1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's not quite time to replace them yet but will the technology
involved in the batteries improve and will it be available
for older the prius (classic).

are the batteries in the 2004/5 better and are they compatible with older models?

·
Registered
928 Posts
So far, I've seen NO indication that it will ever be time to replace the HV battery in a 2001 or later Prius. The batteries in the 2004/5 are better because internal resistance was reduced by better intercell connection. I think the 7.2V modules are compatible sizes/shapes, but I'm not sure of this. The 2004/5 batteries use fewer modules, thus have lower voltage, so you cannot directly swap full battery assemblies between the two models.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's reassuring
so far the most common question i get asked is
battery life and cost of replacement
it seems that everyone concentrates on that
and forget that all cars are made of parts that will some day fail

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have never heard of a single battery failure in any Classic or '04 Prius. A few Classics have racked up a quarter of a million miles. At this point it can safely be said that a battery failure any time during the life of the car would be a freak event. And with the 100,000-mile warranty (longer in some states) there will be used batteries available due to accidents before yours is out of warranty.

The battery is not a reasonable thing to be concerned about. On the other hand, the Prius has no tranny or clutch to wear out!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I found this site interesting: http://www.batteryuniversity.com

If the information in there is correct, then all batteries based on Nickel will have a time and usage limit, and would eventually need to be changed sooner or later.

I have no facts on this, but I am thinking between 15 and 20 years of service for a 2004 Prius.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone know if there is going to be any developing technology that will improve these batteries? Can they be made more economically, more powerful or smaller?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Doug said:
Does anyone know if there is going to be any developing technology that will improve these batteries? Can they be made more economically, more powerful or smaller?
Technology continues to advance. Batteries will continue to get better.

As long as we have oil, we'll be able to make the plastic and metal casings, and mine, mill, or otherwise manufacture the nickel and other "guts" of the batteries.

Hmmm, it just occurred to me how ironic and truly funny that is... :roll:

Forgive me, I just finished with schoolwork....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts