Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was feeling frisky this week and planted the foot on a quiet straight stretch and was impressed with how the Prius handled at 165km/h. Not sure I'd do it again coz it was a bit noisy and the steering was a little twitchy.

One alarming concept was rapidly dissappearing battery bars. When I noticed they were going about every 10 seconds and I only had 4 left, from almost full when I planted the foot! I had no idea the electric motor would still be working at those speeds.

One amusing concept was the guage said 13.6 l/100kph, which is about what our Subaru Liberty gets at 100kph :lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
maybe you should check your tires or something because my car rides smooth at top speeds. I know the 1st time i did about 70 on the highway I said whoa because i couldn't feel that i was going that fast.

·
Registered
45 Posts
High Speed`

About five weeks ago, I rented a 2005 Prius from Dublin Toyota in Dublin, CA. In driving it home South on I-680, I decided to try to keep up with the flow of traffic and found myself going 80 mph! The car felt solid, the steering did not feel "twitchy", and it was still quieter than my '94 Tercel or my 2002 Altima.

When I took the rental car back to the dealer, I walked straight over to the fleet manager's office and placed my order for a new blue Prius. Loaded. Delivery is supposed to be the last week in October, or the first week in November.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
They are a solid vehicle. I find the steering to be very sensitive and at high speeds that is definitly the case, but you learn how the car operates and how it will react on the highway and everything is just fine.

Well, the battery bars were dissappearing because to obtain the speeds you were going the vehicle had to assist the ICE with electric motor power. However, once you had stopped accelerating the vehicle would have found the sweet spot in the ICE and it would have stopped drawing on the battery so heavily.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: High Speed`

Stan Bringer said:
About five weeks ago, I rented a 2005 Prius from Dublin Toyota in Dublin, CA. In driving it home South on I-680, I decided to try to keep up with the flow of traffic and found myself going 80 mph! The car felt solid, the steering did not feel "twitchy", and it was still quieter than my '94 Tercel or my 2002 Altima.

When I took the rental car back to the dealer, I walked straight over to the fleet manager's office and placed my order for a new blue Prius. Loaded. Delivery is supposed to be the last week in October, or the first week in November.
There you go. That is the way to do it. BOOM! Just place the order. I like that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Like you.. I got a wild urge to see how fast this thing (04 Prius with 5000 miles on it) would go. Long straight smooth road.. cool day at sea level..No traffic.. I saw 107 mph but it seemed to settle at 105. Nothing unusual except the scenery passed by at an excepectional rate. The little 4 banger was roaring up there but not as noisy as some other cars I've owned. (a Caddy V-8 is very quiet at 100..a Porsche 6 is not)
Yes..it seemed a little "twitchy" at first but I settled down and drove with a gentler hand. After a few miles it felt like any other light car being driven a tick too fast. I didn't look at the battery bars at the time but when I got back down below mach one I didn't see anything unusual. Given a safe road and no traffic, I'd be comfortable driving my Prius at 100 mph for long stretches. The brakes are exceptionally effective.
As far as the elec drive motor is concerned: I would presume that 100+ mph takes all the horse power both power plants can produce.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Motor Trend depleted the battery (to 1 bar, not zero charge, of course)trying to run full throttle through Cajon Pass. Car dropped doen to 55 or so until the batteries recharged. This is not an autobahn cruiser.

I pushed it at nearely 80 up Gaviota Pass for about 5miles and it never had to slow down. It sounds like around 85-90 it takes more than the ICE can handle, so the battery eventually is drained.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have driven my 2001 Prius at 109-110 most the way from Seattle to Portland....

over 100mph it does start to shake. I tkink it has to doo with the wind risistance... Other then that it was fine...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I drove my car at 104 MPH and it felt solid, I could go faster but I had trafic in the road. Next time I go to Vegas I will push it above 104 and will see the max.

·
Registered
84 Posts
going up the great divide( about 7800 ft) in AZ at 78 MPH I noticed I was down to 1 bar and the engine had a noticeable scream to it as the battery was no longer helping :cry: . Coming down the other side i had all bars full as that was mostly coasting :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on the highway
I should probably explain it was no highway, just a uneven single-lane country road, so I had to steer fairly small.

Have been driving a bit this week coz I crashed my bike last week :( Have noticed the electric motor kicks in and is (mostly) draining the battery above 125 kph. I've stopped pushing my luck now and keeping to the speed limit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts