at least here in NJ) where you select the coverage you want. Its about a 10 page form and you pick all the options for coverage and deductibles. One of the sections is for discounts for security options and the like. There are several levels of discount based on the type of alarm system. My agent never requires any substatiation it is just what I claim the vehicle has.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
jeromep said:
The VIN number tells the entire story as to what your vehicle is equipped with. So, if your insurer is using VIN detail lookup, they can tell of you have the security system activated from the factory, or if that system is not active and the engine imobalizer is the only item in place.

What package do you have? That will help us let you know if you can claim you have a theft system or not based upon what the insurer is seeing when they do a VIN lookup.
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) cannot tell an insurer much beyond that you have a certain model of car, and if it has side air bags. In the case of the 2004-? Prius, the alarm/anti-theft package can be added after delivery, so unless you have access to dealer records, the insurance agent won't give you your discount.

All Classic Prius come with the engine immobilizer and alarm. (2004-? only have the engine immobilizer, alarm has to be activated...)

When I went to my insurance agent for my 2001, she said that they'd already know all about my car by the VIN and I'd get my discounts. When the policy came in, no discounts. I had to fax over a copy of my window sticker to prove I should get the antitheft discounts...

When my mother got her 2002, same story, just different agent/insurer. She had to bring her window sticker to the agent to be photocopied to get her discount.

Thankfully, we were very adamant with our 2004, and didn't have to fight for the discounts...

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
mrv said:
jeromep said:
VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) cannot tell an insurer much beyond that you have a certain model of car, and if it has side air bags. In the case of the 2004-? Prius, the alarm/anti-theft package can be added after delivery, so unless you have access to dealer records, the insurance agent won't give you your discount.
I gave the VIN number to my insurance company and they knew exactly how the car was equipped. They read off thier info and I compared it to the sticker. They were right on!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Insurance in Washington, DC - my '05 Prius premium is $300/year less than my '99 Chrysler 300M. Thieves tried to steal the 300M once, but were unsuccessful. Might be because the it's a semi-smart key - has an ID chip but not the SKS features.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here in Central Valley of California, the Auto Club wants $950 year. That was raised from $350 per year for the old '96 Saturn SL-2.

However, with the difference in fuel savings over a year, it should work out to be a wash. :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you really like the auto club that's ok.

If you want to shop around, try 21st Century. I pay $756 a year. That's about $200 more than I was paying for my old 1996 Saturn SC2 coupe.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Prius is $10 cheaper with full coverage a month compared to my wife's Rav4 with just liability.

Also the Supra I sadly parted with to happily acquire the Prius was $85 more per month with the same coverage than the Prius ended up being.

Right now we pay a total of about $284 per 6-month policy on the two vehicles.... and insurance company to remain nameless. 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts