Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been a hot topic over at PriusChat so I thought I might give everyone here a chance to get in on it. There has been a lot of discussion about block heaters for the 04-06 Prius. I have been able to get them for a few people so far and the interest is still growing. I am in the process of compiling a list of names for the next bulk order. I am looking for around 5 more people to complete my order. They are going for $33.00 plus shipping right now. The average total is around $40.00. It looks like the price will be going up in the future so this price is only good for this order. I can also get heaters for the classic for the same price. They can be added to the same order. They just have not been as popular so far. If you are interested please contact me directly and I will add you to the current list.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopi ... ock+heater

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey, Jesse, I asked in one of those threads how difficult the install is for the mechanically challenged, and you suggested it might be a little tough (forgive me if my paraphrasing is off). I failed to follow up with these questions, if you can answer: Do you think my local dealer would be willing to install it, and if so, what would be a reasonable installation charge to expect?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would think that they would install it, but they might not want to get into it since it is not something that is a Toyota USA accessory. It probably will have to be taken on a dealer by dealer basis. I would say that 2-3 hours at something close to $80.00 per hour would be reasonable.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
JimboK said:
Hey, Jesse, I asked in one of those threads how difficult the install is for the mechanically challenged, and you suggested it might be a little tough (forgive me if my paraphrasing is off). I failed to follow up with these questions, if you can answer: Do you think my local dealer would be willing to install it, and if so, what would be a reasonable installation charge to expect?

Thanks,
Jim
The install is not 'mechanically difficult'. No tools are necessary, you'll need a few zip ties (can't remember if they come with the heater core or not).

It's just a little tricky due to the confined space there is to work in.
The process is simple though trick for the dexterity challenged. You put some thermo lube on the core, reach up to the ICE from under the car, orient the core properly and it slides and clips in place. Then you have to attach a plug to the 3 prongs on the core...this is the trickiest part b/c it's so difficult to orient the plug in the confined space.

There's a long thread about this over at PC with lots of details as well as photos. Also, depending upon where you live, you might be able to find someone to come over and assist you. Lastly, if you can get one-on-one with your Prius tech you might ask if he'd be willing to come over and do it for you in his free time for cash.

·
Registered
140 Posts
efusco said:
The install is not 'mechanically difficult'....

Lastly, if you can get one-on-one with your Prius tech you might ask if he'd be willing to come over and do it for you in his free time for cash.
It doesn't need to be mechanically difficult for the mechanically challenged (aka, me) to be a little intimidated. :)

Besides, as busy as I am at the moment, I'd be inclined to pay someone anyway. I like the idea of offering a side job to the Prius tech. I may go that route if I decide to buy it.

Just curious though: What you're describing doesn't seem to be something that would take the 2-3 hours that Jesse mentions. Am I missing something?

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are not missing anything but the question was what to expect when going to a dealer. I said that being charged for 2-3 hours of labor would be a reasonable time to expect a technician to quote. I was not saying that a reasonably mechanical person would take that amount of time to do the job.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gotcha. Silly me, I naively assumed a 2-3 hour quote meant 2-3 hours of work!

Thanks to both of you. Actually, I'll probably hold off on this for now. I split my time between the place where I rent and my fiancee's house. Plugging in at her house would not be a problem, but it probably wouldn't work at the rental place. So I'd get the benefit only about half the time.

Additionally, in between these posts, I bought a like-new ScanGauge I from a PriusChat member. I gotta pace myself with these mods. My ex expects her support payments on time!

Jim

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
JimboK said:
Gotcha. Silly me, I naively assumed a 2-3 hour quote meant 2-3 hours of work!

Thanks to both of you. Actually, I'll probably hold off on this for now. I split my time between the place where I rent and my fiancee's house. Plugging in at her house would not be a problem, but it probably wouldn't work at the rental place. So I'd get the benefit only about half the time.

Additionally, in between these posts, I bought a like-new ScanGauge I from a PriusChat member. I gotta pace myself with these mods. My ex expects her support payments on time!

Jim
No, no, no, that's totally the wrong logic to apply!! :wink:
You have a scangauge so you can monitor the ICE temp, now you need the EBH so you can see the benefit directly! See, one thing plays into another.

The thing with the install is just how akward it can be to find the right orientation on things. If you find it quickly thanks to nimble fingers you could accomplish the entire install in 15 minutes. It took me almost an hour and a half, but I was one of the first to do it and spent a lot of time fumbling, cursing, putting bandages on scraped fingers, cursing some more, trying different angles and approaches, etc.

Having done it once before I'm pretty sure I could do it in about 30 minutes now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
efusco said:
No, no, no, that's totally the wrong logic to apply!! :wink:
You have a scangauge so you can monitor the ICE temp, now you need the EBH so you can see the benefit directly!
No, no, no, that's totally wrong of you to tempt me that way!! :wink:

efusco said:
Having done it once before I'm pretty sure I could do it in about 30 minutes now.
Making any trips to Virginia any time soon? :D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Is it that time of the year already to be thinking of block heaters? It's hard to consider that when you are still sweating and losing MPG during the day.
Blah, blah, blah...not listening!!! 8) Started using my EBH last week, intermittently b/c of some cool mornings (in the 40s).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sorry Evan, I think you're getting too serious. I wasn't saying you guys in cooler climates don't have a need to think of such things. It's just a suprise for me that it's already fall, since I am still sweating.

Went to the beach today for a swim. That was refreshing considering it was starting to get quite warm, especially in the sun.

Now excuse me, I need to take a shower to get all this salt off of me.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Sorry Evan, I think you're getting too serious. I wasn't saying you guys in cooler climates don't have a need to think of such things. It's just a suprise for me that it's already fall, since I am still sweating.

Went to the beach today for a swim. That was refreshing considering it was starting to get quite warm, especially in the sun.

Now excuse me, I need to take a shower to get all this salt off of me.
No, I thought you were teasing me...sorry, the 'net can make the tenor and tone tough. I just thought you were teasingly mocking me/us in the cooler climes! Was trying to be jovial and humorous back at you.

It's really not that bad here, and I expect to see days in the low 90s again before Fall comes for good. But there have been some days of unseasonably cold just to warn us that winter is on it's way.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
efusco said:
Blah, blah, blah...not listening!!! 8)
You know what? I misunderstood that. I thought you meant I was not listening, when in fact you were plugging up your ears and not listening to me! I was teasing. A little. Also wondering where the time has gone. It didn't seem long ago the kids were leaving school for the summer.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well, I just drove to the coast via Rocky Mtn House. There was about a foot of snow on the ground (road was bare and dry) in the forest between Rocky and Banff National Park. The storm even knocked trees down. Impressive! It's still above freezing, -MOST- of the time. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest. I will be making 09/28/06 the new cutoff for the current order. If interest is still high after that I will do another order again soon after. Unfortunately the price will be going up for the next round. I am not sure of what the price will be yet, but I would guess somewhere in the area of $45.00 plus shipping. So if you want to save money get in now, there is no limit to how many you can purchase and no limit to the number of people. I just have to cut it off somewhere so that people do not have to wait forever to get them. Again please send an email to me that includes Name, Address, Telephone Number and the year of your Prius. Once you do that you will be on the list and I will contact you again later once the heaters are in. At that point payment will be due. Credit card payment is preferred, but personal checks, cashiers checks, and money orders will also be accepted. They will hold the order up to allow for the funds to clear and then the order will be shipped once that has happened. Again if there are any other questions please email me and I will get back to you timely. Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got one from Jesse for one of my '02 Prius just a couple of weeks ago. Another poster sent me some great pictures of where the hole was to insert the thing. I put the car up on ramps and quickly gave up, even though I have rebuilt engines and done other work on cars. It was just to difficult to do this on my back -- you really need the car about 4-5 feet off the ground.

I went to the local service station and showed the mechanic what I wanted to do and made an appointment. He was very nice, but probably sorry he agreed to help me out. You need to be a contorsionist with small arms to get in and do this. He burned himself on the block as well. Also the unit would not go into the hole, as it was partly filled with sand and other road grit. He took a three foot section of 1/4" tubing and bent the last 3" at 90 degrees so he could fit it into the hole - he then attached his high pressure air hose to it and blew all the crap out. After doing that he got the thing in and then had a bear of a time getting the wire plugged onto it. When he was done roughly 30 minutes had elapsed. I asked he what I owed him for his troubles and he said how about $35, I handed him two twentys and said keep the change -- money well spent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.