Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good source for Prius car covers? My house is on a fully-wooded lot, and I have to protect the paint from pine-sap.

I've always heard that car-covers do more harm than good, but I think this may be my only solution, so I would like to find a well-made cover that won't damage the paint.

What has your experience with car-covers been?

Thanks...

·
Registered
84 Posts
My only experience with a car cover was negative; a cat decided to sleep on the car cover and sratch the cover, thereby scratching also the paint. And this was on a Porsche 911.

Taking the antenna on is a hassle.

·
Registered
82 Posts
So if your housing community won't allow car canopies, and you just moved to Davis where either tree pollen or ash is raining down on your beautiful baby,... What do you do? Just keep it washed and waxed? cover it in the day but let it breathe at night of vice versa? any advice as always is appreciated.
Pauline
:idea:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Holy Acorns

I've been looking for something to protect from acorn damage. When I showed my last car to a potential buyer he asked about all the little dents. I had forgotten about the acorns. The lower branches of the tree are gone so the little suckers get up to terminal velocity before hitting the car.

Oddly enough, there are no acorns this year. That gives me a year to get something in the way of a cover.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I had a cover for another car a LONG time ago; think the brand was CoverCraft (can't remember). It was "relatively expensive" for my budget at the time (between $100-200), but worth it. Light to moderate rain pretty much "bounced off", and it was somehow micro-perforated to allow the cover itself to "breathe". There was also a lining on the underside to help protect the paint. Basically, I kept the car covered when it was dry and I could cover it that way, but if I had to take it off in the rain, I left it off until both car and cover were dry again (and preferably washed first). I'd recommend getting the best one you can reasonably afford.

Fortunately, I can park my 2004 in a garage at home AND at work, so it's actually not "exposed" all that much unless I'm "out and about" all day long (which is seldom).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been using a "noah" (brand of material) cover on my Cadillac Allante for the past four years. Purchased at Californiacarcover.com. Expensive about $200.00. Made of a rather heavy quilted type fabric. After about third time of applying it took on its own shape is now a two minute operation. Fabric is unbelievable. Waterproof but also breaths, and after a few applications becomes soft and is like a large polishing cloth. It has been so successful that even though I have a garage for the Prius it was the first accessory I bought for the car. Same company and same material and same price. About $190.00. They are well tailored and fit car like a glove. Difficult to cover first few times but then slip on like a sock. Calcarcover assured me they knew exactly where to put the antenna "sock" and they did perfectly and then I read in the owners manual that the antenna is made to screw off for car washes and guess what! it does. I bought the cover for my occasional trips through Texas as a protection from hailstones and it works. (when parked outdoors)

·
Registered
130 Posts
About the "cats" and other critters who take kindly to soft car covers I have found that by laying a sheet of "Bounce" (used in clothes dryer) on roof, trunk and hood keeps just about anything away including "meeses" It sticks like velcro and won't blow off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts