Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a 2006 Prius. I live in Chicago. My current car has all wheel drive -- which has been great for driving in snow and icy road conditions. My question is how does the Prius handle in those conditions? I'm also concerned that there was no low gear (which can also help in bad weather). Is that a legitimate concern?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
SamNChgo said:
I am looking to get a 2006 Prius. I live in Chicago. My current car has all wheel drive -- which has been great for driving in snow and icy road conditions. My question is how does the Prius handle in those conditions? I'm also concerned that there was no low gear (which can also help in bad weather). Is that a legitimate concern?
I don't know if Chi is as good as the Twin Cities in snow removal, but we are usually down to bare pavement within 36 hours after a snow. My car handled beautifully last winter. I love the VSC and traction control. There was only one storm where I was out in 6+ inches of new snow and I had a blast experimenting with what the VSC does. I didn't have to tackle any hills of significance which can be a pain with the traction control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hep,

Thanks for the report. I'm assuming, then, that there is no problem with cold weather starts?

Sam

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
SamNChgo said:
Hep,

Thanks for the report. I'm assuming, then, that there is no problem with cold weather starts?

Sam
Push the button and it's on! No "crank and pray". It will be the most reliable cold weather start in the parking lot!!! :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
It's one of the better front wheel drive cars. The electric drive gives you much more precise control. Which is to say it's no where near as good as well implemented all-wheel drive (Audi or Subaru).

Since most communities feel it's important to keep roads passable most of the time, a Prius will be good enough for almost all driving this winter with the possible exception of immediately during or after a blizzard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts